Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
We did already know in May 2011 (just use Google) that Ivy Bridge allows more cores (i.e. more transistors) and smaller designs (22 nm tri-gate, therefore lower TDP).

...We know from Intel’s press release that tri-gate transistors enable a 37 percent jump in processing speeds with low voltage requirements. For example, tri-gate transistors require less than half the power when at the same performance compared to 2D planar transistors fabbed on the 32-nanometer process....

...from
http://9to5mac.com/2011/05/30/ivy-bridge-chips-pushed-to-2012-macs-will-have-to-wait/

...and
http://newsroom.intel.com/community...ng-new-3-d-structure?cid=rss-258152-c1-266892

:rolleyes:

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Thinner is good and all, but not if it limits the components you can put in the notebook. The CPU may be okay, but having thinner enclosures will really limit the options for dedicated GPUs which have not had a major push toward lower power consumption. Being forced to go with lower performing GPUs would be disappointing after Apple looked like they were trying to move GPU performance a step up by going with the HD6750M which is a higher tier GPU for its generation than the GT330M/9600M GT were.

Are there a lot of people who actually pick up a MacBook Pro and say 1" is unacceptably thick?

And if Apple removes the optical drive, hopefully they add it to the Thunderbolt Display. Optical discs still have use and adding it to the Thunderbolt Display really completes it as a dock.

voyagerd

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2002
Rancho Cordova, CA
The Rockwell codename went away a while back. It's Broadwell these days...

Sandy Bridge > Ivy Bridge > Haswell > Broadwell > Skylake > Skymont

Haswell will be by far the biggest leap forward in a long time (since Merom, the original Core2 Duo). All the others are just evolutionary steps by comparison.

Didn't the Skymont codename go away too?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Haswell will be by far the biggest leap forward in a long time (since Merom, the original Core2 Duo). All the others are just evolutionary steps by comparison.
Sandy Bridge seems to be considered a major change since the entire microarchitecture had to be touched to incorporate 256-bit AVX. Other major changes include redesigning the front-end to incorporate a Netburst inspired uop cache, greatly expanded the out-of-order capabilities with switching to a physical register file method, besides allowing the execution units to be ganged for AVX they also have expanded capabilities to make them more symmetric, and significantly the load memory bandwidth has doubled removing an important microarchitecture bottleneck. Major connectivity changes also had to be made to integrate the IGP.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Thinner is good and all, but not if it limits the components you can put in the notebook. The CPU may be okay, but having thinner enclosures will really limit the options for dedicated GPUs which have not had a major push toward lower power consumption. Being forced to go with lower performing GPUs would be disappointing after Apple looked like they were trying to move GPU performance a step up by going with the HD6750M which is a higher tier GPU for its generation than the GT330M/9600M GT were.

Are there a lot of people who actually pick up a MacBook Pro and say 1" is unacceptably thick?

And if Apple removes the optical drive, hopefully they add it to the Thunderbolt Display. Optical discs still have use and adding it to the Thunderbolt Display really completes it as a dock.

This, and especially the bolded part. I cant think of any reason why a person would consider the MBP thick currently. I think it is .8 inches actually. My concern is that the MBP 13 replacement is the 13 Air. They can get an extra 100 out of it. 1299 vs 1199. + Apple has always had a major erection for the MBA. Any other PC they made that started off like the Air would have been discontinued.

They want to impose what they think is the acceptable computer and still cant grasp that people like variety. Next year I see it like this.

11' Macbook $999
13' Macbook $1299 both will lose the Air names and be called Macbooks. Basically the 13' Pro is done.

15' Macbook Pro and 17' will be thinner, lose the optical drive. Have an average GPU and 256GB of SSD memory. Price will stay the same.

Which leaves only the iMac as the only computer they make I have any interest in. Which means I may have made a great move moving back to Windows a month ago. I prefer choice. Hopefully that doesn't happen but the writings on the wall IMO.

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Trinity vs. Ivy Bridge

So Very true, Next year is going to be an incredible year. I am sure Apple will be watching closely as they have shown no preference in company but in quality with the now AMD/ATI graphics on the latest macs.

Ivy Bridge, smaller, more efficient, and more powerful processors with a (rummored) way better GPU that finally transcends Intel 3000 (which was about the same as the 320M)

Trinity, Bulldozer revision 1, Bulldozer has already taken the crown as the worlds most powerful processor. But now it will have an integrated APU, making Intels 3000 GPU look like a joke! But AMD (in my oppinion) is not known for being power efficient, 8 cores will really drain your brain!

whatever the case, next year will be a great year for components. Major reason why i decided not to update this year!

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I need functional, not fancy. I don't want to be forced to an SSD until I can afford one big enough for my needs. I don't care about USB3 on a desktop, and certainly don't care on a laptop. I just passed over a USB3 portable drive and laughed all the way home-- that little 2.5" drive couldn't strain the data rate of USB2, whats the point of adding USB3 circuitry?

And if I have a storage array fast enough that I care about the data transport, why the heck would I choose USB anyway? USB for mass storage is an abomination...

Give me more battery life and lighter machine, and I'm happy. I don't think I've used my optical drive more than once a year or so since 2005.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Just make Quadcores cooler and I'm happy. The current 17" MBP runs the i7 to its maximum of 100°C within seconds and then has to cut back the Turboboost clock-rate. So in the end you get hotter *and* slower. Not to mention the fan-noise. Not good!

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
They want to impose what they think is the acceptable computer and still cant grasp that people like variety. Next year I see it like this.

11' Macbook $999
13' Macbook $1299 both will lose the Air names and be called Macbooks. Basically the 13' Pro is done.

15' Macbook Pro and 17' will be thinner, lose the optical drive. Have an average GPU and 256GB of SSD memory.

I think the MacBook Air is too much of a marketing value to Apple to drop it for a more common sounding MacBook. I think Apple would re-arrange the line-up like this:
11' MacBook Air : thin 'n lite, ultraportable, lifestyle, less power
13' MacBook: will replace 13' Pro, more power, speedier SSD, still thin
15' MacBook : more power than 13", superb discrete GPU for gamers & content creators, matte display color corrected
17' MacBook Pro : superb speed & power, pride of Apple, desktop replacement, legacy ports, insane battery life, 8 GB RAM std

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Ivy Bridge's power usage decrease will mean how much more battery time at current standards?

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Trinity, Bulldozer revision 1, Bulldozer has already taken the crown as the worlds most powerful processor. But now it will have an integrated APU, making Intels 3000 GPU look like a joke! But AMD (in my oppinion) is not known for being power efficient, 8 cores will really drain your brain!
Bulldozer already taken the crown as the worlds most powerful processor? Which Bulldozer processor is available in stores or at the very least had press samples given out for independent review sites to test? Consumer Bulldozer parts don't look to ship for a few months yet and AMD isn't even listing the server Bulldozer parts on their website even though they said they've started shipping. Being able to hit 8.4GHz with liquid helium doesn't make a processor the most powerful. Afterall, Merom (Core 2 Duo) in many cases could match the performance of Presler (Pentium D) at half the frequency. I don't doubt Bulldozer is much improved over K10, but I'll wait for it to be available in volume with reviews being in before labeling it the world's fastest processor.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Awesome. Less power usage is good, as long as raw processing power isn't sacrificed because of it. I'm sure the 10 watt reduction has a lot to do with Intel's Tri-Gate, which is what Ivy Bridge utilizes.

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who is still rooting for more CPU/GPU power. It's all about crappy super-low invisibly thin tablets now. And that's fine and all, power/weight reductions are a good thing, just so long as performance isn't sacrificed. Some of us use laptops for more than just Facebook. :p

When are the Ivy Bridge CPUs coming out?

Rumors point to Q1 2012. However, that could mean as late as April.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.