Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Studio Back on Sale

Apple has put the previous version of its Final Cut Studio video editing suite back on sale after a mixed reception to the new and completely redesigned Final Cut X. We received word that Apple had issued a memo this afternoon announcing re-availability of the product.

We confirmed with an Apple telesales representative at 800-MY-APPLE that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for $999, and $899 for educational customers. The product is only available through the 800-number and is not available in Apple Retail Stores or on the Apple Online Store.

Final Cut Studio is a comprehensive video editing package that includes Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 4, Soundtrack Pro 3, DVD Studio Pro 4, Color 1.5 and Compressor 3.5.

Article Link: Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Pro Studio Back on Sale
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Yumunum
macrumors 65816

This is both good and sad... I mean, are they just gonna leave Final Cut Pro X as it is? If so, what will the next version of Final Cut Pro be like?
Yumunum is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Seo
macrumors regular

I believe this is how it should've been at launch. Introduce FCP X as replacement for Express, and keep FCP7 until they introduce all the features industry professionals actually need in FCP X. Would've avoided a lot of complaining.
Seo is offline   45 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:47 PM   #4
bigtriece
macrumors newbie

They are dropping Logic as well

Well this does not surprise me given the negative feedback of Final Cut X.

Things do not look good for pro users given that Logic is likely to get dropped and replaced by Garageband Pro next year, it seems Apple are getting to complacent and negating the pro users.
bigtriece is offline   -20 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:48 PM   #5
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seo View Post
I believe this is how it should've been at launch. Introduce FCP X as replacement for Express, and keep FCP7 until they introduce all the features industry professionals actually need in FCP X. Would've avoided a lot of complaining.
Yes. Apple made a mistake and has fixed it. Now there can be a smoother transition to a more complete FCP X product, which will eventually be the standard.

There should be no more need for comments after yours, but I'm sure this is going to just tailspin into another exhausting round of FCP X ********.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:48 PM   #6
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Good. It's nice to see Apple caving... could this be Tim's first real decision? Good show.

Final Cut X-press is just like QuickTime X-press... all the features that actually make it good were left on the cutting room floor, pun intended.

Bryan
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:48 PM   #7
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seo View Post
I agree 100%, but I am curious to read the "fanboy" take on this news.
mrgraff is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:50 PM   #8
darbus69
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I really dislike iMovie, since leaving the video field I've been forced to use iMovie; how restrictive and unintuitive-how about a rerelease of fcpExpress? And, although Iam not a software thief, I wish I had burned a copy of the one I sold with my MBP!
darbus69 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:54 PM   #9
AppleScruff1
macrumors 603

Is this being innovative and magical?
AppleScruff1 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Mr-Stabby
macrumors 6502

They've promised 'regular' updates for Final Cut Pro X. 2 and a half months after release, and not a single update. Not really regular is it?
Mr-Stabby is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Piggie
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
Good. It's nice to see Apple caving... could this be Tim's first real decision? Good show.

Final Cut X-press is just like QuickTime X-press... all the features that actually make it good were left on the cutting room floor, pun intended.

Bryan
Indeed, perhaps this is the very 1st sign of a certain persons stubbornness being changed into a very refreshing new era of actually listening to customers as opposed to telling them what they should do.

Hope to see more like this. Good times ahead I hope
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:54 PM   #12
Jolly Jimmy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtriece View Post
Well this does not surprise me given the negative feedback of Final Cut X.

Things do not look good for pro users given that Logic is likely to get dropped and replaced by Garageband Pro next year, it seems Apple are getting to complacent and negating the pro users.
"Likely"? According to who?

--

I really hope to see more of this back-pedalling from Apple to be honest, I still haven't got over the base-10 thing .
Jolly Jimmy is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Back Treading

Figured as much.

I had a feeling that this kinda stuff may happen. I don't know if it's since Steve left, but I hope that we see more of it.

Like, let's say, a certain 1U server model being brought back from the dead.

Last edited by Digital Skunk; Sep 1, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Digital Skunk is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:56 PM   #14
MovieCutter
Banned

Great, can I get Final Cut 8 now? With multicore support, searchable browser, and some of the few usable features of Final Cut "Pro" X?
MovieCutter is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:57 PM   #15
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

Now that Steve Jobs isn't CEO, every time Apple makes a decision that appears to change the previous course, you always wonder if it's something that's different than what Steve would have done.

In any case, it's good that Apple is responding to complaints by making Final Cut Studio available again. Now if only FCPX will quickly see those promised updates adding back some features.
commander.data is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:58 PM   #16
showgram
macrumors newbie

Where do I buy?

So where can I upgrade my FCP 6 to FCP 7?

There is no link!
showgram is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:00 PM   #17
acslater017
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggie View Post
Indeed, perhaps this is the very 1st sign of a certain persons stubbornness being changed into a very refreshing new era of actually listening to customers as opposed to telling them what they should do.

Hope to see more like this. Good times ahead I hope
Yes, I'm wondering the same thing. Apple is hardly transparent as an organization. Who knows who influenced what decision?

I think Apple can move in the direction of transparency/responsiveness without sacrificing product quality or surprise at new products. It's not like saying, "You know, you're right! Let's put FC7 back on the shelves and get to work fixing these flaws!" ruins the iPad 3 launch or anything
acslater017 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:00 PM   #18
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieCutter View Post
Great, can I get Final Cut 8 now? With multicore support, searchable browser, and some of the few usable features of Final Cut "Pro" X?
Right, updated the way it needed to be.

Don't forget the ability to open the previous versions
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:02 PM   #19
jb1280
macrumors 6502a

One should be wary of correlation and causation...
jb1280 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:02 PM   #20
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

So does this mean that possible future versions of OSX will also be shipped with a DVD version? Apple has seemed to change some of their stances regarding software, so I really hope this can be a reality.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:03 PM   #21
4God
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by showgram View Post
So where can I upgrade my FCP 6 to FCP 7?

There is no link!
See below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
We confirmed with an Apple telesales representative at 800-MY-APPLE that Final Cut Studio, part number MB642Z/A, is again available for $999, and $899 for educational customers. The product is only available through the 800-number and is not available in Apple Retail Stores or on the Apple Online Store.
4God is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:03 PM   #22
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Good! Too little too late for many, but I have noticed. If Apple continues like this, there's a chance I might make the switch to OS X... again.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:07 PM   #23
raymentj
macrumors newbie

Head in the clouds

Sometimes even giants here the little people if they yell loud and long enough...
raymentj is offline   -7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:10 PM   #24
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

I agree that this is how it should have been at launch since there's some important drivers and such missing for older work flows, but I do believe that FCPX will be the way everybody goes eventually once traditional transfers and tape rooms have been phased out. Make no mistake people FCPX IS a professional program it was just aimed at a different professional with a 100% digital work flow. After working with a post company I can understand how difficult it would be to make that switch. It would be like discontinuing a CD drive right after the first USB thumb drive has been introduced. That's the way everybody is going eventually, but we're still stuck on discs!!
kevinfulton.ca is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 06:12 PM   #25
the vj
Banned

This is good and bad.

Good because Apple is realizing the crap FCPX is.

Bad because we still having the old version of FCP studio with out any update.

Apple better do something with the studio and leave the karma FCPX became for... I do not know who.
the vj is offline   -2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion