Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joesvisuals.com

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2011
What about those running lion?

So, I formatted one of our Macs with a Lion USB stick and then installed the OS after. I tried to install my FCP6 on this machine, and was unable to - it says it will not run on Lion. Obviously, there is no upgrade without downgrading to iMovieX... so...

If I buy the FCS3 from 1800-My-Apple, will THAT install on my Lion based machine?

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
FCPX is awesome.

In the same way that raw oysters are awesome or authentic Scottish haggis is awesome. Awesome is subjective as it seems that for many people FCPX is far from awesome.

----------

So, I formatted one of our Macs with a Lion USB stick and then installed the OS after. I tried to install my FCP6 on this machine, and was unable to - it says it will not run on Lion. Obviously, there is no upgrade without downgrading to iMovieX... so...

If I buy the FCS3 from 1800-My-Apple, will THAT install on my Lion based machine?

From everything I've read FCS3 should run fine on Lion, though there may be compatibility issues with any third party gear you are currently using. Honestly I would not be taking a mission critical editing rig to Lion at this moment, too risky. Snow Leopard (at least to 10.6.7) is a solid experience.

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
Right, that was my point. Maybe they should re-examine the way they edit (ie, with others).

That's patently absurd. Are you trying to imply that collaboration is a bad thing and that we should accept an isolated editing environment because Apple 'said so?' The fact is that if you're in an edit house with other people (like where I'm typing this from), opening others' projects and sharing media is a fact of life. FCPX fails miserably at this, which is not to say that it's not a good piece of software, it's just incredibly ill-suited for a professional post house.

If you were trolling, well done, but man, what a ridiculous thing to say.

Aiwaz418

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Burbank, CA
Right, that was my point. Maybe they should re-examine the way they edit (ie, with others).
The world of professional film and television production simply does not work that way, will never work that way, and SHOULD never work that way - it's a collaborative effort.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Anyway, "thinking different" would be not to resurrect a single entry-level 1U server - it would be to partner with a tier 1 vendor like HP and with VMware to support OSX virtualized under ESX on a select range of ProLiant servers.

Want a nice 1U, get a DL360. Want an 80 core, 2 TiB RAM model, get a DL980.

How is that "thinking different"? HP wants to get out of that business. (And become another SAP.)

ETA: Microsoft's business model is great... ...for Microsoft. It wouldn't be great for Apple. Not then, not now, probably not ever.

maybe we'll finally see bluray drives on macs.
Not as long as Sony and the movie studios insist on injecting the Blu-ray DRM-du-jour into OSX. Not gonna happen...

Last edited:

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
A perfect example is just two posts above you. A guy saying final cut X will 'eventually become the standard' in video editing.

Quite the opposite, it has already become 'irrelevant' in the world of video editing.

The world of video editing is bigger and more diverse than you think.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I finally understand Final Cut Pro users' pain. Many years ago I did very simple video edits, and it all worked very easily and intuitively. Just a couple of days ago I needed to again do some very simple video edits on a new project. So I fired up iMovie 8 (that came included with my mbp) - and it was a massively frustrating and unintuitive experience. It was SO un-apple like, so unintuitive, so rage-inducing. If the same type of garbage was foisted upon professionals who use this software as their main tool for their job, I can only imagine how nightmarish it must've been for them.

Video pros have my sympathies, and shame on Apple for treating their users so poorly by not even keeping the legacy version available. I hope re-releasing the classic version again was a Tim Cook decision, because that would bode well for the future.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
So Professional Users who are using Final Cut Studio already need to buy it so they can use?

Don't get how a new product affects your ability to use the one you already have.....

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2007
So Professional Users who are using Final Cut Studio already need to buy it so they can use?

Don't get how a new product affects your ability to use the one you already have.....

The world of digital video evolves at a fast pace -- so we need native DSLR support, 64 bit render and multiple core support and the ability to address more than 3GB RAM.

Final Cut Pro 7 has not evolved to handle these issues and therefore is no longer usable for many situations. So to clarify, FCP 7 is out of date and won't work in many situations.

Final Cut Pro X is missing too many features for many of us. You've seen the list I hope.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
The world of digital video evolves at a fast pace -- so we need native DSLR support, 64 bit render and multiple core support and the ability to address more than 3GB RAM.

Final Cut Pro 7 has not evolved to handle these issues and therefore is no longer usable for many situations. So to clarify, FCP 7 is out of date and won't work in many situations.

Final Cut Pro X is missing too many features for many of us. You've seen the list I hope.

I understand that, but the old version is working fine for your production in the mean time. I don;t get the outrage. It's very simple

Apple, we cannot use FCPX until X, Y and Z are added. When you add those we will move over to the new system.....

Until then, work with what has worked for you.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003

Because when video businesses expand to add more machines to their studio, they need to buy new additional copies of that software to install in their new machines. And video editors have invested enormous amounts of time and energy into learning and becoming experts in specific pieces of software. So as new video technologies develop they have to be able to use and offer those new technologies in order to stay competitive with other video businesses, so they will be unable to use the old version of the software anymore.

relbbircs

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2007
A conspiracy?

My 2 cents: this is all supposed to make Tim look good. Steve realized right away the whole FCP X thing was a disaster but instead of fixing it himself wisely waited to let Tim fix it and take credit.

Looking ahead, where's the Soundtrack Pro addition to FCP X???

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
This only makes sense. And why not keep some easy money rolling in?

Discontinuing the suite was just a stupid idea. There needs to be an overlap so people can still make money as FCP X continues to mature.

Man I cringe everytime someone posts that professionals need to accept a new workflow. The ignorance of such as comment is astounding. I learned FCP X over a weekend and can assure you I need FCP 7 to do real work. I love learning new things and am excited to see what Apple does with X, but anyone who thinks it can replace FCP is just daft.

Actually, it seems to me now (that I've used it) that X is targeted more at photographers making the crossover to video.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
I understand that, but the old version is working fine for your production in the mean time. I don;t get the outrage.

One of the issues was that when Apple discontinued FCPS, production houses couldn't buy new licenses for new employees or upgrade from older copies. Since FCPX isn't up to snuff for their needs, they had to start looking at other options. This re-release is likely in response to this group specifically.

No one should take this as a sign that Apple is going to do further development on the older FCPS. FCPX is Apple's future.

kenliles

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2010
The uselessness of FCPX had little to do with a tapeless workflow. It had more to do with it being designed for the one man show (a guy who shoots, edits, mixes audio, composits and does graphics all by himself). When you have teams of people working on projects, FCPX is useless. So you can be a ONE MAN SHOW professional but the typical Professional Production HOUSE can't use it. The flaw of FCPX has made the Professional Production HOUSE look seriously away from FCP regardless.

I agree with this assessment Being a one- man band, I have really preferred X over FCP. I hope they continue with both or figure out some other way to combine them to the satisfaction of both groups of producers

dkouts

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
One thing I don't get is why put it back for sale?
Existing FCP studios already have it and its not like they've put out an upgrade.

Who would invest in a copy of FCP7 now?
What future is there in 7?

Rustus Maximus

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2003
Actually, yes. A corporation as large as Apple correcting a mistaken early launch instead of trying to "marketeer" their way around it...

They already "marketeered" their way into the mess to begin with by trying to strong-arm everyone into using FCPX by ordering vendors to remove FCS3 from shelves and send it back.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
One thing I don't get is why put it back for sale?
Existing FCP studios already have it and its not like they've put out an upgrade.

Who would invest in a copy of FCP7 now?
What future is there in 7?

Read the thread. Video houses add machines and employees and need additional legal licenses. It doesn't matter if there is no future in 7. $1000 for a professional even to use for another year is worth it.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011

It doesn't mean you can't use the license you already have.

But if you are using FCS and need to add an additional workstation in an environment that will enable you to have multiple editors working simultaneously on a project you need an additional FCS3 license.

This is one of the biggest problems with FCPX. There are many companies from smaller boutique edit suites to very large corporations, and universities, trade schools, TV stations etc, that have invested heavily into Final Cut Studio workstations, Final Cut Server, shared storage systems etc, that share media libraries, video, audio, music, graphics, and need to have the workstations networked and need to be able to work together.

Now that FCPX has eliminated that capability Apple has effectively destroyed that investment, by saying you can no longer expand your business using Apple FCPX software.

----------

Man I cringe everytime someone posts that professionals need to accept a new workflow. The ignorance of such as comment is astounding. I learned FCP X over a weekend and can assure you I need FCP 7 to do real work. I love learning new things and am excited to see what Apple does with X, but anyone who thinks it can replace FCP is just daft..

thank you...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.