Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thoglives

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Katy, TX
I've been looking around for a StumbleUpon Safari extension, and saw references to one (Stumbli, I believe) but have looked around and not been able to find an updated link to it. Furthermore it seems that StumbleUpon has eliminated the original API that was available at the time Stumbli was written.

So I took it upon myself to use their badge API to create MiniStumble, a minimalistic StumbleUpon extension bar. Currently, all it allows you to do is start stumbling, share the current page, show SU info for the current page and it also attempts to display the page title and number of views as recorded by SU.

I have submitted it to the Apple Extensions Gallery but it hasn't been approved yet. For now, you can grab it from http://www.pyehouse.com/ministumble/ where there's a link to download the package.

I hope you all find this useful.

Regards,

Lynn

thoglives

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Katy, TX
Version 2 (and a big rewrite in progress)

A little more progress, if anyone is interested. The initial release was lackluster, admittedly. It essentially just launched one of a handful of URLs and threw you into the SU toolbar.

I've started pulling the Firefox plugin apart and reverse engineering the protocols used. Now introducing the results of these labors, v2.0. A proper login is now available, along with a proper Stumble button which no longer uses the SU toolbar. Like/Dislike is now available. You may now properly Discover a new page, Show Info (as before) and display Favorites. New windows, when they appear, show up in a less distracting new tab instead of a new window.

More features yet to come.

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
A little more progress, if anyone is interested. The initial release was lackluster, admittedly. It essentially just launched one of a handful of URLs and threw you into the SU toolbar.

I've started pulling the Firefox plugin apart and reverse engineering the protocols used. Now introducing the results of these labors, v2.0. A proper login is now available, along with a proper Stumble button which no longer uses the SU toolbar. Like/Dislike is now available. You may now properly Discover a new page, Show Info (as before) and display Favorites. New windows, when they appear, show up in a less distracting new tab instead of a new window.

More features yet to come.

Thanks. I wonder why the StumbleUpon extension was removed from Safari? I used it all the time. Was it an Apple decision or the developer's?

thoglives

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
Katy, TX
Thanks. I wonder why the StumbleUpon extension was removed from Safari? I used it all the time. Was it an Apple decision or the developer's?

Hi Aaron,

Original developer here. StumbleUpon essentially told me to stop. While I was never actually contacted by their legal team, they said their legal team "may be contacting me." Granted, perhaps it was an empty threat, but it wasn't worth my time to deal with.

Here's the link to my website where I explain what happened and why I pulled it.

http://www.pyehouse.com/2011/09/30/bad-news-for-ministumble-stumbleupon-safari-extension/

aaronvan

Suspended
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
Hi Aaron,

Original developer here. StumbleUpon essentially told me to stop. While I was never actually contacted by their legal team, they said their legal team "may be contacting me." Granted, perhaps it was an empty threat, but it wasn't worth my time to deal with.

Here's the link to my website where I explain what happened and why I pulled it.

http://www.pyehouse.com/2011/09/30/bad-news-for-ministumble-stumbleupon-safari-extension/

Thanks Lynn, that was a nice piece of code. Good work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.