Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

eddy_cue_headshot.jpg
Just yesterday, we noted that Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president for Internet services, had been responding to customer emails redirected to him via Tim Cook. 9 to 5 Mac now notes that Cue has been officially promoted to a senior vice president position, reporting directly to Cook.

Cue has already received his own page on Apple's list of senior executives, which now includes nine senior vice presidents under Cook. From an internal Apple email sent by Tim Cook:
Team,

It is my pleasure to announce the promotion of Eddy Cue to Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services. Eddy will report to me and will serve on Apple's executive management team.

Eddy oversees Apple's industry-leading content stores including the iTunes Store, the revolutionary App Store and the iBookstore, as well as iAd and Apple's innovative iCloud services. He is a 22-year Apple veteran and leads a large organization of amazing people. He played a major role in creating the Apple online store in 1998, the iTunes Music Store in 2003 and the App Store in 2008.

Apple is a company and culture unlike any other in the world and leaders like Eddy get that. Apple is in their blood. Eddy and the entire executive management team are dedicated to making the best products in the world that delight our customers and make our employees incredibly proud of what they do.

Please join me in congratulating Eddy on this significant and well-deserved promotion. I have worked with Eddy for many years and look forward to working with him even closer in the future.

Tim
In addition to overseeing the iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and iCloud, Cue will also take over leadership of the iAd mobile advertising group at Apple. iAd had been led by Quattro Wireless founder Andy Miller, who came to the company with Apple's acquisition of Quattro last year. It was revealed several weeks ago that Miller is leaving Apple to take a position with a venture capital firm.

Cue's promotion may be the first move in a reshuffling of Apple's leadership following Tim Cook's ascension to the CEO position. There has been speculation about what Apple might do to fill the currently-vacant Chief Operating Officer position previously held by Cook, and Ron Johnson's position as senior vice president for retail will soon be vacant as he leaves to take the CEO position at department store chain J.C. Penney.

Article Link: Apple's Eddy Cue Promoted to Senior Vice President for Internet Software and Services

Last edited by a moderator:

noahhendrix

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2008
Doesn't seem that interesting that he is "placed directly next to CEO Tim Cook" when the list is in alphabetical order by last name.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Following the HP Pre scuttlebutt, Ron Johnson may consider wandering back to the Apple fold, if there's still a place for him. (Imagine if *he* was the ascending CEO.)

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Following the HP Pre scuttlebutt, Ron Johnson may consider wandering back to the Apple fold, if there's still a place for him. (Imagine if *he* was the ascending CEO.)

Why would Ron give up CEO of JCPenny?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
It might also be a recognition that 'internet services' have become with iCloud (and will become even more) a rather important part of Apple's product experience.
But then you might wonder how much of iCloud belongs to iOS and how much of it is a 'standalone' product. Wireless (WiFi) synching and setup of iOS devices is sold under the iCloud label but actually is mainly about iOS. Hopefully Eddy Cue and Scott Forstall don't feel like stepping on each other's toes here.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
So now there's a Senior Vice President for 'Internet Software' and 'iOS Software' but no one for OS X or other applications?!

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I still want to know why there is no Mac OS Software Vice President and iOS hardware Vice President. There is Mac Hardware, and iOS software.

----------

i wonder if he has a daughter named barbie.

hahaha.

For the true Apple Fan, her name should be "i". So her name could be iCue :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I still want to know why there is no Mac OS Software Vice President and iOS hardware Vice President. There is Mac Hardware, and iOS software.

Maybe they plan on merging them or putting the next version of OS X under Forstall again (he did Leopard). Gruber alluded in some recent posts that the SVP of Mac hardware actually managed the team that did the iPad and some of the latest iPhone hardware.

If they're not going to promote anybody, makes sense to just make Forstall SVP of Software (like Bertrand) and Mansfeld SVP of Hardware.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original articel
if this guy is not a millionaire already
he is one now
must be nice being part of aapl vp level exec

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
re original articel
if this guy is not a millionaire already
he is one now
must be nice being part of aapl vp level exec

I'm sure he already was. It's nice to see people that have done good things for Apple being promoted. I don't know how this could possibly be viewed negatively.

Neuroguy

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2006
Iowa City, IA
Congrats Eddy!

Happy Eddy received a promotion - now maybe he can afford a haircut that doesn't come with a free bowl of soup.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know I'm an ass.

FaderX

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
rotate

I think they should rotate the image, like the rest... He kinda stands out :cool:

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
With all that extra money he'll be making now, it's a shame he's only got one arm to spend it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.