Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Braindead360

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
I find it incredibly difficult to believe that Apple would wait 16 months to improve the processor. I'd be shocked if we do not see two variations of the iPhone next month, one being the cheaper revamped iPhone 4 and the new iPhone 5.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
The iP4 is such a nice, functional, perfect design it would be a waste to drop it after a year just for the sake for having something new. Especially something tapered. Ewwww!

The iP4 reminds me a lot of the Mac Pro case. Futuristic without looking like a spaceship. Maybe it's the symmetry or glass or something. I can't quite put my finger on it.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
It's really starting to seem like we won't getting a big upgrade, which leaves me confused as to why they would wait so long to introduce it.

The iPhone 4 is the number one selling smart phone. Today. Why should they hurry?

This rumor is the most believable to me. A bigger screen calls into question the "retina-ness" of the display. And increasing the resolution means they'll need to support true resolution independence, which developers would have been told about by now. I'm not sure it needs a radical redesign at this point either.

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Wait 15 months and we get the exact same design? I'd pass on that one. No one cares about CPU upgrades, as evidenced by the fact that when the 3GS came out, a lot of people said "meh".

I don't think Apple can get away with a new model using the same design anymore. If your average person can't explain the differences between the models, then it's pretty much as if it never happened.

Windmill360

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
I award you no points... And may God have mercy on your soul, macrumors. It's monday for crying out loud.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
There is not a snowball chance in hell Apple will simply tack on more RAM and the A5 to the iPhone 4 and call it a day.

No way.

You don't take 16 months to release a speed bump. And you certainly don't take 16 months to release a device that looks exactly the same as its predecessor - to regular people, it'll just be another iPhone 4. There's no visual cue to indicate anything's changed.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
:( If this rumor turns out to be true.

The next iPhone is all about taking advantage of key new technologies in the iOS platform. Current generation iPhone models will really struggle to deliver the perfect experience most of us Apple device consumers demand, once iOS 5 launches. But the new iPhone will have incredible processing power and blazing-fast RAM to deliver an awesome mobile experience. It will be so much better than every iPhone model before it, and will of course completely destroy every Android and Windows Phone on the market. So I for one cannot wait to get my hands on one of these bad boys. I'd urge everyone else to upgrade too.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
They can't do this to us!

After waiting 1.5 years for a new iPhone, they can't stiff us with an "S" model... Apple is behind all those great looking 4" Androids... Every iPhone owner admits to drool over the screen size, the thinner factor and overall look of the Android phones.
Not releasing an upgraded 4" screen iPhone with 8MP camera would be the stupidest move ever. Lots of people would be disappointed and pissed off and would definitely sell out to other platforms.
Look what happened to Final Cut Pro X. Adobe is selling 50% more Premiere software thanx to a senseless "downgrade" from the amazing Final Cut Pro 7...
:mad:

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
I'm betting this is true. We would have already seen more speculation/spy-shots of the iPhone 5 if it was in production. They would be making hundreds-of-thousands a day. We would have seen something by now.

Fidgetyrat

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
Am I the only one who wants to keep the 3.5" screen? It's already large in a pocket and I'm sure as hell not strapping it to my hip.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I appreciate how Apple is always pushing forward, but too much change isn't always a good thing. I could see the Apple eco-system start to crumble if Apple begins changing their designs too rapidly. Case manufacturers invest heavily in producing new accessories for Apple products; if the shelf life of those accessories becomes a year or less, many of those manufacturers might not be able to make their investment back and might just abandon the Apple eco-system as financially untenable.

I would guess that the updated iPhone will keep the same form factor. The "radically new" iPhone will probably debut on the normal schedule, over the summer.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I don't believe iOS 5 is the sole reason for extended delay of the next iPhone. After the leaks with the iPhone 4, it wouldn't surprise me that Apple is keeping much tighter wraps on the hardware this time around.

I'm expecting Apple to pull something out of the bag to wow us with, all over again.

That is entirely possible. Perhaps what has been leaked, could simply be the production version of a slightly upgraded iPhone 4 model to take over for the current low end spot held by the 3GS. This would leave the big update still a secret, and potentially big.

Am I the only one who wants to keep the 3.5" screen? It's already large in a pocket and I'm sure as hell not strapping it to my hip.

I am with you here. I have an iPhone 4, and a first gen Droid that was handed down to me. I really like the smaller footprint of the iPhone 4, and the smaller screen really isn't an issue, due to the detail it has.

djepsilon

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'm betting this is true. We would have already seen more speculation/spy-shots of the iPhone 5 if it was in production. They would be making hundreds-of-thousands a day. We would have seen something by now.

After the debacle of the iPhone 4 leak last year, it's not crazy to think that Apple invested lots of time and money this year to keep this next generation phone a giant secret.

gramirez2012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Chicago, USA
Several thoughts:

1. As other posters have said, I can't imagine why it would take Apple 16 months just to speedbump a processor. Likewise, I can't imagine why they'd wait 16 months just for iOS 5.
2. There may be a 4S, but if there's a 5 (which there likely is), Apple is probably keeping it as secret as possible until launch. The competition is fierce.
3. I just want to ditch my paperweight iPhone 3G ASAP.

Dionte

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
Detroit
If this were true I'd get an Samsung Galaxy S II and just use my iPhone 4 as a iPod touch. iPhone 5 must have 1 gigs of ramz, a bigger screen, a5 processor (which is pretty much guaranteed), 4g would have been nice but it won't sway me one way or the other. Although given how much far off it is from previous releases it would seem as if it would include a 4g chip, what else are they using all this extra time for.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
The iPhone 4 is the number one selling smart phone. Today. Why should they hurry?

This rumor is the most believable to me. A bigger screen calls into question the "retina-ness" of the display. And increasing the resolution means they'll need to support true resolution independence, which developers would have been told about by now. I'm not sure it needs a radical redesign at this point either.

Have u compared the Android vs iPhone 4 screen side by side? It looks the same. Retina or not. The quality and color of the screens is visually identical. But that extra 1/2" of screen makes the iPhone look like a toy.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Oh well. I'm keeping my iPhone 4 another year anyway. Just give me iOS 5 please!

a.phoenicis

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Really excited about this. I've got a 3Gs, and have been really looking forward to upgrading to the 5, but was really bummed by the ugly taper-thing that was being bounced around. I would really love the 5 to have the same basic design as the 4, with a revised antenna scheme and beefed up innards.

Bring it on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.