Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crockpot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Over the last couple of months my DVD player started to reject my netflix DVDs. Sometimes I would just pop it in a couple of times and it would eventually accept it. Now it's at the point where it rejects all movie DVDs no matter how times I put it in. However, it does takes data DVDs (ie, my adobe premiere disk, final cut pro disk, os disk) and CDs.

Here is what I have:
iMac: 3.06 Ghz (year and half old)
OS X: 10.6

Here is what I've done so far:
Reset PRAM
Repair Permissions

I rather avoid replacing it. I think I rather buy a external DVD player or just switch to only netflix streaming...

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
No apple care, and yes I already tried many non-netflix DVD.

Have you tried cleaning the DVD laser lens? Good luck with streaming netflix. Since they lost their agreement with Sony, their streaming collection is sh)t. I'm thinking of terminating it.

crockpot

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2011
Have you tried cleaning the DVD laser lens? Good luck with streaming netflix. Since they lost their agreement with Sony, their streaming collection is sh)t. I'm thinking of terminating it.

I probably need to be directed to some good cleaning instructions for cleaning the DVD lens. I was a huge PC guy before this Mac, so I rather not do anything stupid.

Ya, I was originally going to go for the 2 DVDs a month and skip streaming especially since they are also losing all the Starz deals also. But if my mac isn't DVD player isn't working then that it won't work for me (its my only source of DVD movie watching at this time).

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Can you even do that with a slot loading DVD drive? I'd be hesitant to put anything thicker than a DVD in there.

zarathu

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2003
...especially since they are also losing all the Starz deals also.

I use one of those CD cleaner discs with the little brushes every once in a while. They do work unless your lens in really dirty. Then somebody has to actually take the d@mn thing apart. Not a job for me. If the cleaner doesn't work, then your suprdrive has gone wonky, which is a habit of superdrives in my experience. Getting it fixed is an applecare thing unless you don't have that. Then a fireware external drive is probably easier unless you want to just replace the drive yourself Google iFixit for instructions.

If Starz is gone too, then Netflix steaming is about dead.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.