Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple...

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 6, 2010
The United States
Just wondering. Besides, it's fun to make predictions. :cool:

iPod Nano: capacity bumps (new 16GB and 32GB models), increase in battery life

iPod Shuffle: capacity bump from 2GB to 4GB

iPod Classic (despite many declaring it "dead", I'm betting on one more refresh for its 10th anniversary): I expect a storage upgrade (to 240GB), with a possible redesign and increase in battery life

Pretty bland updates if you ask me - it's a good thing I don't work at Apple. :D

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I really don't see how they can make these things better other than more storage and the A5 processor (for the Touch). Of course, a redesign would be good, but how much more thin can you make the Shuffle?

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
I think the Shuffle is done - it has little use anymore and isn't competitive. It just clutters the iPod line.

Nano needs a price drop. $149 for that itty bitty thing? No.

Classic, if they decide not to kill it, will probably get a capacity bump. Otherwise, there's not much else to do to it.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I have a current-gen Shuffle and use it when I don't want to hold a bigger product for just music-listening (and I don't want to look at a screen or hold a product that has a screen).

It has its own little niche. But I understand where you're coming from. If you have an iPhone, there's no need for it.

But like I said, when all you want to do is listen to music and not use a device with a screen, the Shuffle comes in handy (although the sound quality is not as good as iOS devices).

I happen to feel the whole iPod lineup is cluttered, to be honest. With iPhone, iPad, and Macs, iPods come in last place. In my mind, this is the order of "goodness" for Apple products.

1. Mac lineup
2. iPhone/iPad

3. iPod lineup

singlestick

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2011
Southern California
I notice more people, including teens, getting Touches, so I wonder if there is really much place for the iPod line? There might still be a place for a nano, but the Shuffle and the Classic might no longer be relevant to many users.

TheSuperSteve

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
Puerto Rico
I don't know. I think the whole iPod line needs a make over. Kinda like what's going on with the MacBooks. What I would do:

iPod classic: Kill it like the pearly white MacBook.

iPod nano: This one would take the role of the big storage iPod. I would flip it back to a 5th Gen design again with the click wheel but with light cosmetic differences. Like an aluminum body so its aesthetics fit the iPod shuffle and the iPad and the Macs. It would come in 64GB and 128GB models (I'm not sure if flash storage can hold more than that.). Or heck even just a single model with 128GB. Slightly bigger screen, slightly better camera, better speakers, built in microphone, you know all the stuff while keeping iOS and apps out of it and keeping it at a decent price below that of an iPod touch. It's a music player not a mobile computer.

iPod shuffle: This one would take the role of the teeny tiny iPod for the gym and stuff like it is now. Storage bump to 4GB.

That's just my opinion though. But I really can't see myself buying an iPod classic when I could just buy a nano or a 64GB touch instead.

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
I think they'll keep the Nano a touchscreen device because it fits in with everything else. It's not running iOS, but it's very much like it (interface and such).

I agree with giving the iPod line a makeover. It had its time, but it's time to move on. In 2007 when they came out with the Classic and the "fat" nano, that line was very uniform. Very Apple-esque. Now it's just all over the place.

My issue with the Shuffle is the fact that there are mp3 players out there (with screens) that have more storage and are cheaper.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Just wondering. Besides, it's fun to make predictions. :cool:

iPod Nano: capacity bumps (new 16GB and 32GB models), increase in battery life

iPod Shuffle: capacity bump from 2GB to 4GB

iPod Classic (despite many declaring it "dead", I'm betting on one more refresh for its 10th anniversary): I expect a storage upgrade (to 240GB), with a possible redesign and increase in battery life

Pretty bland updates if you ask me - it's a good thing I don't work at Apple. :D

I say that it's pretty possible that most of this will happen. Since Apple is now more serious about flash memory and SSD's, I truly think the classic might have one more refresh or it might just die. Although yes, the nano and shuffle need capacity jumps.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
i don't know about killing the ipod classic. i can still see it being useful in some instances, and i don't see apple creating a 160gb+ ipod touch without altering the price.

however i agree with letting the shuffle go. the nano is so small now, and companies have made more accessories for it than the shuffle, like those watch band things. i feel like it's an excess product they could afford to cut out.

so my predictions are to increase storage for ipod classic and ipod nano and cut the shuffle. i can't picture a complete refresh for either one, but apple always has something up their sleeve. :p

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
i don't know. I think the whole ipod line needs a make over. Kinda like what's going on with the macbooks. What i would do:

Ipod classic: Kill it like the pearly white macbook.

Ipod nano: This one would take the role of the big storage ipod. I would flip it back to a 5th gen design again with the click wheel but with light cosmetic differences. Like an aluminum body so its aesthetics fit the ipod shuffle and the ipad and the macs. It would come in 64gb and 128gb models (i'm not sure if flash storage can hold more than that.). Or heck even just a single model with 128gb. Slightly bigger screen, slightly better camera, better speakers, built in microphone, you know all the stuff while keeping ios and apps out of it and keeping it at a decent price below that of an ipod touch. It's a music player not a mobile computer.

Ipod shuffle: This one would take the role of the teeny tiny ipod for the gym and stuff like it is now. Storage bump to 4gb.

That's just my opinion though. But i really can't see myself buying an ipod classic when i could just buy a nano or a 64gb touch instead.

eek that nano would cost like 500 usd!

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Shuffle - 4GB capacity at the same price as the 2GB model now. Some would argue it isn't necessary to have that much capacity for a screen less player, however some of us don't want to downgrade the sound quality to 128kbps just to fit in 400 or so songs. New colors of course.

Classic - Capacity bump to that toshiba 220GB that was released a few months ago.

Nano - Possible to bring back the click wheel, they certainly learned it was a bad idea with the iPod Shuffle to remove the controls. Really don't know what form factor they would put it in, I honestly doubt there will even be a capacity bump, they weren't going to even bump it to 16GB until microsoft released the Zune with 16GB. I'm hoping for 32GB, but I'm not holding my breath.

Really they aren't going to do any dynamic changes to the iPod line anymore its already reached its peak and while I don't think the line is going ANYWHERE (people will always want a music player or want to change), I don't think there is going to be any wild changes as far as features go.

In fact, I don't see any major changes to either the iPhone or the iPod Touch other than processor updates and capacity. Unless they start thinking outside the box again and come up with a whole new concept.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Kill them all.

Just kidding. Pixel QI screen on the Nano would make for a much better iWatch.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Make the current Nano's bezel practically inexistent, make it 32GB and I'll buy one. Battery life is more than decent with the February update but bigger of course wouldn't hurt. I just doubt that they will add a 32 version mostly because it would eat the Touch sales.. or it could be the other way around, people thinking that at the same price they could get a much "better" iPod.
Thing is, Nano will still be with us for some time, I hate running with an iPhone.

TK 421

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2011
Nano sync with iPhone

I was thinking maybe adding Bluetooth to the Nano and then enabled it to sync with the iPhone? That way you get notifications for SMS, phone calls, etc. Maybe even add a speaker/microphone?

Similar to this without the crazy price: http://www.imwatch.it/en/smartwatch/specs/

Of course, if an iWatch is coming, then I doubt this will come to pass.

maconservative

macrumors regular
May 1, 2006
Republic of Texas
A look into the 8 ball reveals...

I predict the following:

iPod Shuffle - Discontinued.

iPod Nano - Price drop. Capacity change to 8/16/32, with $99, $149, $179 price points.

iPod Touch - Similar upgrades to the next iPhone (iOS 5, A5 chip). Capacity change to 32/64/128 at current price points, $229, $299, $399.

iPod Classic - Capacity increase to 240 GB and WiFi to take advantage of iCloud. Current price of $249.

:D

strubinstein

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
Can't believe so many people really think the shuffle is that useless. Its literally the perfect device if you are doing anything active, where damage is a risk and you don't want to be constantly messing with it.

I use mine 99% of the time when I'm skateboarding, its perfect for that. I never skate with a phone in my pocket, and my classic is bulky and would probably get damaged in about 7 minutes. Same deal with snowboarding. Must not be too many athletes on this website...

Des Zac

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Can't believe so many people really think the shuffle is that useless. Its literally the perfect device if you are doing anything active, where damage is a risk and you don't want to be constantly messing with it.

I use mine 99% of the time when I'm skateboarding, its perfect for that. I never skate with a phone in my pocket, and my classic is bulky and would probably get damaged in about 7 minutes. Same deal with snowboarding. Must not be too many athletes on this website...

I know! I plan on getting and Orange iPod Shuffle really soon! I don't trust myself with my iPod Touch when I'm riding my bike!

Alvesang

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2010
Germany
My predictions:

1. Shuffle gets a 4 GB option. Other specs remain the same.
2.1 Nano gets WiFi for iCloud usage. Other specs remain the same.
2.2 NanoWatch is introduced as a communicator for other iOS devices. No WiFi.
3. Touch gets better cameras and whatever processor is in the new iPhone. Capacity stays the same.
4. Classic is (sadly) discontinued. Or it'll still be sold with no changes whatsoever.

Why are there no news concerning a keynote? Maybe it'll be an October event due to personell changes? We shall see...

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA

The new iPod nano is what Apple should want athletes to use. Discontinue the shuffle, people fork up more for a nano, more $$$ for Apple. Is this good for the consumer? Not exactly - either get a nano or look for an mp3 player elsewhere. But options are not part of Apple's agenda.

strubinstein

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2010
The new iPod nano is what Apple should want athletes to use. Discontinue the shuffle, people fork up more for a nano, more $$$ for Apple. Is this good for the consumer? Not exactly - either get a nano or look for an mp3 player elsewhere. But options are not part of Apple's agenda.

I think apple has more sense than that. A huge part of the appeal of the shuffle is that you can just hit play and go, no messing around to figure out what song you wan't to play. This only really works well (generally speaking) if you have a couple hundred songs at most. Nobody will pay all that extra money for all the extra storage that they don't need/want. I'm pretty sure the people at Apple would recognize this and opt not block out a pretty significant portion of the market. They don't want people to look for an MP3 player else wear. And if they do, I'd say thats a bad call.

Also, the screen on the Nano is definitely at risk of breaking. Imagine landing on hard concrete or a hand rail right on top of the thing. It would shatter, I've seen it happen with iPhones and iPod Touches.

Another thing, the ability to operate the shuffle without having to look at it is essential. All you have to do is reach into your pocket or down to your belt buckle, feel for the buttons and your good to go. You can't do that with a touch screen device.

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
I think the Shuffle is done - it has little use anymore and isn't competitive. It just clutters the iPod line.
The shuffle and the Classic are the only iPods that are still easy to use. The others are too complicated if you just want to play music, skip a song, pause, etc.

While the touch is cool and all, it's too complicated to be a simple music device. IMO, the nano is now a joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.