Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Eddy Cue Promoted to Senior Vice President for Internet Software and Services

Just yesterday, we noted that Eddy Cue, Apple's vice president for Internet services, had been responding to customer emails redirected to him via Tim Cook. 9 to 5 Mac now notes that Cue has been officially promoted to a senior vice president position, reporting directly to Cook.

Cue has already received his own page on Apple's list of senior executives, which now includes nine senior vice presidents under Cook. From an internal Apple email sent by Tim Cook:
Quote:
Team,

It is my pleasure to announce the promotion of Eddy Cue to Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services. Eddy will report to me and will serve on Apple's executive management team.

Eddy oversees Apple's industry-leading content stores including the iTunes Store, the revolutionary App Store and the iBookstore, as well as iAd and Apple's innovative iCloud services. He is a 22-year Apple veteran and leads a large organization of amazing people. He played a major role in creating the Apple online store in 1998, the iTunes Music Store in 2003 and the App Store in 2008.

Apple is a company and culture unlike any other in the world and leaders like Eddy get that. Apple is in their blood. Eddy and the entire executive management team are dedicated to making the best products in the world that delight our customers and make our employees incredibly proud of what they do.

Please join me in congratulating Eddy on this significant and well-deserved promotion. I have worked with Eddy for many years and look forward to working with him even closer in the future.

Tim
In addition to overseeing the iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and iCloud, Cue will also take over leadership of the iAd mobile advertising group at Apple. iAd had been led by Quattro Wireless founder Andy Miller, who came to the company with Apple's acquisition of Quattro last year. It was revealed several weeks ago that Miller is leaving Apple to take a position with a venture capital firm.

Cue's promotion may be the first move in a reshuffling of Apple's leadership following Tim Cook's ascension to the CEO position. There has been speculation about what Apple might do to fill the currently-vacant Chief Operating Officer position previously held by Cook, and Ron Johnson's position as senior vice president for retail will soon be vacant as he leaves to take the CEO position at department store chain J.C. Penney.

Article Link: Apple's Eddy Cue Promoted to Senior Vice President for Internet Software and Services

Last edited by WildCowboy; Sep 1, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:36 AM   #2
troop231
macrumors 601

Congrats Eddy!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:39 AM   #3
noahhendrix
macrumors newbie

Doesn't seem that interesting that he is "placed directly next to CEO Tim Cook" when the list is in alphabetical order by last name.
noahhendrix is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Following the HP Pre scuttlebutt, Ron Johnson may consider wandering back to the Apple fold, if there's still a place for him. (Imagine if *he* was the ascending CEO.)
Kwill is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:44 AM   #5
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhendrix View Post
Doesn't seem that interesting that he is "placed directly next to CEO Tim Cook" when the list is in alphabetical order by last name.
Thanks...fixed.
WildCowboy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:46 AM   #6
JMP
macrumors member

Who the hell gives a Sh.. !!!?
Good for him.
JMP is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

With this promotion he should consult with a hairstylist.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:51 AM   #8
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
Following the HP Pre scuttlebutt, Ron Johnson may consider wandering back to the Apple fold, if there's still a place for him. (Imagine if *he* was the ascending CEO.)
Why would Ron give up CEO of JCPenny?
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 09:53 AM   #9
manu chao
macrumors 68020

It might also be a recognition that 'internet services' have become with iCloud (and will become even more) a rather important part of Apple's product experience.
But then you might wonder how much of iCloud belongs to iOS and how much of it is a 'standalone' product. Wireless (WiFi) synching and setup of iOS devices is sold under the iCloud label but actually is mainly about iOS. Hopefully Eddy Cue and Scott Forstall don't feel like stepping on each other's toes here.
manu chao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:12 AM   #10
machpost
macrumors regular

I wonder if he has a daughter named Barbie.
machpost is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:15 AM   #11
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

good for him

more rumors about iphone please haha
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:16 AM   #12
tkermit
macrumors 68020

So now there's a Senior Vice President for 'Internet Software' and 'iOS Software' but no one for OS X or other applications?!
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:20 AM   #13
bommai
macrumors 6502

I still want to know why there is no Mac OS Software Vice President and iOS hardware Vice President. There is Mac Hardware, and iOS software.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost View Post
i wonder if he has a daughter named barbie.
hahaha.

For the true Apple Fan, her name should be "i". So her name could be iCue
bommai is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:22 AM   #14
iMacC2D
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkermit View Post
So now there's a Senior Vice President for 'Internet Software' and 'iOS Software' but no one for OS X or other applications?!
I believe Craig Federighi is the SVP of Mac Software Engineering (having replaced Bertrand Serlet). He's just not on that list for some reason.
iMacC2D is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:26 AM   #15
tkermit
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMacC2D View Post
I believe Craig Federighi is the SVP of Mac Software Engineering (having replaced Bertrand Serlet). He's just not on that list for some reason.
I think he's "just" a VP, but fair enough.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:28 AM   #16
jaw04005
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post
I still want to know why there is no Mac OS Software Vice President and iOS hardware Vice President. There is Mac Hardware, and iOS software.
Maybe they plan on merging them or putting the next version of OS X under Forstall again (he did Leopard). Gruber alluded in some recent posts that the SVP of Mac hardware actually managed the team that did the iPad and some of the latest iPhone hardware.

If they're not going to promote anybody, makes sense to just make Forstall SVP of Software (like Bertrand) and Mansfeld SVP of Hardware.
jaw04005 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:35 AM   #17
iMacC2D
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkermit View Post
I think he's "just" a VP, but fair enough.
Looks to be right, some sites seem to suggest he's an SVP but I can't see that being the case (the chart says it all). Probably the closest Apple has to filling the role of Mac Software anyway.
iMacC2D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:38 AM   #18
nylonsteel
macrumors 6502a

re original articel
if this guy is not a millionaire already
he is one now
must be nice being part of aapl vp level exec
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:41 AM   #19
hobo.hopkins
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonsteel View Post
re original articel
if this guy is not a millionaire already
he is one now
must be nice being part of aapl vp level exec
I'm sure he already was. It's nice to see people that have done good things for Apple being promoted. I don't know how this could possibly be viewed negatively.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 10:46 AM   #20
Neuroguy
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to Neuroguy
Congrats Eddy!

Happy Eddy received a promotion - now maybe he can afford a haircut that doesn't come with a free bowl of soup.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I know I'm an ass.
- Other monitors and peripherals
Neuroguy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:24 AM   #21
FaderX
macrumors newbie

rotate

I think they should rotate the image, like the rest... He kinda stands out
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:25 AM   #22
txr0ckabilly
macrumors 6502

good job Eddy!

on another note- why is Ive the only one not smiling? It seems to me, he has the best job at apple...
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:29 AM   #23
Arcus
macrumors 6502a

Either that is the worst toupee i have seen of this guy really needs to spend that cash on a haircut...or...something.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 11:36 AM   #24
FaderX
macrumors newbie

rotate 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaderX View Post
I think they should rotate the image, like the rest... He kinda stands out

see?
Old Sep 1, 2011, 01:00 PM   #25
BrentD
macrumors member

With all that extra money he'll be making now, it's a shame he's only got one arm to spend it...
BrentD is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion