Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:22 PM   #1
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Free Mac PDF editor?

Help! I've been looking all night for a good free PDF editor because for some stupid reason our notes as school were emailed to us in PDF format, which seems pretty uneditable to me. I just want to add some notes too it, nothing fancy, and I definitely won't be paying adobe for something that I'm barely gonna ever use.

Does anybody know of a good PDF editor? Thanks in advance!

Oh btw even a PDF to word converter would do fine, as long as I can somehow edit them!
EvryDayImShufln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:30 AM   #2
apfhex
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1400 View Post
our notes as school were emailed to us in PDF format, which seems pretty uneditable to me. I just want to add some notes too it
Right, PDFs aren't meant for editing, though it is a great distribution format.

Preview.app can add notes to PDFs!
Old Sep 27, 2007, 02:34 AM   #3
dukebound85
macrumors P6

http://skim-app.sourceforge.net/

is a good one. i like it more than preview just cant do photos
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 03:01 AM   #4
telecomm
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post

Just out of curiosity (I've got Acrobat Pro), does Skim allow you to change the font/type size of annotations? That's really the only think stopping Preview from being a good solution in situations like this.

Another, more involved option is to use something like Pages combined with PDFLab. PDFLab can automatically export the pages of a PDF file as separate PDF documents, then you can drag each page into a Pages document (treating it like an image, and stretching it to fill each page), and then just add standard text boxes for your annotations in Pages.
telecomm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:08 AM   #5
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

so you're telling me that PDFs are really not meant to be edited and only acrobat pro can do it? I tried skim but its just a fancy version of preview and It doesn't really help to really edit the PDFs in essence
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Queso
macrumors 603

Quote:
Oh btw even a PDF to word converter would do fine, as long as I can somehow edit them!
Can you not just select the text and copy it to another document type using the clipboard?
Queso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:32 AM   #7
kiwi-in-uk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicv View Post
Can you not just select the text and copy it to another document type using the clipboard?
Yeah - that's what I do.
This method works most of the time - the only exceptions are PDFs that are locked for copying (I don't come across these often enough for it to be an inconvenience).
kiwi-in-uk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 08:33 AM   #8
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicv View Post
I can, however there are bullets and numbering that become completely flat when this is done (aka are all aligned vertically instead of having different "levels" if you know what I mean). So this is not really an option either.
Old Aug 26, 2011, 10:48 PM   #9
njsa04playa
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to njsa04playa
google is your friend!
Dj Gear
njsa04playa is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:20 AM   #10
blipmusic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Help! I've been looking all night for a good free PDF editor because for some stupid reason our notes as school were emailed to us in PDF format, which seems pretty uneditable to me. [...]
Couldn't you try contacting your teachers/lecturers and see if they can provide you all with a format that's meant to be edited? Or perhaps tell them to at least leave room for notes?

Say that the lecturer use slides. In that case those should IMO be handed out/e-mailed as a pamphlet with mini slides with room left for notes next to each slide.

PDF is a publishing format not a working/production format, that's the simple reason for the lack of editing tools. It's not really meant to be easy to crack open for the average user as content within might be copyrighted (not only the text itself but fonts as well).

Perhaps your best bet is to copy the text (and fix any typographical errors) from within a PDF viewer - I take it it's "real" text and not images of text - into a word processor/text editor and go from there?

[EDIT: Otherwise I recommend Skim as well, but as you say that's mostly a viewer - a good one! - with the capability to add notes.]
blipmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:43 AM   #11
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipmusic View Post
Couldn't you try contacting your teachers/lecturers and see if they can provide you all with a format that's meant to be edited? Or perhaps tell them to at least leave room for notes?
I'm gonna make a wild guess that perhaps the OP has resolved their situation by now, since they posted the question 4 years ago. It's a good chance they've already graduated.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:51 AM   #12
cdcastillo
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to cdcastillo Send a message via Yahoo to cdcastillo Send a message via Skype™ to cdcastillo
Oops. I posted before realizing that it was a really old post. Sorry. Moderators: Delete if you wish, thanks.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:52 AM   #13
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcastillo View Post
Apple's Preview?
For viewing PDFs, it's great. For editing, not so much.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 04:54 AM   #14
cdcastillo
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to cdcastillo Send a message via Yahoo to cdcastillo Send a message via Skype™ to cdcastillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
For viewing PDFs, it's great. For editing, not so much.
For Adding your notes (not that the OP cares, since, as you've already said, he might have already graduated) to a PDF, highlighting, encircling and things like those, Preview is also great.

Unless you are still on Tiger, then it is true, you can only read.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 05:06 AM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcastillo View Post
For Adding your notes (not that the OP cares, since, as you've already said, he might have already graduated) to a PDF, highlighting, encircling and things like those, Preview is also great.

Unless you are still on Tiger, then it is true, you can only read.
Yes, you can annotate PDFs with Preview, but you can't edit them. In many cases, you can't even fill in PDF forms with Preview like you can with Adobe Reader. For the purposes of this old thread, where the OP meant annotate rather than edit, Preview wasn't an option at all, as the OP was on Tiger or earlier at the time of posting.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 03:00 PM   #16
blipmusic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I'm gonna make a wild guess that perhaps the OP has resolved their situation by now, since they posted the question 4 years ago. It's a good chance they've already graduated.
Gah, I didn't even care to look considering the poster above already helped me find the downward spiral. Sorry. :/

Why are we even allowed to resurrect 4 year old threads...? Couldn't they auto-lock after a given time?

[Ninja edit: I realize the irony of making the issue worse by making another post...]
blipmusic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:19 PM   #17
bighneshar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post

, Yes, Skim is the best pdf editor I have found and its free
bighneshar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 08:57 PM   #18
CoolHandDude
macrumors newbie

PDF Editor

So....how many posts are there that give advice about one PDF editor or another.....but it seems like a lot of these issues could be solved if Apple included a more robust PDF editor as part of its OS or application package. I just think the resistance against including this capability in our Macs is unnecessary. My one little vote to Apple is ..... give us a more robust PDF reader/editor native with our Macs.
CoolHandDude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 04:02 AM   #19
kkkskpe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandDude View Post
So....how many posts are there that give advice about one PDF editor or another.....but it seems like a lot of these issues could be solved if Apple included a more robust PDF editor as part of its OS or application package. I just think the resistance against including this capability in our Macs is unnecessary. My one little vote to Apple is ..... give us a more robust PDF reader/editor native with our Macs.
You got the point. It is one of the must-have tools in a world full of digital publications.
kkkskpe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2012, 01:03 PM   #20
misterxdonut
macrumors newbie

Have you tried Skim/Scribus? Both are alternatives to acrobat.
misterxdonut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:36 PM   #21
tracheler
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterxdonut View Post
But Skim most important features are not well pointed out.
if you make annotations and want to save them, you have to "Export..." the file. If you merely save you can only read the annotated file with Skim and not with other PDF readers.
You can select graphically parts of pdf and create a new pdf; you can crop single pages or the whole document.
You can select parts of text (unless pdf has been created by scanning) and paste them elsewere (you'll loose formatting).
The problem is that documentation is not very clear and these features are almost hidden.
tracheler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:58 PM   #22
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterxdonut View Post
I tried Scribus and it couldn't open any of the PDF files I gave it.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:44 PM   #23
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

Wondershare PDF Editor Pro is looking good. It has the ability to not only edit the PDFs (change text directly, not markup) but also OCR scanned in pages. This is all good and I like it. If it allowed for form editing and creation, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 03:03 AM   #24
caitlynb
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonGlitch View Post
Wondershare PDF Editor Pro is looking good. It has the ability to not only edit the PDFs (change text directly, not markup) but also OCR scanned in pages. This is all good and I like it. If it allowed for form editing and creation, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Form? not PDF? maybe you can try to convert pdf to excel for editing
caitlynb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:27 PM   #25
keepingeyesopen
macrumors newbie

PaperPort, a document manager, can edit PDF files. It is available only for Windows, however, so you would need to run Windows in your Mac. PaperPort is not free, but it is much less expensive than Acrobat Pro.

I agree with one of the above posts that adding the capability to edit PDFs natively in the Mac would be a tremendous help. That, combined with the Finder and the Mac's native indexed search, would provide the document manager needs for most of us. A dedicated document manager would no longer be needed.
keepingeyesopen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store