Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olemrboston

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2011
WI
I'm with this above statement, the opening on my cover for my camera is freaking huge compared to the small dot that is really the Camera lens...
:)

The opening on your camera could be larger than others. If you go to the developers site for apple you can obtain documentation should you want to create covers for the iPhone4. In there it explains about the amount of relief you must have around the camera aperture to prevent distortion of the image being taken.

Larger lens could possibly = optical zoom of 2x? maybe??
-Or possibly an extra LED for macro photos???

*just saying those could be some neat little features, we will just have to wait and see :p

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
And another contradictory rumor to throw unto the pile. No seriously at this point it's just ridiculous. There isn't even a shred of logic anymore, it's just a bunch of guesses.

I think we should just chill on all these leaks, all it does is build hype and eventually will generate disappointment.

You really shouldn't read a 'rumour' site if you have that attitude...

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Meh... Many people, including this cover manufacturer, are basing a lot of assumptions on a design document for a purported phone which has so far not been substantiated by any other evidence - at least, as far as I know..!

As much as I would like to see a very different iPhone 5, all the more solid evidence so far (actual parts etc.) would seem to indicate that the iPhone 5 is more likely to be a "4S" - No major cosmetic changes, but simply a spec bump.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though! ;)

Last edited:

Tyrannosaurs

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2008
Regarding the home button being capacitive or not: that would likely require more technical information than the producer of this had.

To make a cover all you need are measurements. I'm guessing that they've played it safe not knowing the nature of the enlarged home button and left it uncovered.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
...as for the button in this design being capacitive - I think that's a fair guess, otherwise why would it need to be so big?

However, I think it is also a standard push button, as this functionality my be required for things like resetting the phone - also, simply to differentiate between a "tap" and a "click", like with the MagicMouse/Magic Trackpad. (e.g. accidentally going back to the home screen by accidentally tapping/touching the home button would be a annoying - therefore a more positive push/click action would be needed).

kenkamm

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't see a hole for the front-facing camera, so I'm highly skeptical.
The screen protector is clear - so why would you need a hole for a front facing camera?

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
...as for the button in this design being capacitive - I think that's a fair guess, otherwise why would it need to be so big?

if it isn't captive, it doesn't need to be that big and it might well be a decoy from Apple (purposely leaked document...) or just another phone. Say a Samsung Gallaxy as previously suggested.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
For the love of all that is holy....

"Announce this Apple and put us all out of our misery".....

Apple CEO office

Staffer - "excuse me Mr. Cook, another contradictory report has made its way onto the internet as scheduled. All is going to plan"

Tim Cook [solemn expressison] "and are people getting frustrated by our lack of official information?"

Staffer - "Yes Mr. Cook, it's starting to verge on a mixture of pandemonium, confusion, mistrust, hope, fear, and a lot of male testosterone"...

Tim Cook - "Male testosterone you say" [rub's hands in a Montgommery Burns fashion] "Excellent....."

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
wow - I am so over the iPhone 5 rumours now ...

And yet you read it, clicked on the comments link, clicked through and typed out a post. :rolleyes:

It's MacRUMORS for a reason. And don't say, "well yeah, MACrumors" because that doesn't apply anymore, especially when almost half of Apple's revenue comes from iOS products.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
I've lost track already. Any theory about the "next iPhone" (can't risk a name) has just about the same chances at this stage... and boy have we heard enough of them.

Kudos to Apple for the secrecy control. At this point last time (that is, "one month prior to release", NOT "september 2010"), we already knew almost everything about the iPhone 4. Not this year. Either they kept everything super tight that third parties are guessing/flooding us with rumors, or it's Apple itself spreading contradictory info.

Maybe this cover manufacturer made the hole bigger and elongated "just to be on the safe side" (= it WILL work too with the current round button :) )

One thing is for sure: At least, one month from now it will all be over... or will it?

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
The screen protector is clear - so why would you need a hole for a front facing camera?

They aren't clear enough for the camera to see though, if nothing else, the screen protector would wash out the image with the LED flash.

The hole is there anyway, see arn's post.

PlipPlop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2010
Maybe it will allow you to do some gestures on it like on the HTC Diamond. Why you wouldnt do them on the screen though....

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I am freezing myself, someone unfreeze me when iPhone 5 is released.

Oktnxbye

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You really shouldn't read a 'rumour' site if you have that attitude...

No, I'm all for rumors. Rumors based on leaks, anonymous tips, sources of some kind no matter how weak or improbable. This is just a guessing game at this point with everyone just throwing out whatever is passing through their head. We're getting something like 5 stories a day about the iPhone 5 all saying things that are contradictory and can't all possibility come true.

It's just too much. Hype is building, people are already getting disappointed over the more conservative rumros, it's just utter madness. I've not seen something this bad before over a rumored Apple product.

This is why we had page 2 before, for this kind of crap. In fact, I dare say that this is the first time we've had a major product launch come up without page 2 being there. Maybe this is a direct result of Arn removing page 2 ? Maybe these would be better off in the iOS blog section rather than the Front page ?

Lershac

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Baton Rouge, LA USA
is there any idea yet

When they will actually announce? Is there a regular event at this time of year? I have been holding off upgrading all 3 iphones on my plan (1 4, a 3gs and a 3) in hopes of this thing coming out soon. If its a 5 with a different form factor, I am laying out some cash, if its a 4s I dont think I will do the 4.

thesalmonator

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
There will be no elongated home button. This case manufacturer (and indeed all of them) have NO inside info on the next iPhone. Anyone who thinks so is kidding themself. They are all simply speculating on the same rumours we are in a hope to get a jump on the competition. Just think, with Apple keeping this design so heavily under wraps why would they then just hand out copies of the design to Chinese case manufacturers? Even carriers and Apple stores don't know anything! Dumb.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Let's see. Lots of possibilities (some tongue in cheek)

• Apple switches to Menu / Home / Back buttons so the phone can dual boot iOS and Android, thus stealing the entire market in a ju-jitsu type move.

• Clickable gesture area, similar to some laptop touchpads.

• Customizable buttons for launching favorite apps like the Camera.

• Gaming controls!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.