Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barnetda

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hi everyone,

This is a convoluted one so hold on to your seats.

You need sound flower and LineIn for this to keep Rosetta Stone from changing the Sample Rate of your USB Headset to 16kHz. In LineIn make the input from field your USB Microphone then make the output to Sound Flower 2ch then select Pass Thru. In both the Sound Flower and USB setting in the Utility Audio MIDI setup make sure that everything is 44.1kHz Make sure Rosetta stone is pointed to Sound Flower 2ch.

You sound output can remain the USB Headset. The software bug is Rosetta Stone changing the input to 16kHz and then Rosetta Stone does nothing after that. Sound flower and LineIn run interference to keep it from doing that

Worked for me!
good luck!

Matthew

I downloaded Soundflower but it doesn't seem to work with Lion??

Anyone got a workaround to get a mic either internal or external to show in Rosetta Stone Version 3 with Lion please? Its still greyed out in the Rosetta Stone software but the external mic definitely works in Skype.

Thanks

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Hi,
Some of you are discussing a problem where your microphones are no longer visible in the list of microphones after upgrading to OS 10.7. At least in my case I was able to upgrade to the most current version of rosetta stone and my microphones are now listed and work fine. I was at V3.4.5 of the Rosetta Stone, here is the link :

http://support.rosettastone.com/lin...a-Stone-Version-3-Latest-Application-Versions

Just download and install the new version.

iMac V10.7

I upgraded to Lion a few weeks ago and a friend gave me her Rosetta Stone program to learn French. It was an older version 3.3.7. I was having the same mic problems with RS not even seeing the microphone. I tried setting the sound to line-in and volume at half but it didn't work.

Then I upgraded to 3.4.5 and it fixed everything. RS is MUCH better with speech recognition. Only thing is I have to go back and repeat some of the lessons :) C'est la vie!

marvstodolsky

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
RosettaStone & Soundflower

Matthew

I downloaded Soundflower but it doesn't seem to work with Lion??

Anyone got a workaround to get a mic either internal or external to show in Rosetta Stone Version 3 with Lion please? Its still greyed out in the Rosetta Stone software but the external mic definitely works in Skype.

Thanks

=======
M Lococo's fix is working fine for me, though it took a little jiggling.
1) See https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3211820?start=0&tstart=0
for restoring the Applications/Utilities/Audio Midi Setup
---
With this Ap open, one can choose to use for the output: SunFlower 2ch
for the USB mike Input on my System: AK5 370
and 44100 Hz

Clicking the Sunflower app indeed doesn't seem to do anything.
However Sunflower is somehow perceived by "Audio Midi Setup"
and LineIn

Within LineIn, there can be chosen
Input: AK5 370
Output: Sunflower (2ch)
----
Then when one selects PassThrough, speaking into the mike,
shows a response in the LineIn graphic

Additionally one may/maynot have to reset the settings in RosettaStone Ver3
after each restart.

I haven't yet been able to write a script to do the above automatically,
not yet haven't found documentation on the component utilities.
If anyone has useful info this regard, please assist.

returnshift

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Halifax, Canada
Running RS 3.4.5 with Lion

I was having trouble with opening RS 3.4.5 (using lion). I kept getting the "PPC apps are no longer supported" message. So I right clicked rosetta stone, clicked "show package contents", then went to Contents>MacOS> and opened 'Rosetta Stone" if you open this executable RS works fine... Not sure why, but now I'm learning German!

Hope that helps.

pisadoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
Rosetta stone V3.4.5 / Lion 10.7

Bonjour.

Très souvent le micro n'est pas reconnu avec 10.7 parce que le fichier hosts est corrompu.
Voir HD/private/etc/hosts.

++

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Rosetta stone V3.4.5 / Lion 10.7

Bonjour.

Very often the microphone is not recognized with 10.7 because the hosts file is corrupted.
See HD / private / etc / hosts.

++

(...Via google translate)

I considered buying Rosetta Stone during the Borders' liquidation. They sold out before they got low enough in price for me to buy one. But I'm still somewhat interested so I found this thread.

What could the hosts file possibly have to do with the microphone? Can you be a little more specific?

(Via google translate...)
J'ai envisagé d'acheter Rosetta Stone lors de la liquidation de la frontière ». Ils ont vendu avant ils ont obtenu des prix suffisamment bas pour moi d'en acheter un. Mais je suis toujours un peu intéressé alors j'ai trouvé ce fil.

Que pourrait faire le fichier hosts éventuellement avoir à faire avec le micro? Pouvez-vous être un peu plus précis?

pisadoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
What could the hosts file possibly have to do with the microphone? Can you be a little more specific?

Je ne comprend pas pourquoi le fichier hosts pose problème.
Et honnêtement, je ne sais plus ce qui m'a guidé sur la piste du fichier hosts.

J'ai cherché longtemps pourquoi le micro n'était pas reconnu par RosettaStone sur mon MBP, alors que le fonctionnement était parfait sur mes autres machines..

Sur mon MBP, j'ai constaté que le fichier hosts était corrompu.
Je l'ai remplacé par celui pris sur une autre machine et RosettaStone à reconnu le micro.

J'ai regardé sur les machines de deux amis qui avaient le problème de reconnaissance du micro par RosettaStone.
Les deux machines avaient le fichier hosts corrompu.
J'ai remplacé le fichier hosts et le micro était reconnu...

Le point commun de ces machine est l'utilisation de 10.7 et RosettaStone.

Sinon, elles utilisent différentes langues principale end/fr/de.
Les micros ont toujours fonctionnés avec iChat, Skype, VirtualBox, VWware Fusion, etc..

Mon anglais est très mauvais, donc j'écris en français.
Excusez moi. :)

ego eimai

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Rosettastone headset not recognized here is the solution.

Hey guys, if you have trouble with rosettastone not recognizing your microphone, and you are stuck, here is the solution:
Install parallels, install a copy of windows xp, and then install rosettastone in the windows operating system, not on the mac.
It will recognize the headset and any kind of mic and it will work like a charm. Worked great for me.

RNGypsy03

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2011
And the answer is...

OK, I have the new 15" retina display macbook pro running 10.8.2
I installed a "gifted" copy of Rosetta Stone v3.4.5 for MAC
When I set up the program there were no Microphones to choose from. I tried everything, sound flower, Linein, I set it up to the 44.4 hz thingie, and pointed it to my logitech h540 USB headset. And this might have all worked except....I had done one last thing before I had set up the sound flower....I went to the Rosetta Stone support page and found an update that they had recently released. I was afraid at first to do the update, because I was afraid it would mess up my 'gifted' copy of Rosetta stone, (I didn't have an activated version) . But, what the hey..I tried to download it and it installed. Now, I had soundflower, and linein all set up...my headphones were plugged in, the update was downloaded...time to reboot...I did so and
Voilà! Suddenly Rosetta saw my internal microphone and the Soundflower Ch2 and Ch64. I chose CH2, as suggested above...set up the microphone 1,2,3,4,5... and it worked! Except the sound was going in through the Logitech and out through the computer.

So, I deleted Soundflower..and Linein...unplugged my Logitech headset...reset my microphone in Rosetta to Internal Microphone...then went back to my computer Sound Setup and made sure everything there was pointing to the internal microphone......Back to Rosetta, and I was up and running. Next I plugged in a set of Apple earbuds...from my old iphone 4s...and the whole thing WORKS! yeah!!

Bottom line...skip the Soundflower and Linein...and just install the little update for version 3...even if you have a 'gifted' copy...

Here is the link for the download for the MAC update for Rosetta V3 or V3.4.5

http://success.rosettastone.com/art...3-Latest-Application-Versions/?q=Text&l=en_US

Au Revoir

seporad

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2013
Solution

Ok this worked !!! I followed the link to

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3210610?start=0&tstart=0

and once there I followed a post that advised the following update. Version 3 updated to 3.4.5. All my user progress was unaffected. The microphone worked just fine after this. I was having the same problem that everyone else had. I had Version 3 of Rosetta Stone but had upgraded to Mac OS Lion 10.7.5 and no microphone was recognized despite functionality in preferences. Here is the link for the auto dmg-download upgrade:

http://resources.rosettastone.com/r.../macintosh/Rosetta Stone Version 3 Update.dmg

Last edited:

Edwardfla

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2015
Solution for Rosetta Stone USB Microphone Headset

I have a Mac with Yosemite installed. After a dozen of suggested solutions of how to get Rosetta Stone to recognize my USB headset, I FINALLY found the solution. It was right out there and no one posted it.

http://www.rosettastone.com/v4productdownload?product=FRAS5

It's a RS update. It may ask you to get your authentication code handy, but it never asked me for it during the update. It only asked what languages and levels I was updating, which were already installed on my computer. The whole update took about 10 - 15 minutes. I rebooted my Mac to be safe and everything works like it should. The USB headset came up for me to choose and off I was to learning my new language.

How frustrating it was for about 2 weeks trying to find out why... And people had my fiddling with different settings etc. !

I hope this solves someones problem!:apple::D

americantigres

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Rosetta Stone Fix

Hi,
Some of you are discussing a problem where your microphones are no longer visible in the list of microphones after upgrading to OS 10.7. At least in my case I was able to upgrade to the most current version of rosetta stone and my microphones are now listed and work fine. I was at V3.4.5 of the Rosetta Stone, here is the link :

http://support.rosettastone.com/lin...a-Stone-Version-3-Latest-Application-Versions

iMac V10.7

This worked for me! Thank you!

americantigres

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Rosetta Stone Fix

Hi,

iMac V10.7

Thank you! Worked immediately!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.