Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Atari has recently updated their Atari's Greatest Hits iOS app to include support for an upcoming "Atari Arcade -- Duo Powered" joystick. The description links to this image and desciption:
Relive the fast-action excitement of all your arcade favorites, like Asteroids, Centipede, and Missile Command.

Simply connect your iPad to Atari's Greatest Hits app for Duo, and you're ready to share the fun with family and friends anywhere!
The device appears to be very similar to well received iCade from ThinkGeek.

Technabob speculates that this new iPad-compatible joystick's simpler design may be cheaper than the iCade which is priced at $99. The iCade carries a mini arcade cabinet design while the Atari Arcade Joystick offers a more open layout.

The design appears to support both landscape and portrait orientations. No details are provided, but it's likely the device also uses Bluetooth rather than going straight into the dock connector. This is how the iCade works as well, by emulating a Bluetooth keyboard. This system also makes it easier for 3rd party developers to build in support for the accessories.

Atari's Greatest Hits offers 100 classic Atari games for the iPad and iPhone. It was the first app to provide support for the iCade with several others following. No word on when Atari's joystick will be available, just "soon".

Update: DVICE reports that the ATARI Joystick uses the dock connector (not bluetooth) and will be available for $60 on October 2nd. at Target.

Article Link: Atari to Release an Official Atari Arcade Joystick for iPad

Last edited:

dhrlove

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
These will only ever take off if Apple releases its own controller and makes it a standard for all new iOS games.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
iWant so badly

I would actually buy an iPad for this - as it would look way better than using my iPhone.

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Cool! :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I'm not sure if anyone else uses arcade sticks here (my temporary+current setup :) http://yfrog.com/z/mgn29mj), but they get bashed around a lot. I wouldn't want any £500+ device stood upright in a holster on such a controller!

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I know what I'm getting for Christmas.

Hahaha - me too! My kids have duly been told: "This is what daddy wants for Christmas" :D

Atari will sell skip loads of these if they price it right - $69 or something similar...

Hairball

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Near an Apple device
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Too bad the games suck. This controller would be cool for good games.

lilcosco08

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2010
Dayton
Umm it's a touch screen device, with a physical joystick add on....:confused:

Exactly. Tactile feedback+ precise control. Touch input just doesn't cut it for these types of games (See street fighter)

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8L1)

Too bad the games suck. This controller would be cool for good games.

Without these games that "suck", we wouldn't have the "cool" games

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Looks smaller and simpler than the iCade, which I like. If it’s cheaper, and/or if “powered” means “powered” (so it can charge the iPad) then I’m likely to buy!

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Nintendo should really be worried about stuff about this.
It's really going to take market share from the DS and similar things.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Games like Centipede and Missile Command need a trackball.

Unfortunately a trackball would be pretty hard to implement with the current workaround. (ie. behaving as BT keyboard)

This thing, which you couldn't even call a "handheld" by any stretch of the imagination, is way to niche to take any significant market share from the DS. Or even its fledgling successor, the 3DS.

A gamepad attachment for the iPhone and iPod touch would be a more plausible threat. Though only if it was an official Apple product. Otherwise it just won't get enough support to really matter.

Last edited:

3NV7

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
Games like Centipede and Missile Command need a trackball.

Indeed. Almost none of the arcade games included in the Atari collection originally used an actual joystick. They were all spinners/trackballs/buttons. The 2600 games are another story, obviously.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
And I was hoping for something a little more compact like a Bluetooth Joystick

Zeemote JS1

Although this puppy worked with S60 Nokia phones something more advanced with better design and ergonomics would be better no? Yes I love the arcade style.

E

erijkgabriel

Duo Powered

What does Duo Powered mean. Couldn't really find anything on that. Is it a company, technique?

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK

The iPhone/iPod has already taken its cut out of Nintendo's DS market. I don't see that a joystick base is going to make any difference - I'd imagine that the thing thats protecting the DS right now is its low price compared to the others, and it's a real on-the-go device combined with tactile, push-button control. This Atari option. I can't see many people taking this joystick thing around with them or playing it on the train like you can with a DS.

Yes, the glory days of the DS are behind it, but I don't see anything like this making a difference.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^ Also the games. Don't forget that. Pokemon shifts 50 million games a generation, and god knows how many Mario shifts in all the games he has now.
I find a lot of iOS gamers don't realise that gaming platforms are about the games. It's how the Gameboy and DS did better than the Gamegear and PSP despite Nintendo releasing weaker, cheaper consoles.

Woah, revionist history much?

Since when did Asteroids, Missile Command, Space Invaders, Pong and the like "suck"?

It's not revisionist - it's a different gaming era. A lot of the games I loved as a kid are now almost unplayable through choppy framerates, ancient/dull gameplay. I had my fun with those years ago but everything has moved on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.