Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Right on the heels of our "iPhone 4S" antenna photos, comes even more pieces to the puzzle. This image from MacPost.net offers the first look at the back cover of an upcoming iPhone. This prototype part is labeled "EVT" (Engineering Verification Test) and dated June 7, 2011.

What's most revealing about this part is that it is actually labeled with the internal model number "N94". N94 is the model number for what we believe to be a next-generation iPhone. N94 first appeared in SDK code back in iOS 4.3. At the time, the N94 was identified as supporting an A5 processor -- that's the same processor found in the iPad 2.

Meanwhile, the AT&T iPhone 4 carries the model designation N90 while the Verizon iPhone 4 is called the N92. Both current iPhone 4 models use the slower A4 processor.

We also heard about the N94 in April when BGR claimed that it had a photo of a prototype N94 that supported T-Mobile's 3G service. They showed photos of the device at the time. What's interesting to note now is that as best as we can tell, that prototype iPhone had a visible antenna break at the bottom left, and no antenna break in the top left -- just like the iPhone 4, but also just like the leaked antenna parts we posted yesterday. (Unfortunately, the other side of the device is not visible in any of the shots.)

So, here's what we think we know about the N94, based on the circulating rumors

- It looks like an iPhone 4
- Has a redesigned antenna
- Supports T-Mobile
- A5 Processor

So is the N94 the actual iPhone 5? Possibly. MacPost also published photos of associated parts which include items we've seen before. These have been labeled as "iPhone 5" parts in the past, but now seem to be associated with this particular case design. That means all the part leaks we've seen so far are for this iPhone 4-like design. If so, Reuters may have been right in saying that the iPhone 5 will look "largely similar to the iPhone 4".

What of the tapered iPhone 5 designs that we've seen circulating? Those were sourced from a ThisIsMyNext article and subsequent case design leak and actual cases for sale. As we've said before, Chinese case manufacturers have a big financial incentive to get case designs ahead of Apple's launch, but they've been wrong before. As far as we can tell, we've not seen any actual part leaks from that rumored thinner/tapered design.

Article Link: iPhone N94 Prototype Back Cover - Is this actually the iPhone 5?

Last edited by a moderator:

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Hopefully this iPhone 4s/5 will be the cheaper version that Apple will offer cuz I really want a new redesign of the next iPhone. Already sold my iPhone 4 so my body is ready! ;):apple:

evilblob

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
Even if this isn't it, it must be coming soon. There are that many leaked parts coming out now that one must be right eventually. Bring it on.

vebs

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Leicester, UK
If iOS5 runs fine on my iPhone 4, then I'm really not that interested in upgrading to the iPhone 5 if the design remains basically the same.

I'd be more than happy to jump on board if the redesign rumours turn out to be true though.

daveydog

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2009
don't your facts just point to the idea that this is just the rumored tmobile variant of the cheaper iphone 4s?

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
This doesn't look completely flat like the iPhone4's, does it? Or ist it just the plastic wrapping? I would have liked a slightly convex design.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
As we've said before, Chinese case manufacturers have a big financial incentive to get case designs ahead of Apple's launch, but they've been wrong before.

The iPod covers that were "wrong" were for an actual product though, they just weren't released. As you've mentioned before, the 3rd generation iPods do have the area reserved for the camera, it's just not populated.

It's PLASTIC boys and girls.

It's not, that's a plastic film to protect the glass.

ED: I was wrong, I see moulded plastic. Nasty.

ED2: Those are there in the iPhone. As you were.

Screen_Shot_2011-08-26_at_9.58.23_PM.png

The data matrix in the photo decodes to the same text that's printed on the label, not that it means anything useful to anyone.

Code:
FA731105307KJ816-0422017355445.20979CGTW

Last edited:

One Bad Duck

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
These Parts controlled leaks?

The parts that get leaked never seem to be very useful. For instance even though we are seeing the housing of the back of the phone we don't get to see the front piece that would crucially reveal the bigger screen size..

I think these are just tit bits controlled leaked by apple to keep the rumour mills happy immediately prior to release

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Maybe the tapered design is really early leaks of the iPhone 6 which is obviously not coming for a while.

The iPhone 5 may be a slight update after all.

porky2017

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
Australia
I am hoping for the slimmer iPhone 5-but what i am seeing I think- IMO-it will be the 4S- if we follow history 3g-3gs-4g-4gs.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

Or it's just the 4S or whatever the alleged entry level 4 that is expected alongside 5 launch.

Didn't MR reference that antena leak as 4S? It would make sense for this to be the back for this phone.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I'm not sure what Apple's about.

They can't possibly afford to re-release the same model but slightly different. The competition has come too far for Apple to just sit back and play it safe. This is either the 4S or an early iPhone 5 prototype but I refuse to believe the next iPhone will simply be a small update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.