Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pioneerf3-500x281.jpg
Pioneer has announced a pair of new iPod dock/shelf systems that are fully AirPlay compatible. The Pioneer X-SMC3-S Music Tap and X-SMC4-K Elite Music Tap both connect via Wi-Fi to AirPlay enabled iOS apps, and also include a pop-out dock for charging and syncing of compatible iOS devices.

In addition to Wi-Fi connectivity via AirPlay, the Music Taps include Aux-In, a USB port for connecting flash or USB hard drives with music files onboard, and the Elite model includes built-in Bluetooth for additional connectivity options.

The pair will be available in October, with the SMC3 for $399 and the Pioneer Elite SMC4 for $479.

(Hat tip to Gizmodo)

Article Link: Pioneer Announces Two AirPlay-Compatible Shelf Systems

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
Looks great, and I'm sure it works well. But as long as they still cost that much, I don't know why anybody would buy it.

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
Neat, but I really want AirPlay for my car. Not thrilled with my current use of aux-in, but I don't think the 30-pin adapter is really the future anymore.

Edit: Occurs to me that I'm also technically asking for WIFI in my car... which, yes, I am.

Last edited:

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
My new Denon receiver has Airplay. I didn't think Id really use the function because I have an Apple TV plugged in to it as well, and currently Airplay doesn't stream video.

But it does work nicely as far as automatically turning the receiver on and knowing to limit the volume so it doesn't come on ridiculously loud.

But I can't imagine paying that much for a system like that. I guess I'm a go big or go home type person though.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Neat, but I really want AirPlay for my car. Not thrilled with my current use of aux-in, but I don't think the 30-pin adapter is really the future anymore.

Edit: Occurs to me that I'm also technically asking for WIFI in my car... which, yes, I am.

I use the built in bluetooth in my car. Works well 99% of the time, no need for airplay or wifi.

----------

I would love to rip out my SYNC system for something like this, but I have yet found a way to do that...

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe you can do AirPlay over Bluetooth

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I believe you can do AirPlay over Bluetooth

Why not just ... use Bluetooth? (Apple might show it as AirPlay on iOS, I don't know. But Bluetooth devices have the added advantage of working with Macs--and any application--as well as probably being a lot cheaper.)

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.

You'll want to charge it, no? Might want to hang on to the 30-pin after all.

Tastic Bycrom

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Kansas City, MO
I use the built in bluetooth in my car. Works well 99% of the time, no need for airplay or wifi.

----------

I would love to rip out my SYNC system for something like this, but I have yet found a way to do that...

I've considered bluetooth audio, but I've heard complaints on sound quality... at least for in headphone use.

SYNC seems really cool though. I'd consider it.

----------

You'll want to charge it, no? Might want to hang on to the 30-pin after all.

Point being that Apple's been talking about cutting the cord, talk of micro usb standard charging in Europe, and Thunderbolt potentially replacing a lot of the existing functionality, I wouldn't be shocked if a future (6th gen?) iPhone would suddenly not have the classic 30-pin.

After all, there's nothing sacred about the 30-pin adapter... it's pin-out has changed before.

I'll still charge with it, but perhaps I wouldn't want it being the method of communication with my stereo.

HaiRy

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
Point being that Apple's been talking about cutting the cord, talk of micro usb standard charging in Europe, and Thunderbolt potentially replacing a lot of the existing functionality, I wouldn't be shocked if a future (6th gen?) iPhone would suddenly not have the classic 30-pin.

After all, there's nothing sacred about the 30-pin adapter... it's pin-out has changed before.

I'll still charge with it, but perhaps I wouldn't want it being the method of communication with my stereo.

Talking out of your arse there I'm afraid. There's a multi-million "dollar" industry out there of third party accessories based on the 30 pin connector. The brilliance of it is that accessories that work for one iPod, iPhone or iPad can generally work for them all. Do you really thinking Apple will screw over every supplier they've got?!

Oh and the EU thing is really a different kettle of fish. There's no "talk of" it happening - IT IS happening. But that doesn't mean you'll see micro-USB on the phone itself, potentially just an adapter to convert it to micro usb.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
:necro:

Picked one up on Woot week ago for $180. Works great.

Sound is good for what it is, a little bedroom shelf system. $399 would have been insane. But if you want something simple and easy like that, keep an eye out, floor has dropped out from beneath the pricing on these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.