Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we noted that new Apple CEO Tim Cook has been taking time to respond to the many emails coming his way congratulating him on his new position, wondering if he might follow the precedent of Steve Jobs and be willing to engage directly with customers via email as the contacts turned more toward questions and complaints than pleasantries.

eddy_cue.jpg

Apple's Eddy Cue (Source: Deanne Fitzmaurice/San Francisco Chronicle)
Evidence of Cook's engagement in addressing more substantial issues comes today by way of a report from iPhoneinCanada.ca noting that Apple is planning on bringing its iTunes Match service to Canadian customers "shortly". The revelation came after a customer emailed Tim Cook, who apparently forwarded the question to Apple's vice president for Internet services, Eddy Cue. Cue quickly responded to the customer, sharing the news that Apple is working hard on bringing the service to Canada.
Hi Sheldon,

We're working on adding Canada and hope to do so shortly after the US launch.

Eddy
The news is certainly welcome for Apple's Canadian customers, and should offer hope to users in other countries still waiting for word on the service making its way to their markets. As with any content offering from Apple, iTunes Match requires highly-localized contracts to be negotiated with the content rights holders, complicating the process of making such services available in all markets in a timely fashion.

While emails to Steve Jobs have sometimes resulted in follow-up contacts from members of Apple's support staff, it is still encouraging to see emails to Tim Cook being quickly passed along to be answered by appropriate personnel, even including other executives.

Article Link: Apple Executives Getting Chatty: iTunes Match Coming 'Shortly' to Canada

Žalgiris

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Lithuania
WOW Canada. Where's the rest of the world god dman it? I feel like i'm living in some dark corner of the world. AGAIN.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
As a Canadian, I think this is fantastic. While I don't necessarily NEED this service, since I can just get my music through daily wireless syncs with my Mac, I will likely sign up. Then if my Mac dies, I can just download everything from iCloud.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
This headline is misleading. It isn't (necessarily) coming to Canada "shortly"; it's coming "shortly after the US launch." While the US launch is obviously expected to be soon, I wouldn't hold my breath on Canada at the moment--we really don't know how long either will be at the moment.

dodgerbluetx

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Žalgiris said:
WOW Canada. Where's the rest of the world god dman it? I feel like i'm living in some dark corner of the world. AGAIN.

So, move.

:D

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
As if the CEO goes through all the mails coming to the respective account. Surely there's a secretary that go through the emails, passes some on to other executives, and a few to the CEO himself. Quite possibly the secretary even answers some of the mail in the CEOs name.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
As if the CEO goes through all the mails coming to the respective account. Surely there's a secretary that go through the emails, passes some on to other executives, and a few to the CEO himself. Quite possibly the secretary even answers some of the mail in the CEOs name.

i was beginning to wonder when he would have time to work! :p

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
Great tradition to keep alive...

It's great that new CEO Tim Cook uses his down time, probably between unwrapping and eating an energy bar, to answer or pass along customer emails.
Considering his new compensation package from Apple and thus calculating the value of his time, each of his responses must be worth at least a couple of bucks.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I thought Canada was America's Hat:

http://www.bustedtees.com/canadaamericashat

Come on guys... it's all in fun!

w00master

Shall we list all the things you can say against the US? I'm talking both jokingly and also the massive list of horrific truths.

Making fun of people because they are peaceful and laid back is just ridiculous. These joke have also been used for decades and are getting really old.

If something is all in fun then at least make it funny rather than the same old boring crap jokes.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Shall we list all the things you can say against the US? I'm talking both jokingly and also the massive list of horrific truths.

Making fun of people because they are peaceful and laid back is just ridiculous. These joke have also been used for decades and are getting really old.

If something is all in fun then at least make it funny rather than the same old boring crap jokes.

Wowsers... someone had a bad day.

w00master

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
ehm... great, what does this mean? I thought iTunes match would become available with iCloud which will be available with iOS5?

So does that mean that we europeans won't get iTunes match anytime soon?

Sorry, but I'm about done with the fact that Apple promotes something like iOS 5 INTERNATIONALLY, yet neglects to mention, that major features won't be available to two thirds of the customers anyways!

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
It makes perfect sense that a guy who would play on 40+ year old jokes would use the word "wowsers"

How's your 57 Chevy doing?

Wow. Seriously wow. You're having a bad day. Why don't you chill out and calm down?

w00master

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
ehm... great, what does this mean? I thought iTunes match would become available with iCloud which will be available with iOS5?

So does that mean that we europeans won't get iTunes match anytime soon?

Sorry, but I'm about done with the fact that Apple promotes something like iOS 5 INTERNATIONALLY, yet neglects to mention, that major features won't be available to two thirds of the customers anyways!

was mentioned from the start that both iTunes match and the equivalent option for music purchased via the iTunes store would be us only.

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008

Really, the joke that "isn't Canada a part of the states anyway?" is more of a joke on the stupidity of *some* Americans, not on Canada. It's just like those people who think Borat is a mockery of jews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.