Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egsaxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Everything of mine keeps dying. First my beloved Power mac G4 (350 original baby) and now my ipod. I reset it according to apple's directions but after the apple logo appears i still can't turn it on. It froze prior to this weekend and i figured i'd just let the battery die. Now I can't charge it, turn it on, anything. any ideas? P.S. I have no way to spend the 100 bucks to have apple give me a new one. I am greatful for any ideas!!

iSaint

macrumors 603
Run iPod Updater and reset to factory settings. It erases everything on the iPod, but it's restored when you sync with your computer the next time.

Another thing you might try first, I had a similar issue and read somewhere to wait 24 hours before trying anything. I did, plugged it in for charging, ran the updater, resynced and let it charge up. Everything's fine now!

egsaxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
i've tried the menu/play reset but it wont power up after that and the computer won't recognize it to run the factory reset/updater

any other suggestions

egsaxy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
it wont turn on (other than that 3 sec apple logog) when plugged into the wall as well.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Will it start into Diagnostic Mode? Depending on your iPod gen it depends on the keys you press...

While restarting a 1G, 2G, or 3G iPod you press and hold Menu and Play/Pause

While restarting a 4G or any click-wheel based iPod, press and hold Menu and Enter (Select, whatever. Thing in the middle.)

If it does that, come back to us and tell us so we can help you more!

iSaint

macrumors 603
Don't touch it for 24 hours straight, then try plugging it into your computer. This is what I did before restoring it to factory settings.

Here's a link to Apple discussions where several people suggest to let the iPod sit 24 hours unplugged before plugging it up for charging. Like I said above, I restored mine after the 24 hrs, then re-synced with my iBook's iTunes library with no problem.

Akyo7

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2005
same thing happened to my ipod. it won't respond at all . I've tryed resetting it but that doesn't work and I don't even get the apples logo. its like its compleatly dead and its not that old .. I've only had it for 3 months.

firststrike101

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2005
Manitoba, Canada
My iPod

All my iPod does is start up to the apple logo and I hear a hard click then it keeps on restarting itself. Its going back to apple, good thing too cause I only have 7 days left of my warranty.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
iSaint said:
Wow, talk about reviving a thread! If they're under warranty, send them back! Apple's maintenance service is quick and efficient. Start here
or better yet, if you bring it to an Apple Store you won't have to pay anything and you know your iPod got there safely, everything else is on them.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.