Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

stephane_richard-150x150.jpg

As noted by Mac4Ever [Google translation], France Telecom CEO Stéphane Richard has reportedly claimed that the iPhone 5 appears set to debut on October 15th. It is unclear whether he has specific information on the release date or if he is simply basing his claim on circulating rumors of a mid-October launch, but as the top executive of a major iPhone partner Richard would be more likely to have accurate information than most.
If I believe what we heard, the iPhone 5 will be released on October 15.
Richard has a history of speaking rather openly about issues related to the carrier's business, including discussing Apple's desire to reduce the size of or eliminate SIM cards in its GSM-compatible devices, moving to a built-in "e-SIM". That idea has been opposed by carriers, and Apple has reportedly backed away from its e-SIM plans for at least the time being.

October 15th falls on a Saturday, which would be an unusual launch date for Apple, which prefers to launch its new iPhone models on Thursdays or Fridays. Consequently, some have suggested Friday, October 14th as the most likely date for a debut, although others have claimed that Apple could roll out the new hardware a week earlier on the 7th.

Article Link: France Telecom CEO Suggests October 15th Launch Date for iPhone 5

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
So whats it going to be? October 7th, 15th, 21st? Before you know it we will have November rumors. :rolleyes:

z3r0inc

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

where's that freaking event invite?!?!?!?

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
I need a phone within this month. Oh well, I'll just get a Galaxy S2. Sorry, Tim.

DrEZdoesIT

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
So whats it going to be? October 7th, 15th, 21st? Before you know it we will have November rumors. :rolleyes:

SERIOUSLY!! I feel like I am as reliable of a source as the rumor mill. 4S/iPhone 5 conflictions aside you'd think they could at least agree on the date. Or even on the date of when the announcement will take place.

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
well there are, like most months, 4 friday's in October, so he has a 25% chance of being correct.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Why are people that cant wait for the iPhone 5 switching to Android? Makes no sense.

Because they think Apple will read this and care, and then put the phone out early. He's gonna buy the iPhone 5. Just wants to stir the pot by saying he will jump ship if it's not out by day X.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Why are people that cant wait for the iPhone 5 switching to Android? Makes no sense.

Because the world cares about other things than the iPhone 5, and if somebody urgently needs an high-end smartphone, I think the SGS2 is one of the best choices that can be made.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Yeah but, once the iPhone 5 is released, everyone will be talking about the iPhone 6 anyway.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
Because they think Apple will read this and care, and then put the phone out early. He's gonna buy the iPhone 5. Just wants to stir the pot by saying he will jump ship if it's not out by day X.

That's a lot of assumptions you have there. Did you mistake me for your neighbour?

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Just release this lame duck phone already.
Why all the delays for basically a souped up iPhone 4.

Get working on the the LTE iPhone already.

I had no problem with this lame next phone when it was going to be released in June.

Now they delay and delay for what????

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Meanwhile…..

Jobs: “Stéphane, this is Steve…”
Richard: “Aaah bon jour Le Steve, mon ami………”
Jobs: “NO iPHONES FOR YOU!!!”
Richard: “Sacré Blue!!!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.