Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:19 PM   #26
PJMAN2952
macrumors regular

Okay here is a lesson for all of us. If you keep on waiting for something good to come out in tech related, you will never get it. So just get the iPad 2 and be happy about it. If you are waiting for like iPad 4 or something, that's ridiculous.
PJMAN2952 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:26 PM   #27
Biscuit411
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Dang, PJMAN beat me to it...

'I'm just gonna wait for the iPad 4. No need to waste my time with these inferior products out right now!'
Biscuit411 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:28 PM   #28
Piggie
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
Most apps haven't even tapped the iPad 2's full potential yet, so I don't really see an annoying problem there. Other innovations surrounding the iPad could be at least as interesting in the meantime.
That'd part of the problem for people like myself "Upgraders"
There does not seem much reason to upgrade.

I'm hoping to see a much more powerful iPad3 and software that runs horrid, or not at all on an iPad1 to give me a real reason to want to upgrade.

Having the game the same as before but a little more detail in the textures does not give me the reason I'm looking for.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:28 PM   #29
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

My eyes glazed over the moment they hit the word "analyst".
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:41 PM   #30
McG2k1
macrumors newbie

i hope that apple increases the quality of the face facing cameras across the board. its really not a very good component on my ipad2 or my new Air. Pretty disappointing actually.
McG2k1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:42 PM   #31
Slix
macrumors 6502

The A5 isn't even in anything but the iPad yet. Why are there rumors of the A6?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:48 PM   #32
HiRez
macrumors 601

I think Apple would like to move the iPad annual release date to the fall timeframe, in front of the holidays and possibly before back-to-school time. But because they can't wait a year and a half between releases, it makes sense that they would release an intermediate iPad model in say January-February (maybe A5 with retina display), then release the A6+retina (+maybe LTE or whatever) around August, and then settle into that as the new annual iPad date.

Last edited by HiRez; Aug 26, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
HiRez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:59 PM   #33
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slix View Post
because everyone is on a yearly release cycle
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:05 PM   #34
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

no worries, ill stay happy with the ipad2 until then
It's a pretty powerful device!
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:10 PM   #35
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
But given that April is indeed the beginning of the second quarter, the company could sneak in with its next yearly iPad update if "publicly unveiled" were to refer to a launch inside the next iPad.
Isn't this how both the A4 and A5 were publically unveiled? So, why not?
Lennholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:30 PM   #36
KillerTree
macrumors regular

I can't wait for when I plug in my iPhone 7 into my TV, download Call of Duty on the app store and play it online with my wireless controller.
KillerTree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 04:38 PM   #37
plokoonpma
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to plokoonpma
Don't get it.. why assume that A6 won't be ready earlier cause TSMC can't deliver sooner. Correct me if I am wrong but A5 chips has at least 2 manufacturers right? Samsung and other people I can't remember. TSMC add is to depend less or get rid of Samsung entirely..
plokoonpma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:20 PM   #38
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post
Don't get it.. why assume that A6 won't be ready earlier cause TSMC can't deliver sooner. Correct me if I am wrong but A5 chips has at least 2 manufacturers right? Samsung and other people I can't remember. TSMC add is to depend less or get rid of Samsung entirely..
No, A5 is single source. It is counterproductive to go to multiple fab houses for one design.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 05:46 PM   #39
Baller10
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
No, A5 is single source. It is counterproductive to go to multiple fab houses for one design.
Not to mention that TSMC is basically the only fabrication company even remotely prepared to produce 28nm silicon.
Baller10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:36 PM   #40
vitzr
macrumors 68030

A little patience goes a long way. There will be plenty of action surrounding the debugging of Lion to keep the forum buzzing. And I'm not being critical of it in the least.

Anyone who knows even a little about software engineering, will fully appreciate just how good it is now. They'll also understand why some bugs only appear after the software is released to the general public.
vitzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:39 PM   #41
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
How does 2nd quarter mean June?

2nd quarter is April 1 - June 30.
Is June included in the time from April 1- June 30?

I hope they give the iPad enough RAM to take advantage of the faster processor. Too much would be just enough.
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:01 PM   #42
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeagle View Post
How does 2nd quarter mean June?

2nd quarter is April 1 - June 30.
2nd Quarter reveal/announcement, but probably 3rd Quarter for sales. July sales? Well, it's a rumor, so wait and see. If the A6 is such a leap and such a strong computing chip, it's worth the wait to get it right, especially when combined with a higher-res screen.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:10 PM   #43
Nesto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baller10 View Post
Not to mention that TSMC is basically the only fabrication company even remotely prepared to produce 28nm silicon.
Samsung, UMC and Globalfoundries will all be shipping production 28nm next year.
Nesto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:20 PM   #44
Nesto
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The report also notes that Apple's A6 chip is expected to sport a quad-core processor and will use "3D" transistor technology analogous to the Tri-Gate technology being used by Intel for its chips.
Too many analysts are making this error, Intel's tri-gate is a 3D TRANSISTOR technology. TSMC is NOT implementing anything like a tri-gate transistor at 28nm. They WILL be using 3D ROUTING technology (TSV - through silicon vias) - a VERY different technology than trigate transistors. One which is not particularly leading edge BTW.
Nesto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 09:31 PM   #45
hcho3
macrumors 68030

Apple is moving away from a year cycle because their devices sells anyway.

iPad 2 is still selling well and so is iPhone 4.

Apple is not in rush at all.

I would rather apple to take their time and secure enough of screens for iPad 3. A6 chip should and must be in iPad 3. I don't want half baked bread. I do not want half finished product. Look at what happens with other tablets.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:02 PM   #46
superericla
macrumors 6502

Personally, if I had the choice between quad-core CPU and 4 graphics cores I would go with the graphics. The iPad's CPU is plenty fast enough for most if not all things developers throw at it. Graphics capabilities greatly improving would make the iPad even more gamer-friendly than it is now. With more graphics cores and iOS being coded to support these cores, developers will be able to do much more graphically and the extra graphics cores would allow smoother framerates if Apple does use a retina display.
superericla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:46 PM   #47
sean.crees
macrumors member

The iPad2 doesn't feel underpowered. My only concern would be if they do double resolution to 2048x1536, will the A5 chip slow to a crawl pushing to that many pixels?

Apple hasn't had issues with doing a no fanfare under the hood only performance bump on products int he past without changing the name of the product. For all we know we could get an iPad3 in early 2012, and then when the A6 chips become available see an updated iPad3 with the only change being the faster processor.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slix View Post
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4605/s...-4g-lte-review

iPad 2: Apple A5 (Dual ARM Cortex A9 @ 1GHz)
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer: NVIDIA Tegra 2 (Dual ARM Cortex A9 @ 1GHz)
Motorola Xoom WiFi: NVIDIA Tegra 2 (Dual ARM Cortex A9 @ 1GHz)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1: NVIDIA Tegra 2 (Dual ARM Cortex A9 @ 1GHz)
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G: NVIDIA Tegra 2 (Dual ARM Cortex A9 @ 1GHz)

Are you seeing a commonality yet? They are all Dual ARM Cortex A9's @ 1GHz.

The only differences are the built in GPU's. But the CPU's are all identical.
sean.crees is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:18 PM   #48
vitzr
macrumors 68030

From an internal standpoint, the A5 is already old news within the company. I'm sure Apples engineers are deep into the A6 project which will have quite a positive opportunity for the iOS team to build their software accordingly. There's so much more current & future potential in the A6 architecture, that will be the real news item for quite some time.

Also, some reports have the first stages of the planned iOS & OS X convergence being executed concurrently. It's this project that will finally reveal what the true vision Apple has in mind for their customers future.

Given the fact that only so much is required from a mobile OS for phones & pads, it's hard to imagine anything impressive when this single OS, and mobile chips are used in what used to be known as a laptop or desktop. Taking into consideration the latest rumor of all new devices from Apple sooner rather than later, if true, there will be big changes from the gadget company.
vitzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2011, 11:29 PM   #49
MacNewsFix
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
Not surprising. 32nm and 28nm nodes have been a mess for TSMC.
That's what I've been reading for a while now, too. What's sad is that we won't be getting the annual March iPad.

On a positive note, by late Q2 2012, they'll hopefully be getting decent yields of the improved displays. I'd rather Apple take a few extra months and get it right than spend several months hearing about "Retinagate" or "A6gate" which turn out to be nothing. Who knows, maybe by that time 4G can be put in.
MacNewsFix is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 01:01 AM   #50
MyopicPaideia
macrumors 6502a

No comment

Last edited by MyopicPaideia; Aug 27, 2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Did not read article before posting
MyopicPaideia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion