Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Hey Guys

I have a new i5 Mac Mini and has been working fine but i keep having ethernet problems this is the 2nd time its happened now but my internet speed just drops from 22mb to 3.5mb.

First time it done it i thought i was the cable so swapped them over and it worked fine and now its doing it again.

WiFi is fine as you can see

But when connecting via ether net

Ive checked the ethernet network settings and for some reason its at 10mbps and if you change it to 100/1000mbps it says cable is not connected. I'm using a CaT5e cable.

Help

Matt

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
So a single cable runs all the way from your Mini to the modem or do you have other devices in-between?

How long is the cable?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Call your ISP provider and they may do a test at their end to trouble shoot.

Good luck

standingquiet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I left the Ethernet unplugged for a while plugged it back in and it went back to 1000Mbps and the speed went back up.

I still don't understand why it is doing it and not on my other computers including MacBook Pro.

Matt

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
The Broadcom ethernet adapter in the Mini is one with "extended" range GigE capability. For example, the 2011 mini is the only device in our household that can connect at GigE speed on the built in jacks. All other devices max at 100M. This "special" capability negotiation may be causing your problem.

balamuralig

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2011
Works fine now

My Mac mini wireless was working fine but the ethernet was extremely slow (Crawling). After many hours of debugging, I compared both the configuration and found on the ethernet in the Advanced settings - DNS tab the IP was set to 127.0.0.1. I changed it to the router IP (192.168.0.1) and it resolved the issue. Now both wireless and ethernet are very fast.

I think the default configuration of 127.0.0.1 is the culprit and changing it to router IP resolved the issue.

Please give this a try and hope it helps others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.