Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

t-mobile_usa_logo.jpg

In the wake of yesterday's report that Sprint will begin offering the iPhone in the United States with the launch of the iPhone 5, apparently scheduled for "mid-October", MacTrast now reports that T-Mobile USA will also be gaining access to the iPhone. The addition of T-Mobile, which AT&T has announced its intent to acquire, alongside Sprint would bring the iPhone to all four of the major U.S. carriers.
Following our report yesterday that Apple's upcoming iPhone 5 will be arriving on the Sprint network, a contact within T-Mobile who claims to have been briefed on the matter has informed us that, in addition to arriving on Sprint at launch, the iPhone 5 will arrive on T-Mobile's network at launch as well.

The informant, who requested to remain anonymous, went on to claim that the iPhone 5 would also operate at 3G speeds on T-Mobile US network. Current unlocked iPhone 4 units can only operate at at 2G "edge" speeds on T-Mobile's network, and lack certain network-dependent features, such as Visual Voicemail.
T-Mobile USA claimed earlier this year to already have one million iPhones running on its network, despite the devices being limited to EDGE speeds and missing other features.

Apple and AT&T have reportedly been testing iPhone prototypes compatible with the carrier's 3G network, making a deal to bring the device to T-Mobile a realistic possibility. Research analysts and other sources have periodically claimed that T-Mobile USA will be gaining the iPhone, but rumors have been quiet in recent weeks even as other iPhone-related rumors have ramped up as the iPhone 5 launch reportedly nears.

Article Link: New Claims of iPhone 5 Coming to T-Mobile USA

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Im thinking Apple will be selling this phone unlocked for ALL carriers in the US. Including Virgin Mobile.. which will send the cell world into a tailspin.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
YES! Just what I was waiting to see on the front page. However, I've lost interest in T-Mobile after what happened yesterday -- 4 hours of no service due to an earthquake in Virginia was just unacceptable.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
One phone that works across all carriers would be incredible. I won't sign another contract. Pay for the phone outright and if the service sucks.... bite me carrier A I'm moving carrier B. See how fast rates come down then.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
YES! Just what I was waiting to see on the front page. However, I've lost interest in T-Mobile after what happened yesterday -- 4 hours of no service due to an earthquake in Virginia was just unacceptable.

How is this unacceptable? T-Mobile didn't cause the Earthquake.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Im thinking Apple will be selling this phone unlocked for ALL carriers in the US. Including Virgin Mobile.. which will send the cell world into a tailspin.
Virgin Mobile is not a separate mobile operator. It's now just a prepaid brand of Sprint Nextel.

U.S. iPhone carriers have not marketed the iPhone for prepaid customers. It's probable that CDMA-based Sprint would not register an iPhone as Virgin Mobile service.

There's more flexibility with SIM-based networks. If the handset is unlocked, it's usually possible to get the device on a GSM-based network with a valid prepaid SIM.

AT&T GoPhone prepaid SIMs will work in iPhones. T-Mobile USA Pay As You Go SIMs will work in the handsets with the caveat that 3G data is inaccessible since the frequencies are not supported by the iPhone to date. There are some other rebranded SIMs that will work in the iPhones.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
I can't wait to see how T-Mobile will try to spin the Carly Foulkes ads if this turns out to be true.

Well, the ads never really take a swipe at the iPhone, but instead lament how the AT&T network is holding it back.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast

It wasn't just T-mobile. VerizonWireless was down for a few hours and some of the AT&T folks around here (Conshy, PA) couldn't make calls either.

I don't know anyone on Sprint, but I suspect they went down too.

Apparently everyone on the East Coast was calling each other to see if they felt that too. I too was guilty of this.

Funny enough, the land lines worked perfectly.

ch02ce

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
That means AWS support thanks to the MDM6600 - which thankfully means Wind Mobile support in Canada to break the Rogers/Bell/Telus cartel!

Voidness

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
Null
Oh please let this be true. I'm with Wind Mobile in Canada, and their network operates at the 1700MHz frequency, similar to T-Mobile. The difference is that they don't have a 2G network, so iPhones don't work at all.

This will be perfect for the Holiday Miracle Plan. :)

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
I'm wondering why it took so long. Should have been from the first iPhone. America with all your carrier-problems.

In Europe you don't come across these problems. You buy any phone, and you can switch to any carrier you wish by changing the SIM.
Riiiight America isn't so fond of SIM-cards, I'd forgotten!

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
This is certainly a great way to combat Android growth.

A lot of Android sales were due to users being locked into their provider and unable to get an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.