Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rinseout

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Looking for advice in the following situation:

I have an old iTunes library which belonged to an iBook G4. The Library itself resided on a 1TB external HD together with some other stuff (mainly photos and old documents). There is a mix of DRM and non-DRM media in the library, both audio and video.

My new setup is a MacBook Air and a 2TB Time Capsule. I have my iBook connected to its external disk hooked up to the Time Capsule and visible on the network. Eventually I'd like to connect the external disk to the TC directly and use it for whatever (perhaps still large media files), but I want to just move everything to ./old or reformat to get rid of some cruft before doing that.

Right now my problem is how to get the media I care about accessible in iTunes on the MacBook Air, and having a good plan for growth and disaster recovery.

I have a lot of files in my old Library that I will probably never want to listen to or watch, but on the other hand I think I should keep it available in some fashion. Yet, it would be nice to keep the media (mainly music) that I do care about accessible even when I am away from home, although this isn't a show-stopper because of the iPod etc. Have toyed with the idea of playing with DJ software, but to be honest it would never be professionally.

How should I proceed with setting up my iTunes Library in this situation? Am I looking at multiple libraries, or just 1 library with a mix of care and don't care media on the TC, or the external disk linked up to the TC, or somewhere in between? Maybe a single library with the media not stored in the same location?

BASICALLY, How do I go from what I have to getting set up nicely?

Thanks for any advice!!

geovil

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2011
I am wondering if you've found solution because I have similar issue...?

I'm trying to maintain some of my iTunes media on my MBP, to keep it ready to use, but my movie/TV library has grown beyond useful size on my internal HD. I'm trying to figure out how to move the large movie/tv media to a large external array where I don't need it clogging up my internal, while maintaining SOME of the media where it can be viewed anywhere.

It seems I have the option of migrating entire library to external, where I can't keep it handy anywhere -- OR -- keeping it all clogging up my internal HD on my MBP.

Is there an option to split media off?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.