Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocoloco

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Hello,

I'm new to the Apple world. I recently got the MBA and the only thing I can say: Where have u been all my life Apple?

I'm looking for a sleeve now, to protect her =)

I can't decide between

- Samsonite http://www.samsonite.co.uk/aramon2-laptop-sleeve-s-34cm-13-4inch-silver/product-en.htm

- Huzzk rubber sleeve http://www.huzzk.com/huzzk_sleevie_GT_13.asp

and
- LA robe Air http://www.be-ez.com/la-robe-air-black-addict.html

I like the practicality of the first two, but also the protection LA robe is offering.

What do you think?

Rok

Last edited:

kanate

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2010
I love Jack Spade bags. Is that a waxwear bag? What's the exact model?

It's "Drill Nylon Computer Field Bag". I cannot find it anywhere now. It has leather grab handle in the back. Got it about $400. a bit larger than their normal Computer Field Bag. The Drill Nylon is much nicer than their normal nylon canvas too, hence the higher price.

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
I like your taste even though I can't afford that stuff yet. I like the second one that has a separate compartment for clothes and your electronics. I often travel and end up putting some spare clothes, laptop, and iPad in the same compartment and it gets messy and too tight for comfort and easy access.

It seriously perplexes me how many people buy the BookBook case. It's so tacky and not tasteful imo. It seems to be popular among Macrumors members so sorry for hating but it blows my mind when I see Apple accessories that are that tacky.

I hear you. Although, I'm not sure that I think it is tacky. I don't really like seeing it used as a cover (using the laptop in the sleeve) as I like seeing it as a sleeve. To be honest, I really like the leather sleeve by Hard Graft for the macbook air, but not sure that I want to spend that much on a sleeve. (like $200ish) I have also looked at the Vaja case, but it is about that much too.

So I will update here once I decide on what to get, and for the time being, I will not worry about it.

BTW what sleeve do you use?

sexytabitha

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
What do you think about these? Shame the 13" version is a month away. 11" will be availible next week.
http://www.chinao-usa.com

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpg
    IMG_2417.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    IMG_2410.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_2433.jpg
    IMG_2433.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2430.jpg
    IMG_2430.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 332

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I like your taste even though I can't afford that stuff yet. I like the second one that has a separate compartment for clothes and your electronics. I often travel and end up putting some spare clothes, laptop, and iPad in the same compartment and it gets messy and too tight for comfort and easy access.

It seriously perplexes me how many people buy the BookBook case. It's so tacky and not tasteful imo. It seems to be popular among Macrumors members so sorry for hating but it blows my mind when I see Apple accessories that are that tacky.

Agreed. Simply Stunning has good taste! :) That backpack looks amazing. The folding bag is interesting. Not really something I'd buy, but I do appreciate its design anyway!

Its folding top reminds me of Crumpler's Pinnacle of Horrors, but fancier. I realize they're not really the same at all (you can't use the Crumpler when it's unfolded), but it's weird that I've seen 2 bags with that style recently. I really like the Crumpler. It's beautiful in person. Not sure how that backpack would look in person (it certainly doesn't look good in the video), but it sure looks good in photos! ;)

Not sure about the BookBook either. :eek:

Dowjohnny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Germany
nope

Agreed. Simply Stunning has good taste! :) That backpack looks amazing.
:eek:

Sorry, but that backpack just looks gay. (maybe because of that male model lol)

The bookbook isn't tacky, it is just getting a bit too popular and common, still i like it.

Well, everybody has his own taste ^^

optmi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
My Untype Sleeve

I keep saying I'm going to review my felt sleeve but I never seem to have time...stuck between catching up on Mad Men episodes on netflix, work and bar outings....so here goes:

I have the Charcoal Merino Wool Felt Case with Leather Strap from Untype.com and its the one that I recommend to people with MBA's or iPads. When I'm travelling for work, I get asked all the time about it. If you want the cheaper version, there's one without a leather strap. Both look very stylish but I think the leather goes well.

The protection is pretty good in that the felt has protected my MBA while in my messenger bag with all my other crap in there (pens, iphone etc). I swing around that bag quite a bit and its taken serious punishment in the plane overhead bins when I fly.

As for the :apple: aesthetic, it goes perfectly with the MBA and keeps the weight off the whole package when you travel. I HATE travelling heavy and that's why I jumped on the MBA, so I needed something that was going to protect but not weight a lot.

The cool thing is that it's hand-made. I would go with either the White, grey or charcoal versions if you do get one. I prefer charcoal but that's just me.

They still have that promotion going on their website which brings the cost down significantly. The code is: "Summer11". Here's the promo code link.

Here's a pic of the one I got from their website:

e9c9caa6c6994d02b9b8cd4b57535b91_820x820.jpg

f44a9407bbd7499a99531e69982ca773_820x820.jpg

trevorgehman

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
I bought an Incase 11" Slim Sleeve for my Macbook Air 11", and I must say I'm not impressed. The fit is definitely not snug.. I think since the Macbook Air 11" is pointed, there is a gap on one end of the sleeve, and just a lot of room for it to move around... the fit just isn't snug, and I hate it.

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/11-neoprene-slim-sleeve-cl57918

I absolutely loved the Incase sleeve for my 13" Macbook Pro, because it fit very snuggly and provided the basic protection I'm looking for.

What sleeve would you guys recommend? I want it to fit snuggly, but also be easy to get in and out... I didn't want to get the Incase sleeve (with the flap instead of the zipper) because I heard it was tough to get the Air in and out.

I'm looking at these, but have the same concern about the fit:

http://www.brenthaven.com/mac-catalog/prostyle-sleeve-11-charcoal-0#viewer

http://www.hardcandycases.com/bubble-sleeve-macbook-air-case.html#scProductReviews

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjE5MjgxNzM&s=topSellers

Damian.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
What do you think about these? Shame the 13" version is a month away. 11" will be availible next week.
http://www.chinao-usa.com

Wow that looks really nice. Can't wait for the 13" version.
Do they ship overseas?

[edit] Does anyone know if there are similar cases in case they don't ship overseas?

[edit 2] Nevermind. I emailed them and got a reply. They do ship overseas.

Last edited:

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles

I'm with you. I never really understood the draw of the BookBook case. I think it looks awful and certainly not in keeping with modern technology, but that's just me.

To each his own...So happy we do have choices. :)

sexytabitha

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Do they ship overseas?

[edit] Does anyone know if there are similar cases in case they don't ship overseas?

yeah I'm waiting on the 13" too hopefully they will have it soon. I buy all my case there, great customer service, great prices and very fast shipping. I have the 13" Waterfield Muzetto but want something thin lightweight that i can carry by its self or toss in the bag when i travel.

icchy

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
Hey guys,
Has anyone seen anything else like this one? I'm looking for a messenger bag that matches the slimness and form of the macbook air. Maybe something with 2-3inch Dimensions. Instead of the standard 15Lx11Wx4D on most messengers.

I got the Brenthaven ProStyle sleeve and have been really happy with it.

http://www.brenthaven.com/mac-catalog/prostyle-sleeve-11-charcoal-0

I saw these bags mentioned in another thread, but I couldn't tell if anyone had ended up buying one - Does anyone have one?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/61158315/messenger-bag-for-11-macbook-air-black

I think I'm pretty set on getting one (once I can save up the $$ again), but I'm more undecided between the 11" and 13" (I have the 11" Air). I wanna keep my gear minimal, so I dunno if the 13" would feel too big. Eventually I'll want to carry the MBA with an iPad and other stuff.

sexytabitha

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Do they ship overseas?

Got a email from the seller this morning stating that the 13" sleeves will be in stock around the 15th

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
Rothco M-51 Engineers Field Messenger Bag

Well, this just arrived.

So, first impression... it's a big bag. But since I'm a big boy (6'1" height), I don't feel like it's that big. It actually fits my body more than the smaller ones and it feels less like a manpurse that way. I think it's a good fit for me.

The body of the bag is very solid, and definitely sturdy.

The strap... seems thin and very light. Kind of flimsy. I tried to pull and did some practice swings with some weights in there (around 10 pounds), and it seems okay so far. But there is something about that thin connector that I don't quite like. Guess I'm in the market for some sturdier strap in the long run.

In terms of real estate, we are looking at a bag that's... big enough to hold more than 3 laptops altogether. I'm able to fit both my 13" MBA and my 13" MBP in with relative ease... plus a netbook, and still have plenty of room left for other stuffs.

Of course I wouldn't travel with all of those at once, but still with some good mass inside, and I'm fairly hopeful that this bag will hold up. If anything, at least it's good looking, and it packs a hell of a lot of room for something so... "compact".

Up next, photos:

Size compared to 13" MBA. The bag is actually just slightly bigger than the MBA. Oh, and I didn't mention, but it has a bottle compartment as well.

Whoopsie... nope, my camera won't be able to go in there. iPhone 4 it is...

Room!

In case you still haven't figured out what that black thing is, it's the Speck case.

Anyway, pouches in the back:

And the flap... which the 13" MBA can fit in with relative ease.

So... for $40 (with 2-day shipping, it's something like $50), I am feeling that it's a good buy. It's hard to tell at this point, so I'll revisit this mini-review once I've had at least a few weeks in. But the space is something I'm appreciating very much. It still has a lot of other compartments, which I'll take photos of in the revisit once I've figured out what I'm going to use them for.

Edit: forgot to mention, but it's a messenger-style bag despite the big size. It's not a backpack, and I'm actually kind of thankful for that since the back side can be utilized for more storage.

Last edited:

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
Curious...why do you think your ACME case bled color onto your Wrapsol film. I have the 13" ACME (no film on Air), no stains. I would think if the sleeves were that prone to bleeding I might also see some residual coloration on my case.

Just wondering incase I need to watch out for possible stains.

I think the problem lies with the films rather than the Acme case ... I don't imagine you'll experience a problem with the "unwrapped" MBA in the Acme sleeve.

I had the same thing happen to an iPad in a Dodo case ... the film on the back turned bright blue. I found this odd since the interior case color was green.

I have no idea why certain films are susceptible to discoloration inside certain cases. I've reapplied the Wrapsol to my MBA Ultimate and intend to just keep the MBA inside my messenger bag without a case or sleeve. That's a choice I might regret, but I probably won't have to worry about discoloration again.

Damian.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
Hey guys,
Has anyone seen anything else like this one? I'm looking for a messenger bag that matches the slimness and form of the macbook air. Maybe something with 2-3inch Dimensions. Instead of the standard 15Lx11Wx4D on most messengers.
The Acme Made 13" Clutch:

H4774

H4774_AV3

H4774_AV4

Link: http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&mco=MjE4NjE1NTY&s=topSellers

Got a email from the seller this morning stating that the 13" sleeves will be in stock around the 15th
Thanks. I got the same mail.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Muzetto bags are nice, but they are expensive. I personally can't justify it =T

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.