Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Journojulz

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
"@Stroughtonsmith" - now there is a man currently being blacklisted across every tech corps in the valley and beyond as "can't be trusted to keep his yap shut".

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
Apple first needs to give its customer REAL choice in video cards. Their current offerings are crap. A mobile graphics card in the iMac? Are you kidding me?

These high res screens will put a dent in performance, thats for sure.

Yes the current offering is "low spec", but what do you exactly expect from Apple?

It's the way that their mainstream products have been for the last 20 years.

And why: Because they are just that; main stream products. They function fine for 90% of users.

If you want more, Apple wants you to shell out more cash for a Mac Pro.

Matte screen please. Can someone explain what could take advantage of 3840x2160?

My thoughts exactly. The resolution of the current 27" iMac at 2560x1440 is O.K for most things

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
Its still a desktop. A crappy mobile GPU has no place in a desktop. I'll take an extra half inch in thickness that I'll never be bothered with if it means throwing in a video card that gives me RESPECTABLE performance.

As an objective Mac user, I fully defend in the PC users laughing at Macs for having the poorest choice in graphics.

Sorry mate, but what a few edge case users want in their computers simply don’t correlate with the 80% of the population that simply doesn’t know or care. Apple sells to them. Hardcore gamers which lets face it are about the only people who actually care about graphics cards shouldn’t really be using a Mac for gaming anyway.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Can someone explain what could take advantage of 3840x2160?

How about seeing text, etc. on your display at 200+ PPI instead of 100-110ish we have now? Your display would look more like a printed page instead of pixelated or heavily anti-alliased.

If "retina" resolutions are achieved you wouldn't be able to resolve pixels at normal viewing distances even without anti-aliasing being used.

hi_dpi.jpg

http://developer.apple.com/library/...s.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40003409-CH3-SW4

Last edited:

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
****. I hate to imagine what gaming would be like on a 250+dpi monitor. Video cards have to have like 5G+ VRam to support those kinds of resolutions =_=

MacintoshMan

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
Would love to see apple focus on their computers again. It's all been iPods, iPhones, iPads...

I got my wallet ready for a redesigned Macbook Pro (non unibody fan here)
The rumors been over the last 8 months that apple was looking to do a complete redesin and overhaul. Aswell as ad super high res displays.

Hope that this happens in February or something along those lines, the Macbook Pros are kind of dull unless you spend over 2k.

Also, because everyone thinks their a visionary genius by shooting down the idea (thus impeding technological adavancement) there are a ton of amazing advantages to such high res displays.

1) Text becomes much smoother, you don't notice the difference till you compare.
2) You can fit much more on one screen (This makes a big difference for DJ's or anyone that have to cram allot in such a small space
3) when working with 4k red footage, you can now view at full resolution.

Basically it helps any "PRO" mac user, those who use our computers for a living. Anyone that casually uses their Mac for facebook and iTunes won't really benefit and neither will understand the point.

Suck it haters.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Would love to see apple focus on their computers again. It's all been iPods, iPhones, iPads...
Yeah not like they have been releasing updated MacBook Airs, Mac Minis, MacBook Pros, etc. with nothing new like TB, or any new OS like Lion. It has been all iPhones (oh wait no it hasn't recently), iPads (oh wait no...), or iPods (oh wait no...).

MacintoshMan

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2006
Yeah not like they have been releasing updated MacBook Airs, Mac Minis, MacBook Pros, etc. with nothing new like TB, or any new OS like Lion. It has been all iPhones (oh wait no it hasn't recently), iPads (oh wait no...), or iPods (oh wait no...).

lol half ass updates don't count. Like your basic processor addition and maybe thunderbolt which has no peripherals yet!

Let me know when the last Mac Pro was released and when the last design change was. twerp.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
I'll need a high resolution display for developing retina iPad apps. :)

It will also be good for text rendering, as has already been mentioned.

Great also for camera photos. Even my iPhone has a 5 megapixel camera, but no Mac has a screen capable of displaying the full image pixel perfect. Even a high res display wouldn't match the high res images from dedicated cameras.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
lol half ass updates don't count. Like your basic processor addition and maybe thunderbolt which has no peripherals yet!

Let me know when the last Mac Pro was released and when the last design change was. twerp.

Why on earth would the Mac Pro need a design change? The core demographic is obviously concerned with power over aesthetics.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain

I got my wallet ready for a redesigned Macbook Pro (non unibody fan here)
The rumors been over the last 8 months that apple was looking to do a complete redesin and overhaul. Aswell as ad super high res displays.

Hope that this happens in February or something along those lines, the Macbook Pros are kind of dull unless you spend over 2k.

Also, because everyone thinks their a visionary genius by shooting down the idea (thus impeding technological adavancement) there are a ton of amazing advantages to such high res displays.

1) Text becomes much smoother, you don't notice the difference till you compare.
2) You can fit much more on one screen (This makes a big difference for DJ's or anyone that have to cram allot in such a small space
3) when working with 4k red footage, you can now view at full resolution.

Basically it helps any "PRO" mac user, those who use our computers for a living. Anyone that casually uses their Mac for facebook and iTunes won't really benefit and neither will understand the point.

Suck it haters.

Nope, it would have more resolution but everything should have more footprint too, what used to be a 100x100 icon would be 200x200 icon and so forth, just like the iPhone and it's retina display, you have more resolution but everything takes the same space in the screen as before.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Does anyone else find it funny that Microsoft uses the term "Retina Display" like it's the name of a technology, while it's a marketing name Apple created.

Next thing you will know, Microsoft will officially use this term everywhere and object to Apple's patent claiming it's a generic term.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Erm, Microsoft's had support for high-DPI displays since ~95

----------

Does anyone else find it funny that Microsoft uses the term "Retina Display" like it's the name of a technology, while it's a marketing name Apple created.

Next thing you will know, Microsoft will officially use this term everywhere and object to Apple's patent claiming it's a generic term.

I'm pretty sure that's the tweet, not Microsoft marketing lingo. When they showed off the intel Ultrabooks, there was nary a mention of the Macbook Air.

shawnce

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2004
Nope, it would have more resolution but everything should have more footprint too, what used to be a 100x100 icon would be 200x200 icon and so forth, just like the iPhone and it's retina display, you have more resolution but everything takes the same space in the screen as before.
However for UI elements that could use the extra resolution to display more content they can and will do that. For example na area of the UI showing an image can show more pixels from that image when the user zooms in, etc. The same can happen for things like audio timelines, etc. In other words they aren't locked to always show things at the same physical size, it depends on the UI element / context what will happen.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I'm pretty sure that's the tweet, not Microsoft marketing lingo. When they showed off the intel Ultrabooks, there was nary a mention of the Macbook Air.

That's why I said "officially". But still, no matter the communication method, the guy represents Microsoft and speaks publicly. He has to be professional.

That's like if Tim Cook replied to a fan email saying the next Apple TV will support Kinect technology. There's a lot of more professional ways to describe those features without using your competitor's marketing name.

NakedPaulToast

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009

No, what I find funny is how you just made up that Microsoft is actually using the term "Retina Display".

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
How about seeing text, etc. on your display at 200+ PPI instead of 100-110ish we have now? Your display would look more like a printed page instead of pixelated or heavily anti-alliased.

While that is nice, it's nothing that aids 99.99% of the programs these days. It'd be nice to see, but I wouldn't rush out just so I can sit 2" away and look at smooth text. Sitting 2'+ away from a current monitor, you can't tell there is pixelization in normal text.

There is a very small sliver of users that will see "retina" displays as a boon rather than a novelty. I agree with the poster saying this is 3 years away from mainstream/affordable.

AverisDaddy

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2011

Indeed. They are all following right now. They have no choice if they want to stay relevant.

NakedPaulToast

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
That's why I said "officially". But still, no matter the communication method, the guy represents Microsoft and speaks publicly. He has to be professional.

That's like if Tim Cook replied to a fan email saying the next Apple TV will support Kinect technology. There's a lot of more professional ways to describe those features without using your competitor's marketing name.

Maybe I got the article wrong. Isn't the "He" @Stroughtonsmith is reffering to a Microsoft employee?

No, Stroughtonsmith is an indie developer, attending a Windows 8 keynote. He's probably more of a Mac guy, as his site is littered with iOS Apps and he tweeted from a Mac.

He doesn't represent Microsoft at all.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
I wish people would make up their mind. First only the iPhone 4's screen was tEh Retina, now according to this, my Nexus One's screen is also tEh Retina with a 254 PPI screen.

Hype words and their silliness... If anything it gives us things to talk about. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.