Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blunti

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
i have 5 domains with godaddy, have 2 different hosting plans ( 1 in their European datacenters the other one is in the US datacenter), no problems what-so-ever.

jtara

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2009
Don't use the same company as your registrar and host. It gives one company too much power over your valuable assets.

I use moniker.com for domain registration. They are in the same ballpark as most other low-cost registrars, they have a UI that is well-suited to those with mutliple domains, and they are completely professional. While they've gone through a series of acquisitions, I haven't seen their professionalism impacted.

For hosting, there are so many choices there is no point in trying to suggest one. For one, needs vary widely. I use a VPS at Linode myself.

I also use third-party DNS. I prefer not to rely on either the registrar or host for DNS. I use dnsmadeeasy. Again, these are valuable assets, and it is wise not to concentrate control with one vendor. As well, most registrars and hosts don't provide very good DNS service. dnsmadeasy (and similar companies) provide DNS servers located world-wide with AnyCast routing to the nearest server.

In each case, with these companies you are getting near-Enterprise level technology and support on a budget. Far superior to GoDaddy. Seek out similar companies.

If you are trying to save a dollar or two, you will experience a huge degradation in reliability and service vs. what little you save. Can you get GoDaddy on the phone? I can get each one of these companies on the phone when I need them. And I have - every one of them, and been completly satisfied.

You could also pay a WHOLE lot more to the top-tier companies (Network Solutions, etc.), and then THEY will call YOU! (Whether you want them to or not, LOL.)

Last edited:

bronxred

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Bronx
Go away, GoDaddy!

I'm a GoDaddy hater too. Had nothing but trouble when working with them, and my aunt whose site I was building blamed it all on me, understandably. The hoops they made us jump through to leave were incredible.

But I love Dreamhost. Have been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind. They have all the usual "unlimited" stuff and a great control panel, and one-click installs of WordPress and other CMS options.

Jake :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I'm a GoDaddy hater too. Had nothing but trouble when working with them, and my aunt whose site I was building blamed it all on me, understandably. The hoops they made us jump through to leave were incredible.

But I love Dreamhost. Have been with them for nine years and they have always been quick, courteous and helpful whenever I've had an issue or question of any kind. They have all the usual "unlimited" stuff and a great control panel, and one-click installs of WordPress and other CMS options.

Jake :D

Are you working for dreamhost? You have made 11 post just today advertising them.

BTW, no complaints about godaddy here, but I haven't needed their help with anything. No issues with my sites, no issues with FTP, and no issues with their customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
I concur... GoDaddy. I have 6 domains there and they host a site for me. Never a lick of trouble, and the tech support treats you like you invested a million bucks.

True about the tech support. They'll walk you through stuff and explain it. "An educated consumer is their best customer."

Ricardo Main

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Hello,

I'm looking for a place which will buy/rent me a .com domain name and rent be some space on the web. Nothing too fancy, but preferably cheap and uncomplicated (and UK based, if you think that makes a difference).

I'm completely bamboozled by all of the sites that come up when I google web hosting. Can someone recommend somewhere?

Thanks!

I would suggest you buy from Namecheap and Domainka, I have bought a domain from these sites and I am satisfied with their service and assistance.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Okay, guess I'll be the first to speak out against Go Daddy. Their ads are shameless and they try to upsell you for every stupid little thing.

You'll also spend lots of time digging through the cruft on their site trying to find what should take only a few clicks. To make matters worse, they are constantly moving things around. GD is cheap however.

I'm currently with by Bluehost and have been fairly happy.

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
I bought mine at godaddy. The only annoying thing about Godaddy is sales people calls you like crazy.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I complained to them a couple if years ago about that when they called me, they've never called again. I've made several purchases from them since then and never a phone call. I do receive a large amount of emails from them though.

I bought mine at godaddy. The only annoying thing about Godaddy is sales people calls you like crazy.

atomoboy

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2007
Birmingham, AL
Hello,

I'm looking for a place which will buy/rent me a .com domain name and rent be some space on the web. Nothing too fancy, but preferably cheap and uncomplicated (and UK based, if you think that makes a difference).

I'm completely bamboozled by all of the sites that come up when I google web hosting. Can someone recommend somewhere?

Thanks!

I've used Network Solutions and GoDaddy and really prefer GoDaddy. Much cheaper, great support and if are buying in bulk, they have discount programs to save you more $$

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004
I currently use Gandi and Hover for domain names. Both include whois privacy by default and don't play the upselling game. Also, of relevance to US residents, GoDaddy was originally a supporter of SOPA, but by that time I had already moved away from them.

Doma Ining

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2013
Hello,

Thanks!

I recommend you buy from Namecheap and DomainKa, I am very much satisfied with their service and assistance.

Randy McKown

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
I manage domains at Godaddy because there's always an active coupon to get $1.50 dot coms. I don't host there though. I use Hostgator for that.

donnybwoy

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2013
If you are having a good experience with GoDaddy, that's great, but heavy oversellers (ie. cheapo hosts) tend to have so many other restrictions in place that in the end most webmasters would rather spend a bit extra and get decent hosting. :)

Godaddy go go go..:eek:

giraffle

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Another vote for...

Hover and Moniker both have interfaces suited to managing an ever-growing number of domains.

Hover is my current favorite because the enable WHOIS privacy by default and don't charge you extra for it plus it's super easy to find coupon codes for. Save yourself a dollar or two every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.