Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Hi Guys,

We have BT Infinity with the new Home Hub 3 and the WiFi does not reach some parts of the house. Can i use the AirPort Express as an extender or WiFi booster?

If not what would work?

Thanks

Matt

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I wouldn't think so, it generally doesn't extend other systems.

Have a look at this relevant post, which applies to the Express as well as the Extreme. If the built-in wireless simply isn't good enough, consider other products for the wireless part.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Someone must know?

If they did know they probably would have posted.

MacRumors FAQ/Rules said:
8. Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
If they did know they probably would have posted.

Well this is a Forum for help and 90% of my posts never get answered and it gets old very fast.

Instead you get self righteous idiots like you posting things like that or "use the search bar" get off your high horse and don't post unless you have something constructive to say.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
You can use the Airport Express as an extender, but not wirelessly - that only works with an Apple Airport Extreme base station. You'll need to run a long ethernet cable from your BT Home Hub and attach the Airport Express on the end - I've done this with other routers and it works fine.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Well this is a Forum for help and 90% of my posts never get answered and it gets old very fast.

Instead you get self righteous idiots like you posting things like that or "use the search bar" get off your high horse and don't post unless you have something constructive to say.

Originally Posted by MacRumors FAQ/Rules
1. Insults. Direct personal insult of another forum member (e.g., "You are an idiot.") and other name-calling. Why? Because this isn't grade school. People should be able to discuss or even dispute other's posts without insulting people.

People do do their best to help on this forum.

As an aside, I understand it is still possible to use Airport Extreme instead of BT's Home Hub 3.

Last edited:

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
You can use the Airport Express as an extender, but not wirelessly - that only works with an Apple Airport Extreme base station. You'll need to run a long ethernet cable from your BT Home Hub and attach the Airport Express on the end - I've done this with other routers and it works fine.

Doesn't that just create an additional wireless network?

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
The best bet is to have an Extreme rather than an Express as the newer ones have a greater range (connected by Ethernet to the BT system) and if it is still a problem you can then extend with an Express.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
If your questions are not getting answered then you might try asking a better question to get a better answer or even an answer at all. Posts like this also don't really make people want to help you.

All I did was point you to the rules you agreed to when you signed up, nothing more. Then instead of accepting the fact that you were wrong you go and act very immature and break another rule in the process. Your post below was actually a bump that provided nothing constructive so you might want to take your own advice and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Someone must know?

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Without an Airport Extreme (i.e. with any other router) it just extends your existing network and only wired - IMHO, YMMV

It is the use of the word "extending" I object to. You are just adding a wireless bridge to the existing wired network. If the wired network already has a wireless bridge, you are creating an additional wireless network, not extending the existing one. Calling that "extending" is likely to confuse people.

CortexRock

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2006
Canterbury, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

But am I right in the essence of what I'm saying? If so, that's great, if not please provide a clearer answer than mine instead of picking holes in my reply, so we can help the OP rather than sit here pointing out unimportant errors.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
But am I right in the essence of what I'm saying? If so, that's great, if not please provide a clearer answer than mine instead of picking holes in my reply, so we can help the OP rather than sit here pointing out unimportant errors.

You probably know how it actually works, but IMHO your posts make it sound like you can extend any existing wireless network using the Express as long as you connect it by wire.

If you have an existing wireless network (non Apple-based), you can't extend it using AirPort Express/Extreme to get better coverage. If you add one of those to get better coverage, it will have to be as a new, separate network.

The OP should do just fine by reading my first post in this thread, and following the link.

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
You probably know how it actually works, but IMHO your posts make it sound like you can extend any existing wireless network using the Express as long as you connect it by wire.

If you have an existing wireless network (non Apple-based), you can't extend it using AirPort Express/Extreme to get better coverage. If you add one of those to get better coverage, it will have to be as a new, separate network.

The OP should do just fine by reading my first post in this thread, and following the link.

Thanks for your help, i have a Netgear Ethernet Switch which runs to the router could i run it from the Switch instead of running another cable through the house?

Regards

Matt

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Here's a layout of the house.

Attachments

• Layout.png
    Layout.png
    49.3 KB · Views: 306
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.