Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

vmware_fusion_4_multiple_os.jpg

Virtualization firm VMware today announced the launch of its new Fusion 4 software to allow Mac users to run Windows and other operating systems virtualized alongside their native OS X operating systems. Optimized for OS X Lion, VMware Fusion 4 offers more than 90 new features, including the ability to run OS X Lion in a virtual machine as is now permitted by Apple's licensing.
With more than 90 new features and now optimized for today's multi-core Macs and OS X Lion, key features in VMware Fusion 4 include:

- Built for OS X Lion - VMware Fusion 4 is designed to provide the best Windows experience on OS X Lion. Add Windows programs to Launchpad, experience them in Mission Control, view them in full screen or switch between them using Mac gestures.

- Better Performance and Faster Graphics - VMware Fusion 4 has been engineered to run Windows and Mac applications side-by-side with incredible speed and reliability. As a 64-bit Cocoa application, it is optimized for today's multi-core Macs and delivers 3D graphics up to 2.5-times faster than previous versions of Fusion.

- Even More "Mac-like" Experience - VMware Fusion 4 enhances the way Windows programs run on a Mac. From the brand new settings menu to the redesigned virtual machine library and snapshot menu, users have even more Mac-like experiences when running Windows programs.

- Lion Squared - VMware Fusion 4 now supports OS X Lion in a virtual machine, allowing users to get more from their Mac by running OS X Lion, OS X Lion Server, Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server and Mac OS X Leopard Server in virtual machines.
VMware Fusion 4 is being offered at a promotional price of $49.99 until the the end of the year, after which time pricing will be set at $79.99. Users who purchased Fusion 3 on or after July 20th are eligible for a free upgrade to Fusion 4.

VMware's primary competitor in the virtualization market is Parallels, which released its own Lion-optimized version two weeks ago.

Article Link: Lion-Optimized VMware Fusion 4 Debuts with Over 90 New Features

kwiky

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2011
I hope this is better than the half baked parallels v7 for lion inside of lion.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I've never seen the reason for a VM running Windows on a Mac because the price is almost the same as just buying a low-end laptop with Windows 7.

For school, I needed windows and looked into Parallels and realized that for a few dollars more, I could just buy a separate Toshiba laptop. At least this allows for redundancy because if one computer breaks, I have another.

With a VM, if your Mac breaks, it breaks and that's it.

finkmacunix

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

IMO vmware 3 was slower than Parallels when it came to 3D graphics…

I hope it supports 3D acceleration for none-windows hosts…

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
And the upgrade path to version 4 from 3 is where, exactly?

A pain in the arse that it looks like previous owners of Fusion have to buy new (at least at the special price). And at least, unlike Parallels, there hasn't been regular expensive upgrades to buy. Fusion is still the cheaper of the two overall for those that have stuck with both products since their early beginnings.

Martyn

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I've never seen the reason for a VM running Windows on a Mac because the price is almost the same as just buying a low-end laptop with Windows 7.

Having everything on 1 computer is the big advantage of running a VM with Windows. Having to manage 2 different computers is a pain.

Not to mention a Windows license + VirtualBox is cheaper than a Windows 7 laptop.

I have to use a Windows VM for work. I wouldn't want to use a separate laptop.

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
Having everything on 1 computer is the big advantage of running a VM with Windows. Having to manage 2 different computers is a pain.

Not to mention a Windows license + VirtualBox is cheaper than a Windows 7 laptop.

Back when I was working in the visual effects business where most artists were using Linux desktops but needed Windows for Photoshop (since Adobe wouldn't port it to Linux despite the likes of Disney Animation and pretty much of the Soho VFX facilities lobbying Adobe to do so), virtualisation tools like VMWare saved a fortune on KVMs and multiple machines. Just the artist a beefed up machine and they can work on multiple OSes with ease.

Martyn

Necross

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Why would you want to run a virtual machine running lion, if you're already running lion?

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas

For school, I needed windows and looked into Parallels and realized that for a few dollars more, I could just buy a separate Toshiba laptop. At least this allows for redundancy because if one computer breaks, I have another.

So you carry two laptops around ?

Already have a windows license, I'd like to know where I can a Toshiba laptop for $50 ?

If you don't need to switch back and forth, you should just make a Windows boot partition on your Mac.

Also, Crossover can be pretty convenient too,
http://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover/

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002

I would love to get this $170 toshiba laptop. Where do you get it? What kind of processor does it have?

MrMoonX

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2009

serious LOL

VMware 4 is about $50 i got win 7 for about the same, so you tell me where I can get a $100 laptop??

movielad

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
Surrey
Why would you want to run a virtual machine running lion, if you're already running lion?

Perhaps I might be an Apple Developer and want to run beta software within a virtual machine as so not to muck up the physical machine. Apple hardware is significantly expensive for me not to want to use a Macbook Pro as a glorified experiment.

MArtyn

Lailoken

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2006

It depends. As a student your time is worthless. You may want to work for minimum wage, but I love all my free time NOT spent re-installing windows and simply reverting snapshots. Then also I would need a high-end gaming PC to replace my gaming VM. I actually do have one lying around unused at the moment, but I prefer playing windows games on my iMac. They all run without any problems so far on Parallels 7.

Then there is the consistency and continuity of development/programming and testing work I do. I have used the same VM for the past 10 years now for certain of my development work, while other users around me have lost theirs/reinstalled many times/just wasted time.

Thanks, but no thanks. I prefer a light footprint and flexibility.

solgae

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2011

I don't quite get what you're saying...cause you can buy both VMware Fusion/Parallels Desktop and Windows 7 license for roughly less than $200 ($80 for Fusion/Parallels Desktop + ~$100 for Windows 7 License). Last time I checked, none of the laptops outside of netbooks (still questionable) will cost you less than $200.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
The laptop I bought was $299 (no tax or shipping charge). Parallels was almost $200. Why pay to put Windows on an existing computer when you can have redundancy by having Windows on a separate laptop?

Everyone's needs are different. My need was to be able to run one program that was Windows-only, and figured it'd be good to get a separate machine and have Windows on its own piece of hardware.

It didn't seem right for me to pay almost $200 to put something on an existing computer bought in 2009, when I could have a backup computer in case anything happened.

Lailoken

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2006
Perhaps I might be an Apple Developer and want to run beta software within a virtual machine as so not to muck up the physical machine. Apple hardware is significantly expensive for me not to want to use a Macbook Pro as a glorified experiment.

MArtyn

Yup, it seems some people just still "don't get it" when it comes to virtulization.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK

I want to do it to test a number of applications I don't want to install on my main Mac. I'd naturally prefer a second Mac to test it on, but that costs more money and takes up space, so virtualisation is the way forward.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

If you're asking that question, then you are not the target audience. Software and system developers and network engineers use this to have (cheap) test systems.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

Having a VM on a computer IS having two computers. I don't see how a VM with a second desktop operating system running in it actually makes life easier or less complex.

I still firmly believe that when you need a VM with a second desktop OS in it, then you are basically walking with a crutch and your preferred host operating system was not the right choice for you.

The funny thing is that you usually do not see average Windows users with an OS X or Linux VM; they can do everything they want with Windows, only OS X and Linux users usually have to have a VM with a second OS around to get their stuff done. That tells me more about OS X and Linux then it tells me about Windows.

And no, developers and geeks do NOT count as average users.

cajun67

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011

Home users probably don't have a lot of reason to do this, but lots of business reasons. For example, developers can test code in a Lion VM without fear of taking down their systems. QA folks can boot into a pristine install of Lion for testing, as often as they need to. Or admins can set up multiple virtual Lion servers per box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.