Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios5.jpg

BGR reports that it has received information from a "trusted source" outlining Apple's plans for finishing up work on iOS 5 and delivering it to the public. According to the report, Apple is planning to release the eighth beta version of iOS 5 to developers this Friday, September 16th. A golden master version is planned to follow about a week later "on or around" September 23rd.
After beta 8, Apple will introduce a Gold Master build on or around September 23rd as has been rumored. We believe that build is what will be loaded onto the already-assembled iPhone 5 hardware currently waiting for final software in China.
Apple's iPhone carrier partners are said to then be scheduled to give final approval to iOS 5 by October 5th should no issues be found with the release. If any issues are found, Apple will likely have to quickly develop a minor software update to be released as a patch alongside the official iOS 5 and iPhone 5 release.

As we reported yesterday, Apple has been claimed to be preparing to send iOS 5 out to iPhone assemblers sometime between September 23rd and 30th, giving them time to load the operating system onto new iPhones for delivery in early-to-mid October.

Article Link: iOS 5 Beta 8 on Friday, GM on September 23rd, Carrier Approval by October 5th?

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
I'll have my trigger finger ready at the Dev portal. :)

I'm really satisfied with the current beta, so I'm surprised to see another beta before GM.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
I'll have my trigger finger ready at the Dev portal. :)

I'm really satisfied with the current beta, so I'm surprised to see another beta before GM.

As am I. My only issue is S/MIME with IMAP in Mail. It always claims my certificate can not be found. My Exchange account works fine. This wasn't a problem in Beta 6.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Ugh, not another beta! That means the iPhone 5 event won't be next week now? :( Seems kind of odd to have the Beta 8 out for only one week before the supposed date of the GM seed.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
[obligatory]
**Comment about iPhone 5 Delay and how much more important it is than this news**[/obligatory]

Anyway, can't wait for iOS 5 to be handed out to the masses.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I thought that many apps were not working with iOS5? I still haven't seen updates to these saying the update is to fix compatibility with iOS5 and I don't think Apple is even approving iOS5 app submissions.

Am I missing something? Is this how it has worked in the past?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
The fact that no event invites have been sent out to the media as of yet, makes this whole thing seem so distant, despite all the rumored dates of iOS/iPhone releases.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Ugh, not another beta! That means the iPhone 5 event won't be next week now? :(

Apple usually sends out a media invite 1 week before an event.

Seeing as no one claims to have received any invites from Apple so far this week...

Personally, I think the smart money is on an event being held the last week in September, with iOS5 being released the same week as the new phones.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I thought that many apps were not working with iOS5? I still haven't seen updates to these saying the update is to fix compatibility with iOS5 and I don't think Apple is even approving iOS5 app submissions.

There is nothing stopping developers from releasing an update the fixes the compatibility issue right now.

chrisfromalbany

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I'm been waiting for this upgrade as much as I am waiting for the iPhone 5:). I remember upgrading my 3GS w/iOS 4 and it making a world of difference. Can you say messaging?? So in a way this is good news.

I still like to hear when the conference announcement for iphone 5 is..:D

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18 Twitter for iPhone)

Great news, iOS 5 is set.

Now, as long as the hardware doesn't disappoint, it will be a perfect upgrade.
Here's rooting for a bigger screen and rounded back, please no glass...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I like how a to-do app is one of the big new features of iOS5 :rolleyes:

Sounds good, my iPhone needs sth fresh. Its getting boring. My ipad will stay on 4 tho unless there will be an jb ;)

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise

I don't believe they are taking submissions using the new Xcode yet, but developers can submit updates that fix iOS5 issues their apps have. I know that the last Atomic Browser update included some iOS5 related fixes.

EmbraceTheOne

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2011
Apple will probably have the Event last week in September. Then say the iPhone 5 will be available starting next week, and Pre-orders starting that day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.