Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4rkc4sm

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
This may be a big surprise to many but contrary to what camera manufacters like consumers to beleive MegaPixels DO NOT relate the the quality of an image, mearly its size, megapixel simple means "1000 pixels", it tells nothing of the actual quality of the image. While this is well known to people into photography its still widely beleived by consumers.

See:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
http://cyberphotographer.com/megapixelmyth/
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=me...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

mega pixels means millions of pixels

deellow

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
The 25309
Very interesting. I find myself taking plenty of pictures with my iPhone 4, so a real upgrade in quality would be meaningful for me. However, extra megabits isn't really going to help that much. I want low light capability and better lens. Often I only email around a smaller than fullsized picture anyway. I hope Apple keeps focused on the quality of the picture and doesn't get into the stupid megabits war.

+1 This. Megapixels mean NOTHING. To the lay person they make all the difference, but to people who understand cameras, megapixel counts are ridiculous.

deellow

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
The 25309
this may be a big surprise to many but contrary to what camera manufacters like consumers to beleive megapixels do not relate the the quality of an image, mearly its size, megapixel simple means "1,000,000 pixels", it tells nothing of the actual quality of the image. While this is well known to people into photography its still widely beleived by consumers. In many cases increased megapixels can decrease the quality of an image(!) if the mp count is greater than the capabilities of the cameras sensor.

See:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm
http://cyberphotographer.com/megapixelmyth/
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=me...s=org.mozilla:en-gb:official&client=firefox-a

+1

Lotso

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
OC, California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unless of course, you like to crop your pictures. Then Megapixels become more important.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
here is to hoping you can take RAW photos on the new iphone

While photographers like myself would love that I can't see Apple doing that. The vast vast majority of users wouldn't know what that means and would likely never use it.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Appears it may have the same issue of a green spot in the middle of the photo, just like my iPhone 4.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
However, the GPS location points to China?

You're missing the directionals on latitude and longitude, so you're getting China instead of Cupertino.

I don't know where people got that GPS data but my Photoshop RAW data shows this :

</exif:SubjectArea>
<exif:SensingMethod>2</exif:SensingMethod>
<exif:ExposureMode>0</exif:ExposureMode>
<exif:WhiteBalance>0</exif:WhiteBalance>
<exif:SceneCaptureType>0</exif:SceneCaptureType>
<exif:Sharpness>0</exif:Sharpness>
<exif:GPSLatitude>37,19.93N</exif:GPSLatitude>
<exif:GPSLongitude>122,1.82W</exif:GPSLongitude>

<exif:GPSAltitudeRef>0</exif:GPSAltitudeRef>
<exif:GPSAltitude>11847/160</exif:GPSAltitude>
<exif:GPSTimeStamp>2011-07-22T18:53:12Z</exif:GPSTimeStamp>
</rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>

That puts it in Caloocan City, Philippines

37º 19.93' N, 122º 1.82' W is Cupertino, not the Phillippines.

But yes, EXIF data can certainly be manipulated, so take this for what it is.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
This just made the craving for sushi that I've had for the past week so much stronger.

On another note, do people seriously care about the camera on their phone so much? The camera on the iPhone 4 is good enough for everyday snapshots, and if I really want to take a photograph I just pull out my DSLR.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You're missing the directionals on latitude and longitude, so you're getting China instead of Cupertino.

37º 19.93' N, 122º 1.82' W is Cupertino, not the Phillippines.

But yes, EXIF data can certainly be manipulated, so take this for what it is.

I'm lost.

Why does google maps point it to the Philippines ?

OXO

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Look carefully

If you look carefully at the reflection on the plate at the 9 o'clock position, you can just make out the reflection of Gray Powell

:D

DrJohnnyN

Suspended
Jan 27, 2010
screen-shot-2011-09-07-at-10-37-41-am.png

screen-shot-2011-09-07-at-10-39-21-am.png

screen-shot-2011-09-07-at-10-44-02-am.png

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Can't someone here do that thing from The Dark Knight, using an iPhone 4 mounted on a track, snapping photos of various dinner plates, then having the computer analyze a reflection that looks similar which will give us the reflection dispersal pattern from which we can reconstruct the image of the iPhone that took this photo from the reflections scattered around the dinner plate?

It would totally work!

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Here is the photo on Flickr...posted by Apple engineer Anton D'Auria. Seems to actually be him.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
On another note, do people seriously care about the camera on their phone so much? The camera on the iPhone 4 is good enough for everyday snapshots, and if I really want to take a photograph I just pull out my DSLR.
Most people don't own DSLRs. Many people who have DSLRs don't carry around them around 24x7 whereas most people who own cellphones have them within a few steps away.

Also, a better quality camera is helpful in low-light situations, particularly when shooting video where the effective shutter speed is 1/60 second.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.