Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I'd love to be wowed, but I just can't see where they'd go with this. As others have said, I don't want to replace my giant TV frequently to keep up with computing tech--and even if Apple puts what amounts to an iMac in the back of a big TV, there will always be something better next year.

What would really sell it would be a compelling alternative to the horror of existing TV distribution through cable/satellite and DVRs--but Apple could do that already through the Apple TV box. Again, as others have said, the problem there is completely unrelated to technology: It's destroying and rebuilding the video distribution business model.

I don't really need Angry Birds, Twitter or Facebook on my TV. I'm not sure how I'd control those apps with a seven-button remote anyway. From a couch potato's perspective, I'd want to sit down, open up my entertainment queue, and immediately start watching relevant shows. Apple doesn't need to build a TV to achieve this, they can do it right now with the existing Apple TV hardware.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Obviously you don't get it. There is no need for Apple to commandeer the dumb display, just to pack inside of it this years latest technology. They can easily do that with a small box over hdmi....oh wait, they already do!!

What could possibly be offered besides built in FaceTime cam (worthless), that cant be offered through an hdmi box? Absolutely nothing, which is why this rumor is a joke.

----------

What you get is overpriced nonsense that can't be upgraded year to year.

Why can't it be upgraded ?
Do you upgrade your TV every year ?
Software upgrades are easy.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Honestly, I think for them to be successful in the TV industry they will have to announce some service or something that is more groundbreaking than what is out there, because why would people switch to a tv that is at a premium over a another competing tv?

I guess we'll see

Tmengay

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
More than a TV

Factor in that iOS will now have iCloud and iMessage along with FaceTime, this new device will do to TV's what iPhone (and to some degree iPad) did to the phone. A home entertainment/gaming/communication device that fills another new market. *The controller would probably be some combination of the wireless mac keyboard with a magic track pad along side it. It would most likely have a mic built into it so people could talk over iChat as they sit on the sofa. And if Apple get's their act together on voice recognition, the mic could also control the set as well as send messaging.*

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
If it happens at all, it won't be an AppleTV mounted in a TV. Apple will not get into a commoditized market like the TV market. Apple is about simplifying things in everyday life, and convergence of life experiences and technology. Think more along the lines of a wall-mountable 32" (or more) iMac with integrated set-top box/amplifier/AppleTV/iChat camera/Hulu/YouTube/App Store. So you replace your STB, AppleTV, stereo, gaming console, DVD player, telephone and computer with one device. Now that's how Apple would do it.

Only thing that could hold it back would be the lack of Blu-ray support... :rolleyes:

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W

There's no money in software upgrade. new OSX=$29.99.

Would $50.00 be a fair price for iOS upgrade for a apple TV, no.

You buy a iOS device with the expectation that you bwill be able to upgrade your iOS to the latest version for 2-3 years for a nominal price. In don't think you could expect more that that for free for a TV either.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
It has to be said again, this TV BETTER NOT BE rectangular. Rectangular TVs already exists. If Apple puts their name on a such a device, or any device that looks similar to existing TVs they will be BLATANTLY COPYING. This TV cannot look similar to anything on the market. By Apple's logic, this is considered blatantly copying. So if they do it, Apple will show themselves to be the hypocrites that they are. The blind followers who think it is ok for Apple to do such a thing will also show themselves to be the biased blind followers that they say they are not. Remember it was Apple who first decided that no one else can make a rectangular shaped phone or a tablet. Only because Apple felt they did it first, which they didn't of course. So you live by the sword, you die by the sword. Can't wait to see the world's first circular, triangular, or any non-rectangular TV. Your move Apple.

Last edited:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Yes, but the rumors are saying an Apple branded TV would Include the ATV hardware inside, meaning computer components like the A5/A6, RAM, and storage.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Apple works on lots of things that never get completed and shipped. If this isn’t one of those experimental projects, then they’ll need to convince a certain number of people—enough to be worth production—that there’s a good reason not to just pick the exact size and style of TV to fit your home, and attach an Apple TV to that.

And maybe there IS a reason... But I don’t see it yet.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
It has to be said again, this TV BETTER NOT BE rectangular. Rectangular TVs already exists. If Apple puts their name on a such a device, or any device that looks similar to existing TVs they will be BLATANTLY COPYING. This TV cannot look similar to anything on the market. By Apple's logic, this is considered blatantly copying. So if they do it, Apple will show themselves to be the hypocrites that they are. The blind followers who think it is ok for Apple to do such a thing will also show themselves to be the biased blind followers that they say they are not. Remember it was Apple who first decided that no one else can make a rectangular shaped phone or a tablet. Only because Apple felt they did it first, which they didn't of course. So you live by the sword, you die by the sword. Can't wait to see the world's first circular, triangular, or any non-rectangular TV. Your move Apple.

Yawn.

Roy G Biv

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2010
Have people ever bought Apple for competitive pricing or for having the most features? They're not Compaq.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Most current smart TV's already use the ARM SOC,RAM and storage.

Right, but having that stuff inside of a large screen TV sort of makes it not ideal for upgrading. If Apple released a TV with an A5 chip for example, it would probably remain 4-5 generations behind all other iOS devices before most consumers would even consider swapping out their TVs.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
ABC is owned by Disney, which Steve has a huge stake in- so that makes sense... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

In the United States, 720p is the preferred format for the broadcast and cable networks of Fox/FX/Fox Sports Net, ABC/Disney Channel/ESPN, A&E Television Networks, Ion Television, MLB Network, and DirecTV's Audience Network. It is also the default format online for many web television producers such as CNET, Hulu and Revision3 due to bandwidth concerns.

Add CBS to that also.

;)

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006

..except that what all TVs already look like. But phones didn't look like the iphone until Apple showed it. So your analogy is completely nonsensical

BoRegardless

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2004
Path to Products That Are Released

TVs might be "prototyped" and "worked on" and have "people hired for design", but developing something and then releasing it are two different things.

"Jobs, of course, had also denied that Apple had any interest in producing an Apple cell phone back in 2003, four years prior to the launch of the original iPhone."

I seem to recall Jobs saying they wouldn't release a product until they were convinced they could make a real difference for consumers. I also recall Steve saying they developed the iPad first and only late in the game decided to do a small version as the iPhone.

TV is a tough market. Entering the "screen biz" is not very profitable and other major players do a terrific job with hardware. TV viewing is also going down in hours per day per person. I recall surveys saying consumers now use a computer more hours a week than TVs.

Hence, there are serious considerations as to what constitutes "The TV Market"!

I'm not in the biz, but can only guess that whatever device is released will not just be a TV, but will be part of the connected Apple ecosystem that runs the gamut from local hardware to the iCloud storage in Pennsylvania.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
The only way I see this happening is if it is a hybrid, TV/Apple display that can be hooked to a computer. Basically upgrade the current displays with TV components. Possibly redesign them too and add some ports.

arjaosx

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
New Zealand
This is why Apple takes competition by surprise.

Even if rumours are loud of what's coming none can see far enough to understand what Apple is up to.

As pretty as they may look, it still probably won't be as competitively priced with other brands with the same technology.

Yeah, because all Apple products are always more expensive than competitors like say the iPad.

So what's the point? Just integrating an Apple TV in a TV? Given the rate of change of technology, I prefer my TV to just be a dumb display - it's easy enough to swap $99 external boxes as technology improves, and a lot harder to replace 50+" TV's every couple years.

You want whats coming you just can't understand how its going to work for you.

This is idiotic. They're getting down in the dirt in a commodity business and their software advantage will be minimal. TVs are already simple enough to use.

Apple is noww more an consumer electronics company than a computer company and the king of the living room has always been the TV.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
..except that what all TVs already look like. But phones didn't look like the iphone until Apple showed it.

Yap, tell LG and their LG Prada

----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

In the United States, 720p is the preferred format for the broadcast and cable networks of Fox/FX/Fox Sports Net, ABC/Disney Channel/ESPN, A&E Television Networks, Ion Television, MLB Network, and DirecTV's Audience Network. It is also the default format online for many web television producers such as CNET, Hulu and Revision3 due to bandwidth concerns.

Add CBS to that also.

;)

And because the broadcast is 720p the TV has to be 720p?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.