Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I went with OTA on my iP4 and worked perfectly.
All my old apps work with this one. Seems we're close to the final release :)

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Skimming two pages of this thread makes me wonder if all of you are developers. Why would a developer be using an iOS beta on his main machine?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Skimming two pages of this thread makes me wonder if all of you are developers. Why would a developer be using an iOS beta on his main machine?
Stand alone, non contract iPhone4/ipod /ipad for a spare are $$$$.

elie.fares

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
Checked Software Update. Nothing.
Erased the iPhone. Still nothing.

I guess I'll have to download the whole thing :/

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I went with OTA on my iP4 and worked perfectly.
All my old apps work with this one. Seems we're close to the final release :)

I've still got a couple apps that aren't working, although I'm sure one is due to a needed update from the developer.

Since Beta 1, Checkbook crashes any time I attempt to open an account. Also, new with this beta, the app badge indicating tasks due today in the Todo app are no longer showing up.

The OS may be ready for prime time but 3rd party application functionality is really no indication. This just shows the developers need to issue updates.

Last edited:

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
Not bad at all! If this is the final beta before GM, this will probably be the longest stretch without an update.. Hopefully GM in the next 2-3 weeks.. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

God I hope not. If this is anywhere near the final release, it's going to be a disaster. It's still very buggy. Every release fixes something while breaking something else. They also still need to give some lovin' to Safari, it crashes way too often.

Bronken

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2011
Yep I am having the exact same issue! I can't use my data without having access to the menu to input my settings!

Just did a full restore in iTunes to ios5b7. Didn't help carrier Settings are gone. Hopfully they'll be back with beta8 or ill have to get a new one...

ps89

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2010
Is it just me or the Merriam Webster Dictionary app is not working properly in Beta 7? The app just freezes and then crashes when selecting a word after performing a search. It was working perfectly fine in Beta 6.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So, "upgrade" doesn't "just work"?

I thought that Apple fans claimed that "reformat - reinstall" was a Windows thing....

Funny, I would have thought that from the ten posts pointing out it's a beta, you would have figured out it's a beta.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Yes it's beta, i acknowledge beta is buggy but love messing with the latest and greatest but why should that be a means of not allowing people collaborating to fix a problem or figure a way around to get it to work. So you people complaining about other people testing the beta, having problems and asking on here for help can go bump yourself. Next time you look for help don't bother asking on the forums if you can't accept that. All software has bugs regardless if it's final. We are all essentially beta testers when it comes down to it, like it or not.

Quit moaning and groaning. If you can't help, complaining posts don't help that person one bit. If you want to complain then there's section in this forum for that.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
So you people complaining about other people testing the beta, having problems and asking on here for help can go bump yourself.

Asking for help is one thing.
Bitching about how lousy the beta is is another.
Requests for help will always be answered (as far as I have seen) but spouting off about how lousy something is or how someone needs to be fired only make that person sound like an idiot.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Asking for help is one thing.
Bitching about how lousy the beta is is another.
Requests for help will always be answered (as far as I have seen) but spouting off about how lousy something is or how someone needs to be fired only make that person sound like an idiot.

True, that is inexcusable.

thesalmonator

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
I've recently started using iOS 5 (since beta 6) and honestly, I found more bugs in iOS 4.3.3 on my 3GS than in beta 6 or beta 7. That said, both times I have downloaded the whole IPSW rather than using the OTA delta updates which I'm still a bit sceptical of.

I'd say as long as you understand that it's a beta so there are without doubt going to be some bugs still, and you know how to get yourself out of a bad situation (such as music not playing or getting stuck in a restart loop) and you back up regularly then go for it. But otherwise wait for the GM or final release. Don't expect it to be as stable as whatever you're currently on and then come crying on a forum for help when something goes wrong.

For what it's worth, I think we may see one more beta in around a week, and then the GM around September 30 (or whenever the iPhone 5 launch ends up being).

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Didn't you all sign a NDA?!

Dudes, this ain't the place to be complaining about issues you're having with the beta updates, the place for that is the developer only forum on the ADC site. Aren't you breaching NDA by describing such issues here?

For what it's worth, I've heard (cough-cough) that a DFU error can be fixed by beginning a restore in iTunes (using the downloaded image), which then complains the device can't take that version, then the device restarts and it's all good. That's just what I've heard of course, I can't talk about my own experiences here due to the NDA I signed (OK, clicked), obviously.

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
I am on vacation and using beta 6 still .... I can't risk bricking or having problems with mu ipad2 as I have no laptop with me (obviously) to restore if it all goes tits up.

But my question is, if beta 8 comes out before I get home do you think I can update from 6 straight to 8? Thus completely skipping 7?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I am on vacation and using beta 6 still .... I can't risk bricking or having problems with mu ipad2 as I have no laptop with me (obviously) to restore if it all goes tits up.

But my question is, if beta 8 comes out before I get home do you think I can update from 6 straight to 8? Thus completely skipping 7?
How long is your vacation!? iOS5 beta releases have been on a 12-16 day cycle, that would be a rockin vacation especially since your already off on it.

To the point, most likely. I think I heard some people did what you propose on beta 3-5 or 4-6. I'd do it as soon as get back though, set a reminder, to make sure your current load doesn't expire.

----------

I've still got a couple apps that aren't working, although I'm sure one is due to a needed update from the developer.

Since Beta 1, Checkbook crashes any time I attempt to open an account. Also, new with this beta, the app badge indicating tasks due today in the Todo app are no longer showing up.

The OS may be ready for prime time but 3rd party application functionality is really no indication. This just shows the developers need to issue updates.
In many cases, the Developers can't release based on iOS5 code.

Yes some can and have tweaked old iOS4 era code to fix quirks. But for the most part, Devs are likely exploring potential with the new iOS5 features and those can't be launched on the AppStore until it leaves beta and Apple allows it.

Those apps may be sitting on Dev machines ready to push out as soon as Apple lifts the flood gates.

Deep_Thought

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Is anyone having issues with email notifications on the lock screen - they worked fine in b5 but in both b6 and b7 they aren't...

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I'm personally looking forward to and hoping a number of my iphone apps get ipad native/universal status upgrades on iOS5 release date.

And tons of new features across third party apps with iCloud features, Widgets, etc.

----------

Is anyone having issues with email notifications on the lock screen - they worked fine in b5 but in both b6 and b7 they aren't...
No issues, floods of email and beejive push notifications coming through all day today.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area

Beta 7 had specific instruction for those that had skipped betas so if it were going to be a problem I think Apple would tell you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.