Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today pushed out several new developer seeds for its OS X platform, continuing to move forward with testing of iCloud. The updates come one week after the previous seeds, which also came alongside the sixth beta version of iOS 5. Among today's new releases for OS X:

- OS X Lion 10.7.2 Update (Build 11C43)
- iCloud for Lion beta 9
- iPhoto 9.2 beta 3

There are no new updates posted on the iOS side at this time.

Apple has announced that it will be launching iOS 5 and iCloud this fall. The company has been rumored to be launching new iPhone hardware in early-to-mid October, and iOS 5 and iCloud should be going live right around that same time. Apple will almost certainly be holding a media event a week or two ahead of that launch to introduce the new hardware and give final details on iOS 5 and iCloud.

Thanks, Chanyoon!

Article Link: Apple Seeds OS X Lion 10.7.2 Build 11C43 and Other iCloud Updates to Developers

mysticalos

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
I dunno they been testing it lion exclusive but i can't see them not giving some form of update to at least snow leopard, or IOS 4. going to be kind of unforgiving when they close the doors to mobileme mail, syncing, bookmarks etc for so many devices that cant run lion or ios5. remember mobile me is going away completely. So i can see some small update to migrate the mobile me code in the older OS's to at least support some of the functionality (probably not all of it, just whatever mobileme users lose that they need to get from cloud, bookmarks, mail, contacts.

it would be very poor business to go "oh btw now you HAVE to upgrade your hardware to use features you always have. Alhough I woudln't be surprised either way. I however have an iphone 3G and a first gen macbookpro intel core duo that's not 64 bit and cannot run lion or ios 5. then i have a newer mac pro that's on lion. The idea that icloud would be completely useless to me cause other devices are stuck on discontinued mobileme service would really make me lose faith. As it'd be a minimal software update. not a complete super update. to maintain the transition of mobileme.

jowie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2004
London ish
What happens to MobileMe customers who don't have a machine that can run Lion? Will I still be able to use Mail and Back To My Mac?

daveslc

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2006
Address Book interface fixed?

Is the horrid Address Book interface fixed? Do they provide an option to use the old 3 column system?

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
What happens to MobileMe customers who don't have a machine that can run Lion? Will I still be able to use Mail and Back To My Mac?

My exact problem. I am set with iCloud, but my son still uses my old iPhone3 and has an old powerpc mini that is running leopard. I would believe it can't be too hard for them to have some sort of backwards compatibility for at least the mail, contacts and calendar functionality.

rtolboom

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
Well, on older hardware you can always visit iCloud.com and access all your stuff over there.

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011

You'll still be able to use MobileMe until June2012. After that, I guess it would mean a new Mac capable of running Lion to begin using the iCloud features.

2cool4games

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
Word

I want word 2008 and under to work find then I will upgrade to Lion. Also adobe photoshop CS3 and under

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
sorry, but Apple says no

I want word 2008 and under to work find then I will upgrade to Lion. Also adobe photoshop CS3 and under

Apple has removed the compatibility subsystem for older applications from Lion.

They want you to buy new systems and new software.

They have an unexpected new expense - a CEO with a salary!

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
My exact problem. I am set with iCloud, but my son still uses my old iPhone3 and has an old powerpc mini that is running leopard. I would believe it can't be too hard for them to have some sort of backwards compatibility for at least the mail, contacts and calendar functionality.

I've not tried it but under advanced settings on iCloud.com you are given a list of server details which it says is for devices which can't automatically set iCloud up.

It gives IMAP, SMTP, CalDav and Conatcts server details, so you should be able to use them on Leopard/Snow Leopard.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It's coming very soon. The duration between betas is so short. And fall with the iTunes even is right around the corner!

KaneBaker

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
Still testing Airport I see. The last 10.7.1 update didn't fix my Lion induced Wi-Fi woes. Hoping this will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.