Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kobewan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
hello folks

i got a new mac with lion
i love lion, but i just realize my way to download videos is gone

real player downloader won't work anymore
it opens up but nothing happens
i have installed the latest version, i could not find any thread about not working with lion

anybody knows a way to make it work again?
what could have happened?

otherwise any other free way to download youtube and other videos?

thanks for your time

matteo

Kobewan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2011
...use a browser? Honestly I don't know why you're surprised. RealPlayer is a relic on today's internet and with today's technology.

i just use it cause until lion it was the best program i found to download videos for free

as simple as that

too bad lion ended it

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
in safari,while watching desired video, go into window click on activity, look for the biggest file (usually its the only one thats in megs) and d/l from there. ;)

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
in safari,while watching desired video, go into window click on activity, look for the biggest file (usually its the only one thats in megs) and d/l from there. ;)

Sorry to hijack but have you tried this in Lion yourself? It seems to me that this is no longer possible without some external download manager like Progressive Downloader, for example because the download window doesn't exist anymore and the new implementation of the download list does not accept copy/paste.

Or am I missing something?

Johnscone

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
I am using Lion and realplayer downloader works fine, it downloads ok from youtube and converts directly into iTunes

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Why would anyone want to use Real Player....

Just change YouTube's video quality to 480p or higher, find the largest file in Safari's Activity Window and then Command+Double Click it to download the mp4 directly.

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
Sorry to hijack but have you tried this in Lion yourself? It seems to me that this is no longer possible without some external download manager like Progressive Downloader, for example because the download window doesn't exist anymore and the new implementation of the download list does not accept copy/paste.

it works seamlessly here in lion.
if you go into window pane in the task-bar, click on activity, scroll down through the feeds until you see the biggest file, double click, and it will d/l it , no problem.
add the d/l symbol to your toolbar, when clicking on the file it will do the new lion/ios jumping action, to show it is d/loading.
i have no third party d/l manager installed.

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003

Copying and pasting works for me with the popover. Or you can double click the file in the Activity window.

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
it works seamlessly here in lion.
if you go into window pane in the task-bar, click on activity, scroll down through the feeds until you see the biggest file, double click, and it will d/l it , no problem.
add the d/l symbol to your toolbar, when clicking on the file it will do the new lion/ios jumping action, to show it is d/loading.
i have no third party d/l manager installed.

This is weird... I must be doing something wrong or have a wrong option selected somewhere because it doesn't work on my end. When I double click on the feed, Safari just opens a new tab with a player showing me the video/audio file I just double clicked on.

I also tried different combinations of cmd/alt/ctrl/shift-double click with no luck.

Oh well, I'll try to figure it out. Thanks for the help though!

Zephar

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Same here 10.7.3 & Realplayer

Same here after 10.7.3 with Realplayer not showing in the downloader window anymore. Multiple re-installs did nothing; and, last night re-installing Lion did not help either.
Anyone have a fix for us. There is really no other A/V dl that I could find.
Best,
Zepahar

hello folks

i got a new mac with lion
i love lion, but i just realize my way to download videos is gone

real player downloader won't work anymore
it opens up but nothing happens
i have installed the latest version, i could not find any thread about not working with lion

anybody knows a way to make it work again?
what could have happened?

otherwise any other free way to download youtube and other videos?

thanks for your time

matteo

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
you will have to wait for "realupdate" for lion 10.7.3" which will probably take about as long as the .4 update for mac.

but it won't work with that update either!

R.P. for mac has had its day.

dacoolest

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2011
I recently switched from mac and I have been looking for a method to easily download youtube and other videos. I did not know about the real player. But I recently found that the newest update from the Speed Download allows us to download from youtube by doing secondary clicking and selecting "download youtube video"

billye1952

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2012
San Francisco
Realplay on lion

Go to macupdate, go to search section. Put "tooble" this software will download
Youtube...Instead trying use Realplayer or RealplayerSP.
Ihave contact realplayer about this issue.

Cre8tiveDude

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
Shenzhen, China
Same here 10.7.3 & Realplayer also...

Same here after 10.7.3 with Realplayer not showing in the downloader window anymore. Multiple re-installs did nothing; and, last night re-installing Lion did not help either.
Anyone have a fix for us. There is really no other A/V dl that I could find.
Best,
Zepahar

Like wise, this is always the case when installing a new OS or buying a new Mac with a new OS. There are some third-party software that will not work properly.

What I'm using right now is iTubeX

I think this is the easiest to use app out there currently. Though it is not free that is why the UI is good and the download quality is okay too.

CuttySark

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2011
Realplayer Threads: Problem-Solving or One-Upmanship?

In looking for the reason RealPlayer Downloader stopped working on my iMac a couple of months ago (it had been working on Lion for quite a while), I found MacRumors threads going back to 2008. I was discouraged by many responses that pooh-poohed getting RealPlayer working -- plain folks and "demigods" asking why are you using RealPlayer anyway, you old relic you, but furnishing no substitute unless you never want to go beyond YouTube. Looks like much change is simmering on the video-download front, from intellectual-property disputes to "fixes" in browser software -- most of the latter making downloads harder to come by, to the delight of many others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.