Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

adobe_flash_media_server_4_5.jpg

Adobe yesterday announced the release of Flash Media Server 4.5 and Flash Access 3.0, updated tools to allow publishers to host streaming Flash video content. As noted by Computerworld, the release includes a new solution to allow Flash content to be repackaged and streamed to iOS devices, which famously do not support Flash Player directly.
"With Adobe Flash Media Server 4.5, media publishers now have a single, simple workflow for delivering content using the same stream to Flash-enabled devices or to the Apple iPhone and iPad."

In other words, Adobe's solution repackages content in real-time, changing the protocol to suit the target device, HTTP Dynamic Streaming or HLS, for example. This should mean that iOS devices will get much of the advantages of Flash video support, without the processor degradation and battery life cost of the format in use on other devices.
Consequently, as media publishers begin to adopt the new Adobe software, they will be able to easily deliver HTML5-compatible content to mobile devices alongside the traditional Flash Player content. Because the feature utilizes video streaming technology rather than running the Flash content directly on the device, it does not yet support interactive Flash content such as games and banner ads, but the ability to access streaming Flash video on iOS devices will certainly be a welcome addition for many users.

A number of media providers have of course already taken to providing HTML5 versions of their video content in order to bring compatibility to iOS devices, but direct integration of the functionality into Flash Media Server should simplify the process for those content providers who have invested in the platform.

Article Link: Adobe Flash Media Server 4.5 Brings Flash Video Streaming to iOS Devices

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
You know, I suppose this is basically good news. Flash support (kinda) for iOS without having to build it in...

Does feel like a bit too little too late though. At least the boxes are pretty.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Wow. Seems like a great thing, don't know what the android boys will have to argue against compared to their local flash installation crap.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
This is what a good company does - find and provide a solution to a problem.

Now imagine if Adobe had released this during all that time they spent publicly fighting with Apple - they'd have a year or more of profit to account for.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Flash support (kinda) for iOS without having to build it in...

don't know what the android boys will have to argue against compared to their local flash installation crap.

You both realise that streaming video is only a very small part of what Flash can do right ?

I bet the Android boys still have plenty of other advantages to their native Flash support, like you know, actually being able to play around on newgrounds or something. ;)

ARandomFellow

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
Wow. Seems like a great thing, don't know what the android boys will have to argue against compared to their local flash installation crap.

I think they will be mad that this new, more efficient method of streaming will only go to iOS devices and blame Apple for forcing them to continue to use their antiquated, memory hogging, local Flash installations and which slow down and/or crash and run their devices out of battery. Which of course they will package in a neat little pouty phrase like "yeah, you need to use this new, sissy Flash because Apple sucks".

mozart11

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
Flash? The ONLY app/plugin that crashes my computers everyday?

Flash? Being an owner of iPhones - 3 - from the original launch, upgrading each update to currently 3 iPhone4's - people miss Flash on their iPhone device for? What? You need your iPhones to crash all day long? Which Flash is perfect for.

Flash exists for advertising. So people want MORE advertising on their iPhone?

Even Google knew not to use Flash on the iPhone. Now if Google could learn and make YouTube not use Flash - computers would crash 100% less a day for all people.

Flash = nightmare crashes for all devices.

Macman1993

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2007
This is excellent news, I'm glad to see adobe innovating to support modern standards.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Yeah... too bad it doesn't do any of that other stuff very well. If it did, it would be awesome.

It doesn't ? I could swear I've been playing Actionscript games and watching vector graphic animations since the late 90s using Flash...

Good thing you've now told me it doesn't work. ;)

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I think this is a good solution and a reasonable compromise in the flash video area. Not everyone will upgrade but this will be a big plus to the big companies with flash video. Dynamic transcoding is pretty common on telephony so it should work just fine in video.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
About 2-3 years too late, answering a question that's already been answered by others, to the satisfaction of consumers.

ARandomFellow

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
It doesn't ? I could swear I've been playing Actionscript games and watching vector graphic animations since the late 90s using Flash...

Never said it doesn't work. I said it doesn't work well. It works just fine except when it crashes or drags your browser or device to a standstill, which it does far too often.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
But all non-iOS devices will continue to see processor degradation and battery issues and memory issue. Sounds like a perfectly stupid plan.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA

He's clearly talking about it not working on mobile devices not very well, and indeed, i've seen flashed based games work very poorly on android devices.

I am not sure these days anymore though, I'll try kongregate later.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Never said it doesn't work. I said it doesn't work well. It works just fine except when it crashes or drags your browser or device to a standstill, which it does far too often.

I haven't had a Flash crash on vector animations/Action script games in.. forever.

And since this was back on P2-333, running with the sorry Linux version of Flash player, I doubt it could drag my MBA to a standstill (in fact, it doesn't when playing Dragon Age Legends on Google+).

He's clearly talking about it not working on mobile devices not very well, and indeed, i've seen flashed based games work very poorly on android devices.

I am not sure these days anymore though, I'll try kongregate later.

I don't have an Android device, but my on HP TouchPad, it works just fine too. Didn't have a crash related to Flash yet (though I haven't used it much, as I have no real use for a tablet).

But all non-iOS devices will continue to see processor degradation and battery issues and memory issue. Sounds like a perfectly stupid plan.

My iOS phone already has battery issues when doing anything other than letting it sit there. Playing 3D games or watching video on it just sucks up that juice like there's no tomorrow.

Hint : All processor intensive tasks drain the battery, that's just a reality we need to live with.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Flash exists for advertising. So people want MORE advertising on their iPhone?

Even Google knew not to use Flash on the iPhone. Now if Google could learn and make YouTube not use Flash - computers would crash 100% less a day for all people.

Flash = nightmare crashes for all devices.

Well, if you actually read the freaking article, it said it is for video only. Not adds.

Second, go to youtube.com/html5 and join the beta in, omg, 1 click.

sishaw

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2005
You both realise that streaming video is only a very small part of what Flash can do right ?

Yes, Flash can also interpose a meaningless animation between you and the website you are trying to access, create siezure-inducing ads featuring flashing lights and, often, animated monkeys, and make those Beavis & Butthead animations that you find all over. Yup.

Very, very rarely some rather nice interactive content can be provided, but you have to REALLY hunt for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.