Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Koodo is going to be getting the iPhone in July as well, at least in Ontario (Toronto and Vancouver already have it at Koodo shops). I'm sure other provinces will soon follow. You can either get a contract with their iPhone specific plans or pay for most of the phone outright with the rest on a 'Tab' - in this case you can pick whatever plan you want and use the 'Data Saver' in which you only pay for the data you use each month. I'm not sure how it would work if you already have an iPhone, you'd have to inquire about that with them. Since they now (or will soon) support it, it should be fine.

You do realize that you've grouped both Toronto & Vancouver as Ontario cities (in bold above) and to anyone never knowing the difference, or to our bigger brothers south of the border we look lost in our own backyard. ;)

A little insight for those moving to Canada (permanent or for School):
1. Rogers it THE biggest carrier of all: both in terms of complete coverage (somewhat arguable), and number of users in total (post-paid total as well).
2. Rogers has THE largest corporate contracts of all providers in Canada.
3. Avoid bundling your cellular with Cable/phone services with Rogers. Although it may save you about 10-20% it binds ALL into a contract (recently) and cancelling any 1 service causes a rise in immediate payment or current months bill.

Most importantly: AVOID contracts - as a new comer into Canada you're credit rating may not be recognized so a large deposit may be required. Look for alternatives if you're not staying for more than 2yrs.

Although ALL my lines and services are with them, I cannot STAND Rogers' customer service (and I worked for their cellular team over 12yrs ago).

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
So do you guys/gals think we'll be given the same release day for the iP5 as the USA or Euro countries this year?? Or do you think it'll be a eventual roll out, a couple countries for release and then a couple more a few weeks later...like how it was last year for the iP4??

Hope everyone's enjoying their Summer!! :)

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
So do you guys/gals think we'll be given the same release day for the iP5 as the USA or Euro countries this year?? Or do you think it'll be a eventual roll out, a couple countries for release and then a couple more a few weeks later...like how it was last year for the iP4??

Hope everyone's enjoying their Summer!! :)

I hope we get it at launch, i believe we got the iPhone 3G and 3GS on launch date.

Also, has anyone tried buying an iPhone X-1 and selling it for iPhone X? How was your experience, and how did you sell it? Did you have to unlock the device?
I'm currently with Robbers (Rogers), and I plan on buying the iPhone 5 but will be selling it for the iPhone 6. Just curious.

taran420

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I hope we get it at launch, i believe we got the iPhone 3G and 3GS on launch date.

Also, has anyone tried buying an iPhone X-1 and selling it for iPhone X? How was your experience, and how did you sell it? Did you have to unlock the device?
I'm currently with Robbers (Rogers), and I plan on buying the iPhone 5 but will be selling it for the iPhone 6. Just curious.

i've sold every iphone (3g, 3gs) ive owned to get the higher one. 3G was unlocked, 3gs wasnt, 16gb. Both gone for ~$400 after a year of use. They hold their value, plus people hate tying into long term contracts and getting data. So you can get a lot for them.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
i've sold every iphone (3g, 3gs) ive owned to get the higher one. 3G was unlocked, 3gs wasnt, 16gb. Both gone for ~$400 after a year of use. They hold their value, plus people hate tying into long term contracts and getting data. So you can get a lot for them.

Thanks for the info!
Do you put that money for the hardware upgrade, or are you without a contract?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the info!
Do you put that money for the hardware upgrade, or are you without a contract?

^ the easy route is to put that sale money to the HUP (hardware upgrade) and keep the extra loot in the bank/invest it to grow just in case you choose to cancel or switch providers ... something I'm heavily considering this month.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Hey everyone...I haven't been on Macrumors in a LONNNNNNNG time, guess I've been too busy on the Killzone.com website.

Just wanted to get a feel for everyone's opinion on the new iP5 or iP53GS coming out in September. I still loving my iP4 (which is quite odd for me, as I seem to get soooooooooo bored with everything after just a little bit of time) Every time a new iPhone would be coming out I'd be counting the minutes....this time, not so much!

I just can't picture the new one being all that much better than what we already have. What do you all think? Are you counting the minutes? Or are you more on my side of the fence, and not all that excited?

If Rogers allows me to upgrade this year again, without making me pay a huge fee (like the past 3 years) I'll likely get it...but if it's going to be much of a struggle I might not even bother for a while. One thing is for sure though...if it can't be JB I won't get it at all. I hope I'll have the answer to that question before it is released though.

Last edited:

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Hey everyone...I haven't been on Macrumors in a LONNNNNNNG time, guess I've been too busy on the Killzone.com website.

Just wanted to get a feel for everyone's opinion on the new iP5 or iP53GS coming out in September. I still loving my iP4 (which is quite odd for me, as I seem to get soooooooooo bored with everything after just a little bit of time) Every time a new iPhone would be coming out I'd be counting the minutes....this time, not so much!

I just can't picture the new one being all that much better than what we already have. What do you all think? Are you counting the minutes? Or are you more on my side of the fence, and not all that excited?

If Rogers allows me to upgrade this year again, without making me pay a huge fee (like the past 3 years) I'll likely get it...but if it's going to be much of a struggle I might not even bother for a while. One thing is for sure though...if it can't be JB I won't get it at all. I hope I'll have the answer to that question before it is released though.

Honestly, looks like the iPhone 5 will be the biggest upgrade yet. I'm very excited and counting down the minutes!

From the latest credible rumour sources we can expect the following:

1) A5 Dual Core processor
2) Bigger screen
3) Better antenna design
4) External hardware design (iPhone 3GS or iPad 2-like rounded edge design)
5) Better camera

Which entails to a fantastic upgrade than any iPhone upgrades we've seen so far. So i definitely think this one is worth it, much more than the 3GS to iPhone 4, if the rumours are true.

I'm stuck with my iPhone 3G which i got on the launch day in '08, i'm eligible for a hardware upgrade and will definitely be getting the iPhone 5 on launch day.

Sean1218

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
What do you guys think about Rogers vs Bell vs Telus (or Virgin Mobile if they release it along side the others) for the iPhone 5? I'm going with the 6 GB data plan if it's still offered.

I'm currently just using a light plan with Koodo (in Montreal).

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Honestly, looks like the iPhone 5 will be the biggest upgrade yet. I'm very excited and counting down the minutes!

From the latest credible rumour sources we can expect the following:

1) A5 Dual Core processor
2) Bigger screen
3) Better antenna design
4) External hardware design (iPhone 3GS or iPad 2-like rounded edge design)
5) Better camera

Which entails to a fantastic upgrade than any iPhone upgrades we've seen so far. So i definitely think this one is worth it, much more than the 3GS to iPhone 4, if the rumours are true.

I'm stuck with my iPhone 3G which i got on the launch day in '08, i'm eligible for a hardware upgrade and will definitely be getting the iPhone 5 on launch day.

Really Reach?? I must say I totally disagree with your statement of the iP4 to the iP5 being a bigger upgrade then the 3GS to the iP4...I think 3GS to the iP4 was so much more, maybe in part due to the new iOS 4.0 adding a ton of features. I still agree it's a significant upgrade though, I look forward to the new design, better camera and bigger screen...that we can agree on!!!

What do you guys think about Rogers vs Bell vs Telus (or Virgin Mobile if they release it along side the others) for the iPhone 5? I'm going with the 6 GB data plan if it's still offered.

I'm currently just using a light plan with Koodo (in Montreal).

If I were you Sean I'd go with Robbers...I've been with them for about 5 years now. I've been with every company really, but prefer them as I find their plans work well for me and they always try to keep me happy come "new iP time"...I even called Retentions a couple months ago and had my bill cut down about $60 a month. Check back maybe 12-20 pages and you can read about 100 great stories and tips on how people have talked Retentions into giving them much better deals then what's normally offered.

Actually I think I remember that dude PROM above, being really helpful with assisting people in getting price plan reductions. (I could be wrong, but check back there anyways, there's a ton of great info to read)

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Does anybody think this is legit? It was posted last week, apparently it's from Telus:

6002465555_b4f079fefa.jpg

6002465561_2536e1bd5e.jpg

If it's true, then we'll be getting the iPhone 5 on October 1st, or maybe only Telus is getting it on October 1st? I really hope Rogers gets it earlier..

Really Reach?? I must say I totally disagree with your statement of the iP4 to the iP5 being a bigger upgrade then the 3GS to the iP4...I think 3GS to the iP4 was so much more, maybe in part due to the new iOS 4.0 adding a ton of features.

I guess we'll have to wait and see!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
^Honestly I think only a few people at Apple really know what is going on with release dates and info. I doubt carriers know at this point. Most likely it was Telus just putting in a placeholder of some sort.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Spreadsheets, like Statistics, can be made to show anything. I honestly doubt Telus(or any carrier, for that matter) would have information regarding the next iPhone. They might, however, have blackout dates set so that they can begin training their employees for a new product, but that is not limited to Apple. Or particular Carriers.

Sean1218

macrumors member
May 22, 2011
If I were you Sean I'd go with Robbers...I've been with them for about 5 years now. I've been with every company really, but prefer them as I find their plans work well for me and they always try to keep me happy come "new iP time"...I even called Retentions a couple months ago and had my bill cut down about $60 a month. Check back maybe 12-20 pages and you can read about 100 great stories and tips on how people have talked Retentions into giving them much better deals then what's normally offered.

Actually I think I remember that dude PROM above, being really helpful with assisting people in getting price plan reductions. (I could be wrong, but check back there anyways, there's a ton of great info to read)

Thanks for the advice; most people I ask seem to say Rogers as well. Also, there's actually a huge Rogers retention thread on redflagdeals that is great. I'll probably just end up reading through that.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Bell/Virgin (and through nearly all other carriers through Futureshop), 16GB iPhones are selling for $99 for a limited time on a 3 year contract, if you're looking for a bit cheaper iPhone right now, now might be best time.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Koodo has the iPhone 4 now as well. They have some new plans that are pretty good. Unlimited Anytime Mins and Canada Wide calling.

Yup, they have some great options, no activation fees and nice that you can go month to month with no contract.

I dream of an iPhone coming to Wind. :(

I thnk there's a good chance we'll see the next iPhone have the AWS 3G band included. :)

maus

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
Yup, they have some great options, no activation fees and nice that you can go month to month with no contract.

I thnk there's a good chance we'll see the next iPhone have the AWS 3G band included. :)
Not holding my breath. :(

lisalisa28

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
Best Top 10 Cydia Apps & Tweaks To Install For 2011

Top Cydia App choices for year 2011
These are the best all-around jailbreak apps you will find on Cydia that serve purpose with great funtionalities. There are some great tweaks add to this list as well.

Activator: A really useful app that you can use to completely customize how to open applications. Volume buttons can open up the camera, gestures can open up your SMS. You could also do something crazy like holding down the power button to make a call to your Mom or Dad if you'd like. You can use it to launch anything on your phone. It is your choice what functionalities your iPhone has at this point.

Backgrounder: Apple implemented a quasi-multitasking in iOS 4 that's been good enough for most. But if you still want authentic, seamless and just good ol' fashioned multitasking, Backgrounder has always been the best option.

bigU Movies: Allows you to watch over thousands of full length new movies and dvd movies in very high quality. A must have app if you want to catch up on all the recent movies you missed, want to watch new movies, you have tons of free time on your hands or if you just want to stream movie from this app to your TV for the whole family to enjoy.

BiteSMS: It's a significantly more powerful messaging app and includes features like smileys, privacy, scheduled SMS, passcode lock, delivery reports, signatures, and more. The star feature is Qucik Replying, as you can reply without ever getting into an app.

iBlacklist: Easily block calls and texts from people you don't know or just don't want to talk to.

Lock Calendar: For those who like useful lock screens, Lock Calendar displays your calendar on, well, your lock screen. It's reminiscent of 'Today' home pages of Blackberrys and Windows Mobile devices.

MyWi: You can turn your iPhone into a 3G hotspot without paying AT&T or Verizon another dime. Sure, there's some grey area legally speaking but you won't complain when you're using MyWi instead of paying a hotel 20 bucks a night for crappy Wi-Fi.

My3G: My3G tricks your phone into thinking it's connected to Wi-Fi when it's actually on a 3G network. So you can Facetime over 3G, run higher quality videos in certain apps and do things that are Wi-Fi restricted. Crucial.

Notified Pro: Like Mobile Notifier and Notifier+, it's a better notification system for iOS. Though soon to be obsolete when iOS 5 releases (it's nearly the same solution), it delivers non-intrusive webOS style notifications and an Android style drag-down banner.

Pocketmode: It geniusly uses your iPhone's ambient light sensor to determine where your iPhone is. So if it's in your pocket (dark), the ringer is customized to be louder than when it's on your desk (bright). And don't worry, there's a night mode to prevent it from shrieking during your sleep.

SBSettings: This is a must have if you own a jailbroken iPhone. SBSettings gives you easy access to all the settings you'd like to adjust (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Orientation Lock, etc.) by just swiping down the Status Bar. No more digging in menus! It's totally customizable and accessible from anywhere. It makes no sense that Apple hasn't done something like this yet

Springtomize: A suite of custom tools and tweaks that let you adjust your iPhone like icons, folders, status bar, lockscreen, animations, springboard and more.

Winterboard: This app is a must have and a classic especially if you want to customize almost everything on any iPhone. We're talking about crazy themes, wacky fonts and anything else you'd want under the sun.

5-Row Qwerty Keyboard: It adds a row for numbers on the keyboard. Definitely a time saver.

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Just wondering how many people here have preordered the iP4s through Rogers?

I'm number 678 as of yesterday. I'm wondering if I'll be able to get mine on launch day or not? Hope so!

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Also how many Rogers customers think they'll cave with their crappy early upgrade policy?? I sure hope they give the same prices as last year, or darn near close to!

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
If Rogers has 9+ million subs, and even a small percentage preorder or go for the 4S, then I'm sure you'll be fine as #678.

How did it work by the way? Didn't realize they actually tell you where in the queue you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.