Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnnyblaze9875

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Hello, I have an iPhone 3GS version 4.3.3 now I used this site jailbreakme.com and I did it straight from my safari browser on my phone(bc my desktop needs a new motherboard). It installed Cydia and a few other apps but it Just keeps saying "springboard has crashed and needs to reboot and it says mobile substrate did not cause this problem" or something like that. So where the time should be it says "it Safe Mode" and if I try to reboot springboard it will work for a very short time than freeze and I have to hard reset it. i don't know much about hacking at all so can someone please help me? Do I need to restore my iPhone back to factory settings? I don't really know how to do that but saw a guide for it on this site. Or is there a way to fix this? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

agentmikeyd

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.729; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Happened to me 2. When in safe mode, open cydia and remove winterboard. Then reboot

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
What other apps did you install from Cydia? I highly doubt it's WinterBoard causing the phone to crash into safe mode. And (I have to ask this), did you install any cracked apps (apps that are normally paid but have been cracked and made free?) If so, that's probably your problem. A good rule of thumb is to never use cracked apps, not only because you're screwing the hard-working developers out of money, but because they can do this to your phone.

My suggestion is to open Cydia (which you can still do even if you get the message that the phone has crashed into safe mode...simply click "OK" instead of "Restart") and uninstall the apps you've downloaded. Then reinstall one by one and that will tell you which one is causing the problem.

Johnnyblaze9875

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Ok thanks, I will try that, question, when I try to remove some apps like big boss icon set It says warning removing this will interfere with the operation of Cydia or iOS, and I don't think I have any cracked apps just downloaded some ringtones and themes, although I did install a snes and genesis emulator, that could be the problem possibly, but I'll remove these emulators and see If that's the problem thanks. Some people have said that they have the same problem when they have a trial app, so maybe I have one of those I'm not sure but thanks for the input

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
It's been happening to me a lot lately and all I have installed is BiteSMS. Sometimes the iPhone will even boot into safe mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.