Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_logo.jpg

Apple has launched a new charitable matching program for its employees, with the company offering to match employees' personal charitable contributions up to $10,000 per year. The program is currently limited to full-time U.S. employees, with plans to expand it to other countries over time. The new program was announced today in a company-wide email sent by new Apple CEO Tim Cook and provided to MacRumors.
Team:

I am very happy to announce that we are kicking off a matching gift program for charitable donations. We are all really inspired by the generosity of our co-workers who give back to the community and this program is going to help that individual giving go even farther.

Starting September 15, when you give money to a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, Apple will match your gift dollar-for-dollar, up to $10,000 annually. This program will be for full-time employees in the US at first, and we'll expand it to other parts of the world over time.

Thank you all for working so hard to make a difference, both here at Apple and in the lives of others. I am incredibly proud to be part of this team.

If you'd like more information on the program, you can get it on HRWeb, which can be easily accessed through AppleWeb.

Tim
An Apple spokesperson has confirmed to MacRumors that the program is indeed now in place.

Steve Jobs' lack of a public record of philanthropy was highlighted just last week, with U2 singer Bono coming to Jobs' defense and noting that Apple has contributed "tens of millions of dollars" to the (Product)RED campaign against AIDS.

Article Link: Apple Institutes New Charitable Matching Program for Employees

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I would rather this Cook fellow concentrate on the yellow shading in the Google icon instead of nonsense like charitable matching.

ajphares

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2010
Google has been doing this for years, good to see a Cook led Apple join the party.

iLunar

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2006
Full match up to $10K is impressive. Well done Tim.

It's a really great idea, and doesn't effect Apple's bottom line much, either. If all 50,000 Apple employees gave a max of $10,000, it'd be $500 million dollars -- not a whole lot in the scheme of $76 billion dollars.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Now if they could sort out these crazy lawsuits (such as that recent Chinese food company logo). Good move :)

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
Does this include people who donate 10% of their income as a tithing to their church? I suppose it would....

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I think its pretty cool to find out this stuff. Respect to all those who help out people less fortunate than others, that includes huge corporations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Taxes vs charity

Since donating for charity is tax deductible, maybe SJ thought that our roads are already so bad, he'd rather pay tax than charity. Dunno. I'm so low on income that it doesn't make a difference what I donate. That's for working for a State of the Union. Benefits are good though...:)

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Most likely wouldn't have happened with SJ at the helm. Infact he cut out charity when he came back.

Yes, given the fact that Apple was near bankruptcy. I don't expect you to give out $100 in charity when you are $1000s in debt or need to eat and have only that money left.

His decision makes sense. However, if we also look at this, Apple did not play the publicity card with this new charity work. They are keeping it to themselves, but sites like MR make it news for us. So in a sense they are doing a better job than other companies because they keep their charitable contributions anonymous rather than scream them to the 4 winds. Much more noble.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple has launched a new charitable matching program for its employees, with the company offering to match employees' personal charitable contributions up to $10,000 per year. The program is currently limited to full-time U.S. employees, with plans to expand it to other countries over time. The new program was announced today in a company-wide email sent by new Apple CEO Tim Cook and provided to MacRumors.An Apple spokesperson has confirmed to MacRumors that the program is indeed now in place.

Steve Jobs' lack of a public record of philanthropy was highlighted just last week, with U2 singer Bono coming to Jobs' defense and noting that Apple has contributed "tens of millions of dollars" to the (Product)RED campaign against AIDS.

Article Link: Apple Institutes New Charitable Matching Program for Employees

So here is my plan.
1. Form a 503 (c) (3) corporation - 500.00 at most
2. Make friends with an Apple employee at my local genius bar
3. Have him donate 10,000 to my non-profit
4. Collect an additional 10,000 from Apple
5. Give him 12,000 back
6. Profit 7,500

juliandroms

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2011
Gag

Waste of corporate resources, including valuable time managing the program. Arbitrary and ripe for abuse. Incompatible with Jobs' successful policy of simplifying and focusing on making great products.

Overall a bad sign for the future of the company. Suggests that management feels the need to maintain power by playing a political game, and "being nice" rather than performing well and producing great products.

Another great American company will likely go down the tubes after Jobs is gone. It won't be long before the Chinese own, design and produce everything of importance.

I prefer Steve Jobs's approach, as he expounded on it when he came before the Cupertino local government people when unveiling the "Spaceship One" proposal. I don't remember the exact wording, but it was something like, "I'm a simple guy. The way I see it, we pay the taxes, and you guys [the government] provide the public services." This was in response to someone on the city council suggesting they could "do something for the community" as for example Google providing free Wifi in the town surrounding their headquarters.

Apple pays taxes. So do their employees, who only have jobs and pay taxes because Apple is successful. That's your charity right there. Steve Jobs has provided for far more charity than just about any other CEO in the country over the last decades.

This despite what journalists wanna-be-productive-members-of-society "choose your favorite charity" dilettantes have been writing about Jobs in the last several months. Way to dance on a better man's grave just before he seems likely to pass away.

Oh well, just another lame political game that is little more than a distraction to people doing their jobs and doing them well. Like I said, a bad omen. Either this will be a program with poor oversight that is likely to be abused, or it will be a distraction to management. In any case, it never makes sense to throw money around wantonly when times are good, because chances are, they won't always be so good. You think the folks at Apple would know this more than others. Just follow the rules and pay your taxes. That's all they need to do.

Id' be happy if whoever is responsible for bringing this to fruition at Apple got demoted.

Last edited:

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Does this include people who donate 10% of their income as a tithing to their church? I suppose it would....

As long as the church is a registered charity, I don't see why not. I didn't even think of church when I read the article; these days my tithe is directed not at my church (which, frankly, is doing just fine without my help) but to another local charity I volunteer with (a kids' summer camp).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.