Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So why didn't Google invent the touch interface?
They could have used a Stylus?

There would not be any problem if Googles Android prototypes had a touch interface. But they didn't. They where RIM clones.
First after iPhone release, Google started to clone the iPhone.

Google could have invented something own. Like WebOS.
Instead Google opted to buy a product that now is the worlds most expensive "free" operating system.

Every single Android device: 5-15 dollar licensing fee to MSFT. Billions to MSFT in pure profit each year.

Google desperately bought Motorola for over 12 billion just to try to find some patents to swap with Apple.

I assume you believe that Apple is the one who invented touch interface. APple fans are so naive :D

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Did it have push notifications?

What does push notifications have to do with the notification system of Android?

When people refer to iOS's notification system, they are referring to the drop down notification bar available since Android 1.0 was launched on the G1.
statusnotes-screenshot.jpg

Which Cydia modification added the drop down notification bar to iPhone OS prior to the G1's release in 2008?

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia
Stories like this one make Apple look desperate. Android is growing fast. Apple can not, or choose not to, compete with Android on price in the free market. That is fine. It seems to be me that the Apple think that the only way to fight Android is via legal action as nothing else will work.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Why can't Apple see that the more they push and push against these products, the worse they will look as a company to many of the public.

The fanboys will jump with glee, but no one likes a bully and the general public will only start to get a more and more negative view towards the ever more powerful Apple trying to stop the public being able to have a range of devices to pick from in the stores.

I wonder how much negative feeling they will eventually gather before it dawns on them perhaps there is a time to give it a rest and get on making better products to keep people buying their items as opposed to trying to block others.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
Apple can not have a patent on someones "Inspiration"

Apple is full of BS and this weakens them in the eyes of the public.

Apple is doomed without Steve Jobs anyway.

Soon this site will be called ...."Mac Memories" because a lot of people are selling stock, jumping ship, and overall just getting tired of this anti-competitive crap.

----------

So why didn't Google invent the touch interface?
They could have used a Stylus?

There would not be any problem if Googles Android prototypes had a touch interface. But they didn't. They where RIM clones.
First after iPhone release, Google started to clone the iPhone.

Google could have invented something own. Like WebOS.
Instead Google opted to buy a product that now is the worlds most expensive "free" operating system.

Every single Android device: 5-15 dollar licensing fee to MSFT. Billions to MSFT in pure profit each year.

Google desperately bought Motorola for over 12 billion just to try to find some patents to swap with Apple.

Microsoft gets the credit for the touch interface innovation bud.
Not Apple.
They refined capacitive UI's ....that's all

AppleFan1984

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2010
I find it interesting that Google is being pursued legally in one way or another by a number of parties (MS, Oracle, etc) - in some cases successfully, yet they haven't really pursued anyone else in turn or made any assertions against other entities.
Some focus on innovation, others on litigation....

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
I assume you believe that Apple is the one who invented touch interface. APple fans are so naive :D

I am not an Apple fan.

We can discuss "what is a touch" interface.
The fact is that Apple have loads of patent in the touch area. Multitouch, swipe and other gestures.
Apple also had the first product that had a precise touch screen that allowed users to use their fingers.

Don't forget that Apple invented the PDA. This is the base for the iPhone project.
Apple started around 2001-2002 with their tablet project. The tablet was no-go and they used this core to make the iPhone.

Where are all touch interface devices that existed before iPhone? Especially phones and internet devices? Just link to a couple of devices. (and not the PRADA or some nonsense like that)

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Apple can not have a patent on someones "Inspiration"

Apple is full of BS and this weakens them in the eyes of the public.

Apple is doomed without Steve Jobs anyway.

Soon this site will be called ...."Mac Memories" because a lot of people are selling stock, jumping ship, and overall just getting tired of this anti-competitive crap.

----------

Microsoft gets the credit for the touch interface innovation bud.
Not Apple.
They refined capacitive UI's ....that's all
Wow. You seem to have a selective memory. MSFT experimented with multi-touch using cameras and projectors, not capacitive screens. MSFT Surface was originally done using projectors and cameras to capture gestures and devices on the table.

Apple bought fingerworks which did the original research on multitouch using capacitive screens. Go look it up.'

Also, this is not the first time a former employee was "inspired" by work at Apple. The main guy behind Kalidescope theming engine (Arlo Rose) originally worked on the theme engine in the cancelled Copland project and he also worked on Project pink/Talligent on widgets on the desktop for Apple and then developed a widget system called Konfabulator. He later accused Apple of copying him when then released Dashboard.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Apple also had the first product that had a precise touch screen that allowed users to use their fingers.

Just link to a couple of devices. (and not the PRADA or some nonsense like that)

And the Prada is nonsense because...

Ah, because is not Apple and it was released before the iPhone.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Even if Google had patented it, they wouldn't sue Apple because they like to play nice. Not that Apple shouldn't sue Google, but I wish more companies were like Google in the legal world.

Google plays nice because Google's mobile patent portfolio is a complete pile of *******. They play nicely and try to act as if they are the nice guys in the picture because their gun has no bullets in it!

If I went into a fight holding a revolver with one bullet against a guy with a machine gun, I wouldn't be pointing it at the guy holding the machine gun either.

dukeblue91

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Apple hired developers of WebOS's notification center and a notification center available on Cydia, and yet people still want to go with the story that Apple copied Android. :confused: I guess that makes for the best FUD.

Wow this is the first time I have ever agreed with a Tar Heel :D
I'm putting this on my calendar.

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
I am not an Apple fan.

The fact is that Apple have loads of patent in the touch area. Multitouch, swipe and other gestures.

Don't forget that Apple invented the PDA. This is the base for the iPhone project.
Apple started around 2001-2002 with their tablet project. The tablet was no-go and they used this core to make the iPhone.

Where are all touch interface devices that existed before iPhone? Especially phones and internet devices? Just link to a couple of devices. (and not the PRADA or some nonsense like that)

facepalm_medium.jpg

"Pocket PC 2002, originally codenamed "Merlin",[13] was released in October 2001"

Windows Mobile

Microsoft invented the Modern touch interface UI

Apple only refined the resistive UI

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Apple hired developers of WebOS's notification center and a notification center available on Cydia, and yet people still want to go with the story that Apple copied Android. :confused: I guess that makes for the best FUD.

Yap, is the same FUD that saying that Android notifications copied the Cydia ones.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Why can't Apple see that the more they push and push against these products, the worse they will look as a company to many of the public.

The fanboys will jump with glee, but no one likes a bully and the general public will only start to get a more and more negative view towards the ever more powerful Apple trying to stop the public being able to have a range of devices to pick from in the stores.

I wonder how much negative feeling they will eventually gather before it dawns on them perhaps there is a time to give it a rest and get on making better products to keep people buying their items as opposed to trying to block others.

Maybe because they don't give a ******* what people think about their legal practices? They are doing what is in the best interest of them and their stockholders, and considering they are seesawing with Exxon Mobil as the most valuable company in the world. So I would say they are doing something right.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I am not an Apple fan.

PRADA is of course the first phone with capacitive screen. It's not a nonsense. It's a real product. iPhone just happened to be one of the first phones/devices that used capacitive screen. Neither the capacitive screen nor the multi-touch interface were invented by APple. They were just one of the first to use them when appropriate technology was developed (not by Apple). And as the Apple lawsuit against Samsung in Netherlands shows, those bogus Apple touch patents get easily invalidated by courts (in this case, slide to unlock patent)

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Some focus on innovation, others on litigation....

Or both. It's a well-known tactic that Microsoft (and maybe others) practiced to perfection. You try to out-innovate the competition, but just in case that doesn't work you also litigate them at every opportunity. And if neither of those strategies look promising, where possible you buy them out and bury their technology in a deep hole. It makes sense for the giant company's stockholders but it's unfortunate for the progress of technology. That's why I always had to laugh at Microsoft's claim that they should get special treatment because they contributed more to technological growth than anybody else in the past quarter century, when in fact the reverse was true.

Zaim2

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
Here's the history of multitouch for those who are interested: http://www.billbuxton.com/multitouchOverview.html

1983: Video Place / Video Desk (Myron Krueger)
  • A vision based system that tracked the hands and enabled multiple fingers, hands, and people to interact using a rich set of gestures.
    Implemented in a number of configurations, including table and wall.
  • Didn’t sense touch, per se, so largely relied on dwell time to trigger events intended by the pose.
  • On the other hand, in the horizontal desktop configuration, it inherently was touch based, from the user's perspective.
  • Essentially “wrote the book” in terms of unencumbered (i.e., no gloves, mice, styli, etc.) rich gestural interaction.
  • Work that was more than a decade ahead of its time and hugely influential, yet not as acknowledged as it should be.
  • His use of many of the hand gestures that are now starting to emerge can be clearly seen in the following 1988 video, including using the pinch gesture to scale and translate objects: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dmmxVA5xhuo
    There are many other videos that demonstrate this system. Anyone in the field should view them, as well as read his books:
    Krueger, Myron, W. (1983). Artificial Reality. Reading, MA:Addison-Wesley.
    Krueger, Myron, W. (1991). Artificial Reality II. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
    Krueger, Myron, W., Gionfriddo, Thomas., &Hinrichsen, Katrin (1985). VIDEOPLACE - An Artificial Reality, Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’85), 35 - 40.

Lots of "inspiration" going on, yet its for the common good that it did. The current "holy patent war" is inherently flawed.

Last edited:

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
G1 T-Mobile phone had those notifications on launch in Q4 2.008

Ok.
I think we are talking about 2 different things.

I mean: push email, contacts, calendar and push messages from programs. For example: New CNN headline news.

Google have had push since T1 for email, contacts, calendar. But not for apps.

There is a difference between push and push notifications.

Push notifications for apps was introduced Android 2.2
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/android-2-2-froyo-officially-announced/

Push notifications for mail was introduced 2010 aug 24
http://www.crn.com/news/networking/...;jsessionid=7jaZJxqTvQvX3wmIWQ23TA**.ecappj02

So. Google did not have real push notifications, witch is a part of messaging center.

-
I now leave this discussion since it is no idea to discuss religious stuff. I don't care for Apple/Google/or any other company. I have a science degree in computing and worked as an IT consultant since 1997. Am computer agnostic and deal with facts. The Apple Vs Google war is totally uninteresting. Just the facts is interesting.

Last edited:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Ok.

I mean: push email, contacts, calendar and push messages from programs. For example: New CNN headline news.

Google have had push since T1 for email, contacts, calendar. But not for apps.

There is a difference between push and push notifications.

Push notifications for apps was introduced Android 2.2
http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/android-2-2-froyo-officially-announced/

Push notifications for mail was introduced 2010 aug 24
http://www.crn.com/news/networking/...;jsessionid=7jaZJxqTvQvX3wmIWQ23TA**.ecappj02

So. Google did not have real push notifications, witch is a part of messaging center.

My God, but can you read the link you put.

Push notifications for Mail was for iPhone, NOT for Android. Android had push notifications from the start.

You know something called IMAP IDLE, don't you?

And Android has had push notifications on all apps since the beginning. And you know why? Because it has had multitasking from the beginning and thay didn't need something like the "push notification service" made by Apple to circunvect the lack of multitasking.

Please, for the last time. READ and UNDERSTAND better before writing such nonsense

And no, Cloud to Phone is not like push notifications

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

And is Android's notification system patented? No. Find another example.

This is the point people do not understand.

Fandroids should just patent it and sue Apple.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
This is the point people do not understand.

Fandroids should just patent it and sue Apple.

Fandroids?

And you say you don't want to discuss religious stuff?

Yap, get the facts, you can have a degree on IT but you don't know nothing about what you're discussing

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Ok.

You changed the subject. When you were defeated on the "Cydia had the notifications like iOS 5's notifications before Android bit", you changed it to this non-sense about "push" notifications, which had nothing to do with the initial point.

Anyway, this is all off-topic. The topic is Apple's FUD claiming Andy Rubin's 1992 employment at Apple and access to engineers that wrote up the '263 patent is somehow relevant today with Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.