Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:19 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Security Update 2011-005 for OS X to Address Compromised Certificates

Apple today released Security Update 2011-005 for OS X, a small update addressing a specific security issue related to fraudulent certificates from DigiNotar.
Quote:
Impact: An attacker with a privileged network position may intercept user credentials or other sensitive information

Description: Fraudulent certificates were issued by multiple certificate authorities operated by DigiNotar. This issue is addressed by removing DigiNotar from the list of trusted root certificates, from the list of Extended Validation (EV) certificate authorities, and by configuring default system trust settings so that DigiNotar's certificates, including those issued by other authorities, are not trusted.
DigiNotar's servers were compromised several weeks ago, with hackers obtaining access to hundreds of certificates. Apple has been criticized for being slow to respond to the issue, but is now doing so today by revoking DigiNotar's status as a trusted source.
Quote:
DigiNotar, one of hundreds of firms authorized to issue digital certificates that authenticate a website's identity, admitted on Aug. 30 that its servers were compromised weeks earlier. A report made public Monday said that hackers had acquired 531 certificates, including many used by the Dutch government, and that DigiNotar was unaware of the intrusion for weeks.
Available updates include:

- Security Update 2011-005 (Lion) (15.59 MB)
- Security Update 2011-005 (Snow Leopard) (869 KB)

Article Link: Apple Releases Security Update 2011-005 for OS X to Address Compromised Certificates

Last edited by WildCowboy; Sep 9, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:22 PM   #2
tigres
macrumors 68040

Why the big file size difference?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:23 PM   #3
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Nice to see Apple was on top of things and that some people were ranting over nothing.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:26 PM   #4
lucascampelo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigres View Post
Why the big file size difference?
Actually, depends on the system. I'm running lion on a macbook air 2011 and it was only a couple hundred KB..
lucascampelo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:27 PM   #5
applefan289
macrumors 68000

Yeah, mine took no time to download and I'm on a 27" iMac running Lion...so it must have only been a few kilobytes for me.
applefan289 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:29 PM   #6
iekozz
macrumors member

Little note: If you're using Chrome or Firefox on OS X, you where already protected. But it's nice that Apple has finally released a security update for OS X.
iekozz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:29 PM   #7
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Something this serious should see updates to Leopard and Tiger as well since some in-service computers require older OS's.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:30 PM   #8
MJedi
macrumors 6502

Do the compromised certificates only exist on Snow Leopard and Lion?

What about Leopard?
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:31 PM   #9
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
Nice to see Apple was on top of things and that some people were ranting over nothing.
It took them long enough, everyone else already had it covered.

So, I think it is still a valid rant.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:31 PM   #10
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Something this serious should see updates to Leopard and Tiger as well since some in-service computers require older OS's.
Like stated previously, don't use Safari, use Chrome or Firefox on an older computer while they are still supported.

Commercial vendors are quicker to end of life software than the open source community, it's just the way of the world unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress666 View Post
It took them long enough, everyone else already had it covered.

So, I think it is still a valid rant.
Seeing how the article is a day old and this patch comes along, seems to me they were late rather than "not on top of things".

They didn't start working on this yesterday, maybe they caught something in Q&A that delayed things a bit. It's just the reality of software development.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:35 PM   #11
stanton
macrumors member

Quote:
I wouldn't say they were ranting for nothing especially if you live in Iran, where most of the poisoned DNS servers were located. They had control of every .com, .org, and allot of individual certificates for google.com, facebook.com, etc... Everyone in that country now should change every username/password just to make sure that they didn't accidentally give thier bank info to a 3rd party.

For the complete list you can read the IT analysis at: http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/bestande...tulip-v1-0.pdf

Last edited by stanton; Sep 9, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
stanton is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Custommm
macrumors member

It's about time!

Why Apple taking so much time addressing those issue.... You guys a lagging big time! Still love you soooo much . But switch gear regarding security update!!!!
Custommm is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:49 PM   #13
mysticalos
macrumors member

this update appears to be in 10.7.2 already that was seeded a week ago, so that means apple has had fix ready for at least 7 days, so if they delayed it for 10.7.1 they probably had a reason.
mysticalos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 12:51 PM   #14
FourCandles
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan289 View Post
Yeah, mine took no time to download and I'm on a 27" iMac running Lion...so it must have only been a few kilobytes for me.
Likewise, I'm on Snow Leopard and update was 188KB.
FourCandles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:04 PM   #15
AppliedMicro
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They didn't start working on this yesterday, maybe they caught something in Q&A that delayed things a bit.
Removing compromised root certificates isn't rocket science.

There is simply no excuse for Apple taking almost two weeks longer than Microsoft to release this update - with Microsoft having to cover way more OS releases and update/service pack configurations than Apple.
AppliedMicro is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:12 PM   #16
doboy
macrumors 65816

Now we just need the update for Safari on iOS devices

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:14 PM   #17
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Apple is a week behind everyone else! Irresponsible!
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:17 PM   #18
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Apple is not ready to have its OSX as popular as Microsoft Windows.
brdeveloper is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:22 PM   #19
igazza
macrumors 6502a

small update, but not the smallest
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:31 PM   #20
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

I've disabled that certificate and many useless ones weeks ago. Even linux was updated first.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:36 PM   #21
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by igazza View Post
small update, but not the smallest
How small can it get? it was 188kb for me on 2010 MBA running Lion
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:40 PM   #22
goosnarrggh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Like stated previously, don't use Safari, use Chrome or Firefox on an older computer while they are still supported.
If you're still using Tiger or Leopard, odds are you're doing so because your hardware cannot support Snow Leopard or Lion. (There are always exceptions, and for these, I apologize for the generalization.)

These people must be running PPC-based Macs, and therefore cannot run any of the official releases of Chrome at all. (I'm not sure if anybody's unofficially compiled open source Chromium for PPC Mac OS X.)

However, official builds of Firefox 3.6.x runs on all Macs, including PPC models, going all the way back to Tiger. And there's already a Firefox 3.6.x patch to fix this problem.

And there are 3rd party builds based upon Firefox, not under Mozilla's direct control, using the same codebase as Firefox 4/5/6/7, which are compatible with all G3, G4, and G5 Macs running Tiger and Leopard with at least 512 MB of RAM. I know of at least one which released a 6.0.1 patch containing this fix.

(By the way: I certainly hope that all PPC Mac users out there have uninstalled their Flash players by now. It is now a dangerous source of open security flaws which Adobe has NO plans to EVER fix.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
I've disabled that certificate and many useless ones weeks ago. Even linux was updated first.
Apparently, there's an unexpected behaviour in OS X: Even after you've used the Keychain manager to manually revoke a certificate authority, if Safari encounters a so-called "Extended Validation" certificate, it will ignore the fact that you've revoked the CA and silently accept the certificate anyway.

Presumably, this fix for Snow Leopard and Lion gets around this quirk.
goosnarrggh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:42 PM   #23
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosnarrggh View Post
Apparently, there's an unexpected behaviour in OS X: Even if you've manually revoked a certificate authority, if Safari encounters a so-called "Extended Validation" certificate, it will ignore the fact that you've revoked the CA and silently accept the certificate anyway.

Presumably, this fix for Snow Leopard and Lion gets around this quirk.
Yay for not using safari
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:43 PM   #24
MacNut
macrumors P6

I stopped using Safari and switched to Chrome, a much better browser IMO.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 01:43 PM   #25
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Being the last major vendor to release an update is not "being on top of things". Even Adobe moved faster.

iOS is still vulnerable.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion