Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
"To install the updates, you must restart your computer."
It is good to reboot your computer every once in a while.

The fact that it takes Apple a week to patch a major security flaw and then doesn't hit every version is a good reason not to ever use Safari.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

When the update involves replacing an already-running system service that cannot be shut down on the fly without destabilizing everything else that depends upon it, that's the price you pay. Is it really such a big deal?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil

Reboots remind me the monolithic kernel era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XNU
"Like some other modern kernels, XNU is a hybrid, containing features of both monolithic and microkernels, attempting to make the best use of both technologies, such as the message passing capability of microkernels enabling greater modularity and larger portions of the OS to benefit from protected memory, as well as retaining the speed of monolithic kernels for certain critical tasks."

finkmacunix

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

No way I'm switching to FireFox or Chrome… I don't like tabbed browsing, and Safari seems to have a better UI than the other ones… I do have FireFox installed for some of the plugind…

I even use Safari in parallels…

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
This update removes all trust in DigiNotar as a certificate authority.

This action is due to the security industry justifiably no longer trusting DigiNotar.

But, Lion users by default and SL users that have enabled OCSP and CRL were potentially protected from the specific compromised DigiNotar certificates prior to this update.

See the quote below for details:

Not totally sure about this but I believe DigiNotar has already released CRLs for the compromised certificates so if you have system-wide OCSP and CRL enabled in Keychain Access, the issue is already mitigated.

These features are enabled by default in Lion.

Apparently, DigiNotar does not make it easy to view each individual certificate that has been revoked via the CRLs it releases.

They might have been added to another CRL, hard to say as DigiNotar does not allow directory listing and doesn't have an easy to find list of CRLs they publish either.

That the revocations happened on July 19th, 21st and 27th, and that almost 200 still have an unknown revocation status. [The rogue certificates were issued on July 10th, 18th and 20th].

But, compromised certificates that have been seen in the wild have been revoked.

So, it appears that some action is being taken via CRLs.

http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=11500&rss

It should be noted that if all these certificates have been revoked via CRLs than Safari has actually provided better protection than other browsers that have only recently received updates to mitigate this issue.

----------

Do the compromised certificates only exist on Snow Leopard and Lion? :confused:

What about Leopard?

Enable OCSP and CRL in the "Keychain Access" preferences.

See the "Mac Security Suggestions" link in my sig for more details (see #14).

Ptit

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
moon
hmmm i bet apple took their sweet time compromising these sites themselves, well ok maybe they got others to do it

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Enable OCSP and CRL in the "Keychain Access" preferences.

See the "Mac Security Suggestions" link in my sig for more details (see #14).

Apparently, from what I've read, when people used the Kaychain manager to manually remove DigiNotar as a CA, they were able to demonstrate websites known to be using DigiNotar certificates, still being silently accepted in Safari. This was due to a quirk in the way in which OS X handled so-called "EV Certificates".

Are you certain that enabling OCSP and CRL would not also leave you at the mercy of OS X's quirky handling of "EV Certificates"?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

No way I'm switching to FireFox or Chrome… I don't like tabbed browsing, and Safari seems to have a better UI than the other ones… I do have FireFox installed for some of the plugind…

Isn't Safari tabbed browsing? As for the UI, thats not the most important part of a web browser. The way it displays the page is what you should care about.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

No way I'm switching to FireFox or Chrome… I don't like tabbed browsing,...
You know, you can configure Firefox to take away tabbed browsing if you want.
...and Safari seems to have a better UI than the other ones… I do have FireFox installed for some of the plugind…

If you're running Lion or Snow Leopard, there's no reason for you to switch.

If you're using Leopard or older, then you may be exposing yourself to unnecessary risk.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The only problem I can see with Chrome is that it doesn't save enough web history without having to expand the window.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Apparently, from what I've read, when people used the Kaychain manager to manually remove DigiNotar as a CA, they were able to demonstrate websites known to be using DigiNotar certificates, still being silently accepted in Safari. This was due to a quirk in the way in which OS X handled so-called "EV Certificates".

Are you certain that enabling OCSP and CRL would not also leave you at the mercy of OS X's quirky handling of "EV Certificates"?

OCSP and CRL do not remove the DigiNotar trusted root certificate.

But, it does revoke access to websites that use known compromised certificates from any certificate issuing authority.

The websites that could be accessed that had DigiNotar certificates were not websites that had their certificate revoked via CRLs.

To clarify, CRL revokes certificates issued to specific websites if the certificate is known to be compromised but it does not revoke root certificates for certificate authorities.

The extra measure of removing DigiNotar from the list of trusted certificate authorities is due to the security industry no longer trusting the procedures used by DigiNotar.

EDIT: BTW, the EV certificate quirk was from users only removing the DigiNotar root certificate. DigiNotar also needed to be removed from the list of Extended Validation (EV) certificate authorities as well. This is essentially what this update accomplishes.

Last edited:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin

What about Leopard?

Leopard? Gee, what about providing leaded gasoline for my 1985 Ford?

----------

Why Apple taking so much time addressing those issue.... You guys a lagging big time! Still love you soooo much :). But switch gear regarding security update!!!!

I have a feeling that OSX is a bit more complex than a browser. The amount of testing needed to validate the fix has to be unbelievable complex and time consuming.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

What about Leopard?
Basically older Safari versions have become about as secure as older versions of IE. And Safari has become about as unstable and buggy as IE.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
It is good to reboot your computer every once in a while.
But I shouldn't have to--that's one of the things I like about OS X and dislike (or disliked--it's getting better) about Windows. Plus, I can keep my Mac up for weeks, sometimes months, at a time without any problems--and iOS devices for even longer.

finkmacunix

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011

MacNut said:
finkmacunix said:

Isn't Safari tabbed browsing? As for the UI, thats not the most important part of a web browser. The way it displays the page is what you should care about.

In that case, I use Safari because Captchas don't view correctly in FireFox, as for Chrome… Well, it uses WebKit… and Safari is WebKit based as well… And Safari can run chrome Angry Birds… I'm not fond of the Chrome UI… I don't even Browse the Web on non-Intel machines… Safari is windowm-based until you Command-T and a bew tab come up

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Seems DigiNotar may not be the only target.

Where to from here? Who are the other 3?

http://www.globalsign.com/company/press/090611-security-response.html

On Sep 5th 2011 the individual/group previously confirmed to have hacked several Comodo resellers, claimed responsibility for the recent DigiNotar hack. In his message posted on Pastebin, he also referred to having access to 4 further high profile Certificate Authorities, and named GlobalSign as one of the 4.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
If you're still using Leopard or earlier and wish to remove the compromised certificates, you can do so manually by issuing the commands below in terminal (you need an admin account). This works even when attempting to untrust or delete the certificates via Keychain Access does not:

sudo security delete-certificate -Z C060ED44CBD881BD0EF86C0BA287DDCF8167478C /System/Library/Keychains/SystemRootCertificates.keychain

sudo security delete-certificate -Z 59AF82799186C7B47507CBCF035746EB04DDB716 /System/Library/Keychains/SystemRootCertificates.keychain

sudo security delete-certificate -Z 101DFA3FD50BCBBB9BB5600C1955A41AF4733A04 /System/Library/Keychains/SystemRootCertificates.keychain

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
When none of us were looking, IE went and grew up.

Too bad it's still the little kid on the block by a few inches when it comes to standards support though. There is no excuse for the biggest software company in the world to not have implemented the W3C and the WhatWG standards at this point, especially in light of open source groups having done so.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
The link provided below is Apple's documentation for enabling OCSP and CRL in Leopard.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/9085.html

----------

Too bad it's still the little kid on the block by a few inches when it comes to standards support though. There is no excuse for the biggest software company in the world to not have implemented the W3C and the WhatWG standards at this point, especially in light of open source groups having done so.

Also, MS is not even attempting to support WebGL in IE because graphic drivers in Windows are too buggy and IE's sandbox is too weak to give remote code direct access those kernel level drivers.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
iOS is still vulnerable. The fragmentation of iOS devices could be the hold up here and it seems that when we need a prompt update, we won't get it.

Unlike on a Mac, you can't do it manually and there isn't a viable alternative browser option (and many apps use Safari to retrieve content anyway).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.