Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lisaasil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2011
Last night, I was downloading some music from iTunes on my iPhone when a picture of two guys, one of them giving the finger, appear on my iTunes Music tab.

Never seen anything like it before.

Turned the phone off, then back on and it was gone.

Did I contract a virus? Has my account been hacked?

Thanks in advance.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Did I contract a virus? Has my account been hacked?

No - there aren't any known viruses that infect iPhones in the same way that they can infect your Windows or Mac computer.

Just out of interest, is your iPhone jailbroken? Jailbreaking your phone and not securing it properly can leave it compromised and, thus, open to attackers who use default root passwords, etc. to gain access. This is something you should consider and be aware of.

If you are not Jailbroken, it's more likely that the iTunes app just went a bit screwy while trying to download/display album art. I'd keep an eye on it for the next few days. If other strange things occur, consider resetting your iPhone back to factory defaults in iTunes.

Cheers,

RTP.

rieuk

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
If other strange things occur, consider resetting your iPhone back to factory defaults in iTunes.

If he does this is there any way he can retain his SMS/Contacts? Because of course restoring from Backup would merely restore the virus assuming that there is one.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I always wondered the same thing, can the iPhone get a virus?

If you are not up to date on your iOS software(4.3.5 GSM or 4.2.10 CDMA), it is theoretically possible for someone to take control of your phone through various exploits, most of them vulnerabilities in Safari. Of course, there are other methods in which you could steal information from someone, like connecting to an unsecured WiFi, etc.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Oh no!

Go into Settings on your iPhone.

Then go to General.

Then go to Restrictions.

Scroll down to the section called Allowed Content.

Select Music & Podcasts.

Turn off Explicit.

Then the virus will be gone.

Other settings related to Allowed Content will get rid of other viruses.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
Oh no!

Go into Settings on your iPhone.

Then go to General.

Then go to Restrictions.

Scroll down to the section called Allowed Content.

Select Music & Podcasts.

Turn off Explicit.

Then the virus will be gone.

Other settings related to Allowed Content will get rid of other viruses.

Huh? You realise that's related to parental controls and not stopping viruses? :confused:

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
I always wondered the same thing, can the iPhone get a virus?

As mentioned, there are no known viruses that infect iPhones. However, it is possible that your phone can get hacked. This likelihood is increased when if your iPhone is jailbroken.

RTP.

----------

If he does this is there any way he can retain his SMS/Contacts? Because of course restoring from Backup would merely restore the virus assuming that there is one.

If the OP was syncing his contacts between his iPhone and computer, then yes these can simply be synced back to the phone once the restore has taken place. SMS messages will be lost.

Cheers,

RTP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.