Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I feel one of the downsides of Macs and the whole Apple product lineup is that almost all of their products rely on a specific account. This makes it non-universal, meaning that someone else can't just pick up the device and it have the same experience for everyone.

Basically, with the iTunes/App store and now the Mac App Store, I feel that Apple relies too much on stuff that is "tied" to a specific account. Think of it this way: a blu-ray movie or physical disc-based video game can be played from scratch on any system, and works the same for everybody. Whereas, if I buy something from the iTunes or App store, that App is tied to my account. If an entire family uses a single device and that device is tied to a single person's account, this can cause frustrations for the account owner when he leaves the device with his family and gets his own and has to transfer everything over and use another "account license", etc.

Basically, everything about Apple is great, but I feel this is the one thing getting in the way - single account-based purchases. Of course, most other companies use this format, and almost everything else uses this format (including MacRumors), but it can get hectic when the account is not used just by you.

Why can't we have easy access to these things without creating a mess involving user accounts, transfer of apps to another device used by a specific account, etc.

There's gotta be a way to make it more like the old days when you could just buy a music CD, and it be used by everyone in the same way, and nothing is personalized or changed. Another example is buying a video game. You can take it over to a friend's house or let the whole world use it and nothing is changed or personalized...it's still the same old disc that has the same media to be accessed by everyone. Think of this as an arcade-style format where many people are able to use the same arcade machine.

Something like a computer, a song, or a game, should not be tied specifically to a person. What if there is a Mac in a house with 20 people and I didn't want any personalization or anyone buying stuff off my account? What if Joe Schmo wants to buy an iPad and wants all his apps on the family-computer transferred to his iPad, but he originally used my account to buy the app? What if I don't want him to use my account in the future? I would have to let him use a "license" or be tied to my account in some way, and then he'd have to use his account to make purchases from then on. But then he's permanently tied to my account in a way.

I just wanted to get all this out of my system because it's really annoying to me how digital downloads and computer systems have to be customized to a single person. Like I said above, I would like these devices to be "pick-up-and-play" by anyone, much like how an arcade machine at an arcade is utilized. It's not "tied" to any one person and can be utilized the same by all.

A format like this is completely appropriate for a forum, for example. But in my opinion this format is not appropriate for things you buy through the App store, iTunes store, etc.

Last edited:

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
Just don't download anything from iTunes / the App Store and you can perfectly well use your Apple products without having an account ;)

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
The iTunes Store is doable but the App store is a necessity for some things like Lion

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
The iTunes Store is doable but the App store is a necessity for some things like Lion
Most apps are available elsewhere too.

What's the problem with that anyway? So you need an account to buy an OS update once ever 18-24 months *shrug*.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
USA
Under Pages preferences, it says the author is me. But my entire family uses this computer to type up documents on iWork. If they send an iWork/Office export, will it show me as the author? If it does, how do I fix this?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Under Pages preferences, it says the author is me. But my entire family uses this computer to type up documents on iWork. If they send an iWork/Office export, will it show me as the author? If it does, how do I fix this?

Why is such a small thing a big issue? I'd be more worried about formatting compatibility in the export than an author tag in the file.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Apples idea was to make sure that at least some pay for apps ....
the issue started already in PPC times , and if you look on ebay you know why ,

things like " apple * Mac *** with thousands of £/$/€ worth of apps "
with apps its worth nearly double then with only the OS , but still the same problem on the OS too .
Or how do people think that nearly every used Mac comes with the max OS it can take but without disc and apps without disc or serial , just cloned !
how many intel Mac's for example you find that had been shipped with tiger/leopard still run tiger/leopard when they are sold with the orig disc's nearly non ,all run snow leopard but no disc , nearly all have some version of microsoft office installed but no disc's for it or serial same for photoshop, avid and the like ,apps that cost more then £1000 alone

as on Mac's you just have to buy 1 used Mac with those apps installed , then buy 1000 used Mac's from some corporate environment for cheap and just clone that harddrive makes about £300 + more profit on each on ebay , that was and still is a big business just look up the business sellers ..they would normally need 10000's only to be able to install the apps on 1 Mac they offer if those apps would be legit copy's

i payed £1900 for my Avid media composer , and my adobe master collection did not cost less , but i find those often given for free on ebay preinstalled and obvious people bid higher if they find lots of preinstalled apps that would normally cost them say £5000 to buy

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.