Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_test_photo.jpg

Pocketnow.com reports that it has discovered a new photo that may have been taken by an iPhone 5. According to the report, EXIF data indicates that the photo was taken by an iPhone 4, but the original image checked in at nearly 8 megapixels prior to cropping, higher than the iPhone 4's 5-megapixel resolution and in line with rumors for the iPhone 5.
This (very attractive) photo claims to have been taken by an iPhone 4, but the rest of its EXIF data tells a different story: although the image has been cropped to 2235x2291 (5.12 megapixels), the original picture was a much larger 3264x2448 -- or just shy of eight megapixels. What's more, the lens was recorded as a 4.3mm f/2.4, which is closer to that of a point-and-shoot than the iPhone 4's actual 3.85mm f/2.8.
Further fueling the rumor is the purported backstory on the image, which includes claims that the picture was taken by an Apple engineer eating lunch at work.

Claimed part leaks from the "iPhone 5" revealed a rear camera essentially identical to that from the iPhone 4, but these leaks appear to be from Apple's "N94" iPhone that seems to be the so-called "iPhone 4S" based on the iPhone 4 rather than a redesigned iPhone 5.

Article Link: Potential First Released Photo Taken by an iPhone 5

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Sony Exmor R? Could be the same unit used by the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.

If it is then, :D as the Arc already takes pretty decent images.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
...this is getting stupid.

A picture is news on here now?

This is a RUMOR of a photo being taken by an iPhone 5 which is an Apple product. It is definitely news for people who have interest in the iPhone 5 and its camera quality, so quit moaning already and just don't click the link if you don't like it.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
This is a RUMOR of a photo being taken by an iPhone 5 which is an Apple product. It is definitely news for people who have interest in the iPhone 5 and its camera quality, so quit moaning already and just don't click the link if you don't like it.
Indeed. News like these lived up to the name "Macrumors". This is definitely better than reading posts about what company Apple is suing. :rolleyes:

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
I see the reflection of iPhone 5 on the left side of the plate!

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Very interesting. I find myself taking plenty of pictures with my iPhone 4, so a real upgrade in quality would be meaningful for me. However, extra megabits isn't really going to help that much. I want low light capability and better lens. Often I only email around a smaller than fullsized picture anyway. I hope Apple keeps focused on the quality of the picture and doesn't get into the stupid megabits war.

happyjaxx

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
Though the plate looks like those you can find at the food-court in the campus, the GPS doesn't exactly point to the food-court... a forged EXIF information?

Once again, rumours remain rumours...

RebelScum

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
Toronto
I bet if you enhanced this photo you could see a faint reflection of the photographer in the plate.

Where's Caruso when you need him?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Keep in mind that EXIF data can be spoofed.

That being said, sounds like a nice upgrade. HTC just announced phones with f/2.2 lenses, so camera quality is likely to improve across the board in high end phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.