Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iTunes Match was released to developers today in an email from Apple:
itunesmatchbeta.jpg

In the email, Apple notes that beta subscribers will receive an additional 3 months free with their $24.99 paid subscription to cover the beta plus the standard 12 months after launch.

Apple also advises customers to maintain a local backup of their iTunes library and any music they add to iCloud. "Apple will periodically reset your iCloud library during the beta and it is critical that you backup your music regularly. Some features and optimizations of iTunes Match will not be available during the beta."

iCloud will give users the same benefits for their downloaded and ripped music as those purchased from the iTunes Music Store, up to 25,000 songs.

Article Link: iTunes Match Beta Now Available for Developers

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
Omg, it's been forever. I just want the darned iPhone 5 + iOS 5 to be released. Apple better have something big up their sleeve

johnryjr

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
So if a song is matched and re-downloaded, does it then count as an itunes download?

Also, I would like it if digital booklets and itunes lps were included. They don't come with re-downloaded music.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Once subscribed, you can add up to 25,000 songs to iCloud, and iTunes purchases do not count against this limit. iTunes Match will not add your apps, books, movies, TV shows, ringtones, and audiobooks to your iCloud library. These items can continue to be synced to your iOS device with iTunes. iTunes LPs and iTunes Extras are also unsupported.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Do we get iTunes Store quality files to download for the computer?

Are audiobooks included(I sure hope so!)?

iTunes will replace lower-bitrate files with iTunes copies. If your files have better bitrates than what Apple has, they won't get touched. If you have files that Apple doesn't, they will be uploaded to the servers.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
It's not as quick as Steve said in the keynote matching songs. I started to enable it on my iPhone and it said iTunes Match will replace music library on this device. I didn't know that was how it was gonna work. I'll feel better once all my music are legit, I'm ashamed to say a few songs are not. :eek:

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Omg, it's been forever. I just want the darned iPhone 5 + iOS 5 to be released. Apple better have something big up their sleeve

They do have something up their sleeve. It's called iOS 5 and the next iPhone and iPod Touch.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
So they are giving them 3 months free to cover the beta. Does that mean iCloud is coming out 3 months from now? Gosh I hope it's sooner.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Has anyone noticed yet that it places missing metadata in your library ?

I'm not sure but it sure looks like it does..I don't remember putting all that info in my library.

then again I'm old so who knows.

The Beatles

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2010
Im not sure how this is going to really be beneficial for someone that has around 3000 songs.

What would be the benefit?

(if you don't have anything helpful to say, just keep it to yourself).

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Im not sure how this is going to really be beneficial for someone that has around 3000 songs.

You can "stream" music on your IOS device even if it's not on your IOS device.

It doesn't have to be downloaded to your IOS device. It stays in the cloud.

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia

Your computer dies. You've got a high quality backup from iTunes to redownload.

You can rip a CD on your Mac, pick up your iPhone and see that the ripped CD is already there.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
How will it sync stuff in the New York subway?

Or in an airplane or cruise ship (unless you pay for wi fi).

You basically asked: How can I use the Internet when I don't have an Internet connection? :rolleyes:

Has anyone noticed yet that it places missing metadata in your library ?

I'm not sure but it sure looks like it does..I don't remember putting all that info in my library.

then again I'm old so who knows.

Since iTunes Match is leveraging the iTunes Store for all its downloading and data collection, a side benefit of extra metadata from the iTunes Store to your library shouldn't be all that surprising.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You do have to download. iTunes match isn't a streaming service. It's a downloading service.

I just "streamed" a song without downloading it. I had the choice of clicking on the cloud to download it or just hitting play and it streamed.

Now it may have started to download it but it was still streaming before it finished downloading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.