Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

adobe_premiere_pro_5_5_box-150x150.jpg

As first tipped by The Loop late yesterday, Adobe today revealed in a broad press release on its video technologies that its video content creation tools have seen sales increase by 45% on the Mac side this year. Adobe cites switchers from Apple's much-maligned Final Cut Pro X as the primary driver for the growth.
Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Production Premium software has taken the industry by storm with breakthrough new features and performance that help video professionals deliver content to virtually any screen. Demand for Adobe's video content creation tools has exploded, growing 22 percent year-over-year with 45 percent growth on the Mac, fueled by the large number of Apple Final Cut Pro customers switching to Adobe Premiere Pro.
Following the poor reception of Final Cut Pro X, Adobe quickly took advantage of the situation to offer significant "switcher" discounts to users moving from either Final Cut Pro or Avid's Media Composer to Adobe's Creative Suite CS5.5 Production Premium or Premiere Pro CS5.5 packages. The program, limited to commercial customers, offers 50% of the standard cost of Adobe's applicable products.

Article Link: Apple's Final Cut Pro X Woes Boost Sales of Adobe Video Tools for Mac by 45%

R2D2 xx

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use Adobe Premiere 5.5 on my Mac Pro. Love it. I dont know what Apple was thinking with Final Cut X. Fail.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
For the naysayers who believe that FCPX was widely adopted and that users will just adapt - this is evidence of the contrary.

I believe Apple could have avoided this by waiting on the release until it had resolved some of the features it lacked. Or if FCPX was marketed differently and FCP 3 wasn't pulled at the same time.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Apple is capable of making mistakes and bad choices, just like any other company. They aren't infallible.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I'm an FCPX hater, but just because I don't like the new version doesn't mean I need to immediately jump ship and go learn a new editing platform. FCP7 is still there and still awesome.

MondayNgt

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2004
Final Cut X was always a solution in search of a problem. The workflow that NLE's like the classic Final Cut Pro and others established worked and has worked very efficiently. If anything else, I think all a lot of people wanted out of a Final Cut update was a 64-bit upgrade to better support newer equipment.

But that's a dead horse argument, fast forward to now and here is the result. Even if sticking with the classic Final Cut, it's the end of the line for that program and if an editor MUST learn a new program eventually, it's smarter to invest long-term into Adobe or Avid as professionals are their primary market, whereas consumers are for Apple.

Aside from that, Premiere supports many file formats, integrates very well with all your other Adobe apps, is comfortable to switch over to if familiar with Final Cut classic and most of all, CAN import your old Final Cut files (unlike FCPX). It's really a no-brainer move and makes sense why sales are up.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I'm an FCPX hater, but just because I don't like the new version doesn't mean I need to immediately jump ship and go learn a new editing platform. FCP7 is still there and still awesome.

I think some ppl were thinking long term about their production shops and jumped ship maybe too fast. they wanted certain features or saw FCP X's lack of certain features and bailed before Apple could make amends - which is the right of those shops.

For me, FCP7 still works as well. I'm a little perturbed at not maximizing my mac pro's cores for renders and exports and am thinking about fcpx. I'm a one man shop so it might just work for me.

i'm not surprised by this report. i envision adobe employees putting apple stickers on their cubicle walls and hi-fiving the stickers - as they should!

Apple blew this one imho.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I attended an Adobe seminar once at a cinema (they had booked it out). They showed off the new CS4 (at the time), and I was blown away with the stuff they were doing with Premier and After Effects.

Unfortunately, I was too adjusted to doing things with Final Cut that switching to Premier would be a painful process of relearning. That's pretty much the only reason I haven't switched.

Maybe Apple should just do OS and hardware for professionals.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
The question is whether the switchers stay with Adobe for the coming years.

A hobbyist like me can probably switch at the drop of a hat ("Hmm, I didn't like using that one, for my next project I'll switch to the other one") but anyone in a professional capacity -- and anyone working in a group environment -- isn't going to have time or money to waste switching back and forth between platforms. You pick one, you learn it, you stick with it.

Once gone, these people are going to take a LOT of convincing to switch back to FCP.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I just bought the Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium package myself. With that 50% discount it was cheaper than a single Photoshop Extended license, which really was the only thing I genuinely needed. And I didn’t even have to offer proof of owning FCP. Well done Adobe!

jpthebean

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
I've used Adobe Premiere and it's just a poorly executed clone of Final Cut. In fact, all the negative criticism I've seen amounts to nothing but elitist whining to the tune of "How dare the developers change the software I use in a way that impacts my workflow." The only mistake that Apple made was in not accounting for how stuck in their ways everyone is and I think that's a good mistake to make.

FCPX represents a substantial step forward while Avid and Premiere cling to the same clumsy interface and poor implementation that they've used for years. Beyond that, though, these sales figures tell us nothing about FCPX's user reception. It's a reaction to a very large sale that Adobe's been running and nothing more.

casademike

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
I'm not sure this number is quite as substantive as Adobe makes it out to be. Like a few others have mentioned. We just needed a copy of After Effects and it was cheaper to buy the promotional bundle than the program by itself. We didn't by any means switch from our FCP workflow in the studio.

But hey, competition is always good.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Funny how it took a mistake by Apple rather than any virtues in Adode's Creative Suite for some people to make a change.

Now that Apple has made Final Cut Studio available once again, I'm sure many will come back. FCP has always been a much better video editing program than Premier, IMO.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

So, they cut the price in half and sold… 43% more?

Not necessarily the win it would seem.

(it's still probably a good thing for adobe to get users on their base, just saying it's more complicated than "see, apple blew it).

drewyboy

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
I personally hate Premiere Pro (cs4). I used it ever day for a year and a half and grew to despise it. So for those of you who hate FCPX, there are those of us that hate PPro and are more than happy to work w/ FPC7/FCPX.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

looks like mr cook or my jobs - needs to chew out the final cut team - just like mr jobs did for the mobile me team - to get their act together

"shame shame shame..." gomer pyle - circa 1965

jpthebean

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Haha. And Final Cut was the first of it's kind.. of course.

No one said that being first was important. Saying that Premiere is a poorly executed FCP clone points out that Adobe's only concern has been to make an application as much like FCP as possible. They have not added any functionality above what FCP had and many of their mirrored functions don't work as well as the FCP equivalent.

----------

Just letting you know, Randy Ubillos, head of the FCP team, created the first three versions of Premiere.

That simply supports my point. Adobe is only concerned with making Premiere like FCP. They've sacrificed quality in the process.

yoink

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
And that figure doesn't give the whole gist of it. There are many small shops, like ours, that already had a few seats of Adobe's Production Premium for PSx, AI, and AE which also shipped with Premiere Pro. Only now we have a reason to try it out - and for the most part it's been quite good.

The thing is that many assets, even in an FCP-centric workflow, were Photoshop, Illustrator, or After Effects sourced, so it's not that big of a jump. Making splices is still making splices *cough* any way you cut it *cough* (I couldn't resist.)

I'm sure FCPX will improve. FCP 1 was the low-end "DV" editor at the time and look what it became...

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
No one said that being first was important. Saying that Premiere is a poorly executed FCP clone points out that Adobe's only concern has been to make an application as much like FCP as possible. They have not added any functionality above what FCP had and many of their mirrored functions don't work as well as the FCP equivalent.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but FCP7 doesn't natively import AVCHD and many (most?) of the other file based video formats?

That's a pretty big feature which many shops are transitioning too?

Maybe FCPx does, but their lack of a multi-user sharing capability counteracts?

btw, does anyone know if Encore comes with the $179 Premiere or the $399 Production Premium only? I can't seem to find where it lists what's included with Premiere (no "What's Inside" like the Prod. Premium page).

I have to admit, I'm looking for something to max my cores and natively import the MTS files (saving of re-wrap time) and not sure if I should jump ship to Adobe or go FCPx. The latter without a trial, is a pain.

ugh.

can't shy away from 50% off. might go with the adobe trial to see how it truly works

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.