Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bookoftheweek.jpg
Starbucks has partnered with iTunes to give away free content since 2007, offering free redemption codes for a "song of the week". Earlier this year, Starbucks began offering a "Pick of the Week" iPhone app, including a high-profile promotion of SPY Mouse, a new game from Firemint/EA Games.

This week, Starbucks is offering an iBookstore redemption code for The Night Circus, a $12.99 book from Erin Morgenstern. The book is also being heavily promoted on the front page of the iBookstore.

Update: The "free" book does indeed appear to be an extended sample, not the complete book.

Starbucks noted last month that it would begin offering free "Pick of the Week" redemption codes for "Apps, extended samples of books on the iBookstore, TV shows, and more from iTunes."

Thanks Jared!

Article Link: Starbucks Offering Redemption Codes for Free Book-of-the-Week

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Great initiative! :)

iphoneg33k

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2008
Since starbucks are offering these items where do I download them ? Is there an app for these?

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I guess it's for US Starbucks and iTunes customers. :-(

I do have a US iTunes account but thousands of miles from a starbucks. Any idea how I could get a code. This book seems interesting.

Iamgort

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2011
Since starbucks are offering these items where do I download them ? Is there an app for these?

You can ask the cashiers for a pick of the week card which has a code you redeem with on the back of it. I also think if you connect to the starbucks wifi you can somehow login to a "starbucks network" or something and get it that way.

cbflip2000

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
It's BS. You only get an extended sample of the book totaling only 121 of a 400 page book. I just redeemed my code and that's all I got (a little under half a book)

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A5313e)

I love my company. <3

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is great to team with Apple. The best place to get books ever, iBooks.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
I was just thinking, I would love a free book but I never go to Starbucks now that I work at home

Like 5 minutes later my Calendar pops up for a meeting at you guessed it!!!

Starbucks!!

Free book here I come!

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
It's BS. You only get an extended sample of the book totaling only 121 of a 400 page book. I just redeemed my code and that's all I got (a little under half a book)

Strange. I skipped to page 300 on my iPhone and it opened up no problem. Mine is showing it is 327 pages.

I got a couple extra cards for any forum members that don't have a starbucks near them. Shoot me a PM.

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston

Anyone ever actually see a App of The Week card? I looked at Several Starbucks as I wanted the rumored Shazam Pro, but never found one.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
How's the book look Surf2Snow1?

or did you not get chance to read any.
Hard to get an idea from the cover.

wuman82

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008

Strange. I skipped to page 300 on my iPhone and it opened up no problem. Mine is showing it is 327 pages.

I got a couple extra cards for any forum members that don't have a starbucks near them. Shoot me a PM.

It is just an extended sample. The complete book is 400 pages according to iBook store description, while the starbucks version gives you only 330 pages.

This is kind of lame, no where on the starbucks pick of the week card does it say that its only an "Extended Sample"

jbertschi

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011

Is it possible that the 121 / 327 / 400 pages is due to preferences of font size? Or have you gone to the last page that got downloaded and verified that it was not the end?

It's possible that the download is timing out (may be worth deleting the book and downloading again). Did you download from iTunes or from an iOS device?

wuman82

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
Is it possible that the 121 / 327 / 400 pages is due to preferences of font size? Or have you gone to the last page that got downloaded and verified that it was not the end?

It's possible that the download is timing out (may be worth deleting the book and downloading again). Did you download from iTunes or from an iOS device?

I personally downloaded it from my iphone. The book cover in iBook says that its an extended sample, and if I went to the last page of the book it says "If you enjoyed this extended sample of The Night Circus, buy the complete book:"

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
How's the book look Surf2Snow1?

or did you not get chance to read any.
Hard to get an idea from the cover.
Didn't get a chance to read yet unfortunately.

I downloaded the iTunes route. I am also viewing on a 3gs. The last few words I have on page 327 are:
he nearly falls out of the tree.

----------

I personally downloaded it from my iphone. The book cover in iBook says that its an extended sample, and if I went to the last page of the book it says "If you enjoyed this extended sample of The Night Circus, buy the complete book:"

Just looked on mine, page 328, which wasnt listed originally, says the same thing.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
boooo for a sample only.

I was hoping it was a preference for font size or font choice.

BJWanlund

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008

Ehh, if I'm not completely and utterly drawn in by the half a book, I just won't buy the full book. I hope, however, that Starbucks & Apple decides that it is better in the future to give away the full book, rather than an "extended sample".

BJ

Buffy6

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
I still have 2 codes for Ritual Union by Little Dragon. Does anyone want one? Or want to trade for The Night Circus? I'm unable to go to Starbucks this week. lol

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
It would be awesome if starbucks don't run out of redeem code! Everytime I go there iTunes song of the week is always out. I wonder how that is with app and ebook redeem code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.