Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

In-Correct

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
DFW, TX USA
I have up and running an

1 :apple: PowerBook g3
1 :apple: tray loading imac g3
2 :apple: slot loading imac g3

9.2.2 native boot on all.
(and Tiger on one of them)

will internal SSD work? :confused:
I would love to see fast 9.2.2 load even faster!! :) :cool: :p ;) :D

Last edited:

MAC MAN JW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Buffalo,Ny
I have up and running an

1 :apple: PowerBook g3
1 :apple: tray loading imac g3
2 :apple: slot loading imac g3

9.2.2 native boot on all.
(and Tiger on one of them)

will internal SSD work? :confused:
I would love to see fast 9.2.2 load even faster!! :) :cool: :p ;) :D

Tiger Yes!:) os 9 i do not know:confused: if you do get a ssd make sure you get a ATA ssd drive!

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
This upgrade will help the drive speed a little but with them all being G3 the money you will need to invest will not have anywhere near the return in performance boost.

I'm not even sure OS 9 could deal with an SSD properly. Not that it wouldn't work at all but there could very well be data corruption and/or loss. There is also no TRIM support that many SSD need to perform properly.

If performance is the goal then take the 400+ the 3x SSD would cost and buy a fast G4 and still have 100-200 left.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
This upgrade will help the drive speed a little but with them all being G3 the money you will need to invest will not have anywhere near the return in performance boost.

I'm not even sure OS 9 could deal with an SSD properly. Not that it wouldn't work at all but there could very well be data corruption and/or loss. There is also no TRIM support that many SSD need to perform properly.

If performance is the goal then take the 400+ the 3x SSD would cost and buy a fast G4 and still have 100-200 left.

where are you getting your ssd's from i payed for 2x 64gb ide ssd's for my iMac G3's just £120 so £60 each (transcent from ebay still in original packaging unopend)and you could get even cheaper ones with ~10-20GB and it makes a improvement

and the little Tiger learns to fly

Last edited:

brycemason

macrumors member
May 18, 2011
You don't need TRIM support on OWC's PATA drives. They have garbage collection built in to the Sandforce chip. You will love the speed, but hate the cost.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I more than agree about the cost, I am still waiting for them to lower down the price for the 120gb PATA SSD, if they can slash off a hundred bucks of the price I would buy one right away for my powerbook...

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Don't know, but you won't get too much of a performance boost (G3s are quite slow) and it's honestly a waste of money. You could probably get a dual processor G5 tower for that money.

In-Correct

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
DFW, TX USA
btw only need like 20gb internal disk. I store on external devices anyways. OWC make smaller capacity drives also? :confused:

I guess by the time hard drives wear out, I will have money saved for expensive giant OWC SSD drives. :p

not concerned with huge :eek: speed increase ... I understand processors are low end.
tried opening .avi and .mov files ... it works when playing ... but not "rewind" and "fast forward" (holding down QuickTime's << and >> Buttons)

( love the sped up audio :D )

but 9.2.2 is :cool: :p so impressive with general use. curious about it being even faster than fast!!

and
What makes you think I am not planning to get a dual processor G5 tower? :D with another SSD. :D
but that one would be my tiger only computer.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
btw only need like 20gb internal disk. I store on external devices anyways. OWC make smaller capacity drives also? :confused:

I guess by the time hard drives wear out, I will have money saved for expensive giant OWC SSD drives. :p

not concerned with huge :eek: speed increase ... I understand processors are low end.
tried opening .avi and .mov files ... it works when playing ... but not "rewind" and "fast forward" (holding down QuickTime's << and >> Buttons)

( love the sped up audio :D )

but 9.2.2 is :cool: :p so impressive with general use. curious about it being even faster than fast!!

and
What makes you think I am not planning to get a dual processor G5 tower? :D with another SSD. :D
but that one would be my tiger only computer.

Personally I would get a Dual 1.25Ghz G4 MDD with OS 9.2.2 and an SSD... That would be pretty much the ultimate Mac OS 9 Machine (I think my Dual 867 G4 gets quite close, and certainly handles all my 9Ware).

In-Correct

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2009
DFW, TX USA
I Think I Have It:

okay so:

:apple: all prior to g3 CAN boot natively to original microkernel mac os (althogh not all the way to 9.2.2)
:apple: all g3

g4 can NOT boot 9.2.2 except:

:apple: titanium powerbook
:apple: first 3 of the 4 powermac
:apple: first 1 of the 4 emac
:apple: cube
:apple: first 1 of the 4 imac desk lamp

none of g5 and later ...

am I Correct?

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
You asked the what Macs run OS9 question and I then provide a link with literally ALL the answers and yet you still ask questions that link answers for you.

Too much redundancy my friend.. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.