Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holdmusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
I have one of the older MacBook Pros. Running Tiger.

There is a light blue, thin, vertical line running down the far right side of my screen. It won't go away with a restart. What can I do about this?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
It's always there, no matter what you're doing? It's probably a screen issue, not software.

jW

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I have one of the older MacBook Pros. Running Tiger.

There is a light blue, thin, vertical line running down the far right side of my screen. It won't go away with a restart. What can I do about this?

Can you take a screen shot of your desktop and have the blue line show up in the image? If it's not in the image maybe you got a string of bad bad pixels...just a shot in the dark.

holdmusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Can you take a screen shot of your desktop and have the blue line show up in the image? If it's not in the image maybe you got a string of bad bad pixels...just a shot in the dark.

Actually, the blue line doesn't show up at all in the screenshot. What do you mean "string of bad bad pixels"?

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Actually, the blue line doesn't show up at all in the screenshot. What do you mean "string of bad bad pixels"?

When i had an apple cinema display get dropped during a move from Alaska to Michigan i had an area of bad pixels that turned red. Maybe your display is bad and therefore covered under warranty.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
When i had an apple cinema display get dropped during a move from Alaska to Michigan i had an area of bad pixels that turned red. Maybe your display is bad and therefore covered under warranty.

I suspect if he's running Tiger he's well out of warranty (just based on timeframes).

OP, if it doesn't show up in a screenshot, then it's definitely a hardware problem. If you can connect your computer to an external monitor, you can help determine if it's graphics card or display, but usually anything related to the graphics card will shift in color or position as you use the computer. It's likely the display panel or the display cable (internally). You'll need to get someone to fix it for you, or decide to live with it (it will likely be expensive). For reference, iResQ will replace just the panel for $279 plus shipping. That price could go up if the cable is needed too.

jW

Samuriajackon

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
I suspect if he's running Tiger he's well out of warranty (just based on timeframes).

OP, if it doesn't show up in a screenshot, then it's definitely a hardware problem. If you can connect your computer to an external monitor, you can help determine if it's graphics card or display, but usually anything related to the graphics card will shift in color or position as you use the computer. It's likely the display panel or the display cable (internally). You'll need to get someone to fix it for you, or decide to live with it (it will likely be expensive). For reference, iResQ will replace just the panel for $279 plus shipping. That price could go up if the cable is needed too.

jW

Good point on the time frame. For the record other people have had blue line issues with macBooks if you search for it in the threads. I can't find it now, but i remember some crazy companies actually telling me that any more then 4 pixels bad is worth a replacement, nothing is worst then getting a brand new monitor and having a big red pixel blow out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.