Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

conald

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2011
I just fixed my old 30GB iPod (the hard drive had come loose, not a major repair). When I connected it to my mac iTunes said that it only had a 16.18GB capacity.
I figured that this might have been a problem from years of not being used or from opening it up so I did a restore, but it still says it only has half the capacity for memory. Does anyone know what might cause this/how to fix it? I've seen a couple other people posting complaints like this on other forums, but I haven't seen any answers.

craigsharp

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2008
Oklahoma
I just fixed my old 30GB iPod (the hard drive had come loose, not a major repair). When I connected it to my mac iTunes said that it only had a 16.18GB capacity.
I figured that this might have been a problem from years of not being used or from opening it up so I did a restore, but it still says it only has half the capacity for memory. Does anyone know what might cause this/how to fix it? I've seen a couple other people posting complaints like this on other forums, but I haven't seen any answers.

I remember years past, you could enable the older iPods to be used like an external hard drive through itunes. I don't know if that is possible anymore but may be worth a look to see if it is enabled. If that's not the case then you could attempt to do a full erase using disk utility. IDK other than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.