Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that home improvement store chain Lowe's is deploying 42,000 iPhone 4 devices to its workers next month.
Next month, Lowe's will introduce its MyLowes online tool that customers will be able to use to store owner's manuals, warranties and paint formulas, Chief Information Officer Mike Brown said in an interview. The Mooresville, North Carolina- based company is arming workers with 42,000 iPhone 4s to answer shoppers' questions and ring up purchases.
The move is an attempt to better compete with rival Home Depot, which introduced a similar program last year with Motorola handhelds.

Each store will be receiving 25 devices that "will be enabled for mobile calling, e-mailing and text-messaging as well as processing credit and debit card purchases".

Article Link: Lowe's to Deploy 42,000 iPhone 4 Devices to Stores

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Amazing!

42,000 x $? = a good day's sales.

In the larger picture a drop in the bucket - but Apple keeps doing it over and over.

Pretty impressive.:)

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Seems to me Lowe's could have saved much money by using iPod Touches and having Wifi in their stores. They might have Wifi already. Doesn't seem like they need a phone for this.

j-traxx

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2005
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Huge big box store. Where is the lumber manager brad? Find my manager. Bam. Gps. iPhone over iPad.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Seems to me Lowe's could have saved much money by using iPod Touches and having Wifi in their stores. They might have Wifi already. Doesn't seem like they need a phone for this.

Unless Apple gave them some kind of deal to boost their iPhone 4 sales figures...not that they necessarily need a boost, but 42k orders is a nice order and gets Apple that much closer to being #1 in the Smartphone market. Apple doesn't need to be #1 in the MP3 Player market...have been for a long time.

The Touches run at about $229 and $299...iPhone 4's could have been matched in price (or come very close) to make it more attractive.

So who's the carrier? ATT?

joelobrien

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am a Lowes employee. We started using the iPhones in our store (1522) last week. They are using the phones because they plan to replace our landlines with them. The store does run the phones off of wifi. If a unit is taken from the store, it fails to operate except for the gps locating services. So far they have made things much easier in the store. It doesn't carry all the operations of an LRT scangun but does seem to facilitate things by giving us the ability to scan stock and see general information.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008

Attachments

• data-500x339.jpg
    data-500x339.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 186

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Maybe wait a month for the iPhone 5?

In a matter of speaking, yes! Even if Apple drops the price of the iPhone 4 when the next one arrives (hopefully soon!) they will undoubtedly see a drop in demand. So how do you move 40,000 units of last year's product? Sell it Lowe's of course.

Now, Apple is a master at supply/demand/etc. and this deal has probably been in the works for a while, but its still a good use of a previous generation product.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Update: oops looks like it's answered above.

Yeah, that would have saved money. Interesting that they didn't do iPod touch with the case that provides credit card etc functions.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
now one of the reasons you won't get any help at lowe's they will be talking on the iphone 4 instead of helping customers.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
But I don't understand how Lowe's can write custom software for it if it's not "open". How can it possibly work! I'm sure businesses will be ordering up Android phones and tablets by the tens of thousands once they catch on.

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

I wonder which MDM will Lowes use to manage that many phones?

Cheerwino

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
S.C.
Sounds good

I can see how this could be very successful. Those stores are huge, so being able to contact other employees and managers to ask questions instead of hoofing it all over the store would be helpful and should speed up shopping. Would also be nice to be able to make purchases on the spot with an associate for items like appliances, paint, locks, lumber and plants.

If you've worked in corporate, you know the cost to implement this kind of initiative in time, training and such far exceeds the actual cost of the devices. As a Lowes shareholder, I'm glad to see them pursuing this strategy. :cool:

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I can see how this could be very successful. Those stores are huge, so being able to contact other employees and managers to ask questions instead of hoofing it all over the store would be helpful and should speed up shopping. Would also be nice to be able to make purchases on the spot with an associate for items like appliances, paint, locks, lumber and plants.

If you've worked in corporate, you know the cost to implement this kind of initiative in time, training and such far exceeds the actual cost of the devices. As a Lowes shareholder, I'm glad to see them pursuing this strategy. :cool:

I agree. I also see where IOS5 and iMessage would be very helpful in communicating with fellow employees via free texting.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.

I best for the cost of bulk data, its cheaper to use a vpn cellular solution than equip all the stores with wifi equipment and have to maintain the setup. If I were ATT I'd put a cell tower on top of every store.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011

If the electricity is out, then so is WiFi. Employees could still stay in touch via 3G if they have to. Plus, WiFi does have a much more limited range than 3G does.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009

Huge big box store. Where is the lumber manager brad? Find my manager. Bam. Gps. iPhone over iPad.

Are you implying that iPad doesn't have GPS? Because 3G iPads do...

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
Bad news for Apple

I think this cheapens the iPhone brand. I hope Apple did not give Lowe's any discount.

Think about it. If you love your iPhone and believe it is a distinguish personal device that sets you apart from those Android phones, why would you want to see a chain hardware store use it as a commodity work tool?

I for one don't think this is a good idea.:mad:

Let Samsung, Motorola etc. play the cheap plastic phone produce in masse game. If Apple play the volume game, then they are surely to loose against the Asian plastic makers. Why would you want to race to the bottom with the Asian clone makers?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I think this cheapens the iPhone brand. I hope Apple did not give Lowe's any discount.

Think about it. If you love your iPhone and believe it is a distinguish personal device that sets you apart from those Android phones, why would you want to see a chain hardware store use it as a commodity work tool?

I for one don't think this is a good idea.:mad:

Let Samsung, Motorola etc. play the cheap plastic phone produce in masse game. If Apple play the volume game, then they are surely to loose against the Asian plastic makers. Why would you want to race to the bottom with the Asian clone makers?

Where do people get this stuff? It's a freaking phone, a tool to get things done. Distinguished personal device. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.